W-Bothers Randy Hawkins Exhuast...

7 replies to this topic
  • jj

Posted July 22, 2000 - 08:02 AM

It sounds like the way to go is the power bomb header with the Stroker silencer (which Stroker model is that?). Thanks Clark!
Does any one have any experience with the Hawkins exhaust from W-Brothers? The August Dirt Rider has another exhaust comparison and they seemed to be very impressed with the power and that fact that it was one the most quiet silencers they tested.
The tests were done on a 426. That brings up another question. What can we "400" riders take away from this 426 comparison. Are these exhausts going to preform similar on the 400's?
If the Power Bomb would fit on the Hawkins, that may be a whole nother can of worms... :)

JJ - 99 WR; WR timed, stock jetting, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Terry Cable Hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Russel speed bleeders, Factory Effect graphics, YZ rear fender

• Clark_Mason

Posted July 22, 2000 - 08:12 AM

I'm using the Stroker SX-1 spark arrester with YZ mounting along with the Power Bpmb header. This combination is an excellent trade off for performance, power and quiet. I like it. It is not as zippy as the louder exhausts but it works excellent on the trail and is quieter and less tiring on a long day of riding. Of all the exhaust combinations I like this the best for trail riding, riding out of my garage and dual sport. If you motocross and or don't care about noise then the WB, DSP, Yosh, would be a better fit. But for forest, dual sport and general crusing its a fantastic combination.

• jj

Posted July 23, 2000 - 08:20 AM

Clark, do you have any experience with the Hawkins exhaust. I've read your thoughts on the E-series Pro-Meg, but I haven't seen anything about the Hawkins.
Dirt Rider has said that the exhaust has more HP through most of the RPM's than a stock 426 exhaust. Infact, the Hawkins with the stock head pipe had more HP on 22 of the 32 possible RPM ratings (every 250, from 3500-11250) than the stock 426 exhaust. The Stroker SX-1 S/A only had higher HP ratings on 3 of the possible RPM ranges (2500, 2750 and 3000 RPM's). They also rated both exhausts at 102 db. Hence the reason I ask... :)
Do you know if the Power Bomb will fit the Hawkins? I figure if you like the way the Stroker works with the Power Bomb it must have improved the power dramatically. If thats true maybe it will do the same for the Hawkins. That would be impressive...
Thanks again for your input.

JJ - 99 WR; WR timed, stock jetting, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Terry Cable Hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Russel speed bleeders, Factory Effect graphics, YZ rear fender

[This message has been edited by JJ (edited 07-23-2000).]

• Clark_Mason

Posted July 23, 2000 - 12:38 PM

I have no experience with the Hawkins muffler. The PowerBomb is the same OD as the stock and should work in any application where the stock header will fit. If WB says the Hawkins will fit the WR stock header then the PowerBomb should fit fine.

Remember that you can get the quiet turn down tip for the Stroker set up if you need to get quieter and the exhaust and noise is aimed backward and not out the side like the WB.

My thoughts anyways

[This message has been edited by Clark Mason (edited 07-23-2000).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mike

Posted July 24, 2000 - 01:37 PM

did you ever get the Db's rated on your setup. Inquiring minds would like to know. Also, doesn't the WB E series have a turn down tip . I've seen pic's but don't know if this is a quieter setup then just the disks. It appears it becomes the last disk instead of the plate that is on the normal e series. Will that turn down also quiet the e Series. I have the quiet core insert in the pipe and it does help but still is to loud for Ranger Rick.

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 24, 2000 - 03:47 PM

If you haven't seen it, Dirt Rider has a pipe shootout for the YZ426 too. They mentioned the SX-1 SA as being the quietest of the group even before installing the (3 quietest) tips that are available..

• Clark_Mason

Posted July 24, 2000 - 05:46 PM

In order to have the spark arrestor function on the WB e-series exhausts you need to run the closed end cap and disks reqardless of what the tip on the end of the disks looks like the exhaust and noise are exiting out the sides. If you remove the last blocking plate and put on a turn down tip you have a straight through pipe with no spark arrestor and it will be louder than with the disks.

I'v been tested plenty of times and ridden with several exhausts but not tested with the Stroker / FMF PowerBomb. My estimate is it is between 97 and a 100dB and a good 3dB quieter with the larger of the quiet tips which is the one I have. My estimate is totally in line with the results found in the bike mag(s) tests. If I am ever tested with this setup I will post the test results immediatly on my return home. But I'm not going searching for a Ranger with test equipment.

Again the Stroker SX-1SA with the FMF PowerBomb header is an excellent comprimise system between power, ridability, and quiet. If noise is important to you this setup needs serious consideration. If you ride motocross or don't care about noise then go with the WB, DSP, Yoshimura, or FMF stuff and blast away. I need something more tollerable for riding out of my garage, dual sport, and riding in the national forests--while I still can!!

[This message has been edited by Clark Mason (edited 07-24-2000).]

• Mike

Posted July 24, 2000 - 06:30 PM

thx Clark, I have ordered the power bomb head pipe, going to try it w/ the e series and the quiet core insert to see. If it is not what I want, then I will seriously consider the Stroker set up. thx for the info.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.