Honda's goof?

18 replies to this topic
  • azmanxman

Posted August 02, 2007 - 09:41 AM

OK I seem to be making a habit of this, so I apologize before hand.

Here goes. So I'm having a intermitent problem with my carb flooding out (I'm thinking stuck float). I open the carb up (again) and clean. As always everything seems to be fine and there's no problem with the action of the float.

I go to reassemble and I'm suddenly confused about which side is 'up' for the float. I refer to my Honda manual and it shows 'flat' side facing down (the side with the bevelled edges facing up). But I've just been looking at the Honda schematics on-line and believe it or not, it is shown the other way.

I'm not kidding. Check your manual, and then look at this.....

http://www.arizonaho...name=CARBURETOR

It clearly shows the float the other way, with the 'belly' of the float hanging down. Now I know it's only a parts schematic, but it is from Honda, and they usually show all the parts the way they install.

This actually seems to make more sense to me, but it could be wrong.

Which one of these is correct? I'm guessing it will make a huge difference in the amount of fuel that would be allowed to sit in the bowl before activating the shut-off. Could this be the cause of my flooding woes?

• martinfan30

Posted August 02, 2007 - 10:18 AM

sounds like the float has been upside down to me!

• Huffa 2

Posted August 02, 2007 - 11:43 AM

The float is correct in picture, the float needle #2 IS NOT. Look close, it's upside down.

Not positive here, but I don't think the needle would fit in right if the float was upside down ? I think there would be no way you could slide it in the brass float tangs.

• azmanxman

Posted August 02, 2007 - 11:44 AM

That's what I'm wondering too. It's in the way the manual shows, the question is whether the manual is showing it the right way or the wrong way.

Do you remember which way yours is?

• Rockjockey

Posted August 02, 2007 - 11:50 AM

It sits in like the Arizona Honda fiche shows it I think.

• Huffa 2

Posted August 02, 2007 - 11:50 AM

That's what I'm wondering too. It's in the way the manual shows, the question is whether the manual is showing it the right way or the wrong way.

Do you remember which way yours is?

NO but it just HAS to be that way in schematic link you posted, the float would be way high the other way, gas would be to the very top of bowl and flood the heck out of the motor, that's just my theory of course, I'm by far no carb expert.

So your saying yours was backwards ??? :bonk:

• HeadTrauma

Posted August 02, 2007 - 12:25 PM

The fiche shows both the float and needle upside down in relation to how they fit into the carb.

Posted Image

• Kawabuggy

Posted August 02, 2007 - 12:53 PM

It's funny you guys are talking about this.. When I got my bike, I went to change the jets and realized that my floats were in upside down as well. Someone had bent the tab to make it work upside down. I flipped them over so that they look like those in the picture above my post, and the bike has been running fine after I adjusted the tab. Go with the picture above! It is correct!

• azmanxman

Posted August 02, 2007 - 12:56 PM

'Headtrauma', thanks for the picture. That's the way I currently have mine installed, which is per the manual, but contrary to Honda's Microfiche.

'Huffa2', my 'logic' tells me it should be the other way too for the very reasons you stated. It just doesn't seem right for it to sit the other way, but i'm pretty convinced it does, and the microfiche is wrong. The float will install either way just fine, I've tried.

Let's get a few more opinions on this just to be sure!

Also, assuming we get past this question OK, what's the proper position for holding the carb when you're trying to measure the float? 90 degrees (horizontal), or 180 degrees (upside down)?

Thanks again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted August 02, 2007 - 01:24 PM

it has been a long time since ive had to measure the float level, but i remember the carb upside down.

• HeadTrauma

Posted August 02, 2007 - 01:50 PM

I can't help but wonder how the bike could run right with the floats pointing down. The slow jet barely has fuel covering it anyway.

Posted Image

• Huffa 2

Posted August 02, 2007 - 03:37 PM

I can't help but wonder how the bike could run right with the floats pointing down. The slow jet barely has fuel covering it anyway.

Posted Image

Yes that is true and more understandable now that I see that pic.

:excuseme: I don't think any machine I ever had, had them that way though.

Glad you brought this up azman ! :thumbsup:

• bosshog

Posted August 02, 2007 - 05:50 PM

I thought mine would only fit one way. Dosen't one side have an indent for the overflow or something else in there? I just don't remember it fitting more than one way. Or am I misstaken?

• HeadTrauma

Posted August 02, 2007 - 06:05 PM

Straight from the Clymer manual, this is how it looks:

Posted Image

and this is how the level is checked:

Posted Image

• Huffa 2

Posted August 02, 2007 - 08:43 PM

I thought mine would only fit one way. Dosen't one side have an indent for the overflow or something else in there? I just don't remember it fitting more than one way. Or am I misstaken?

That's what I said too and HT's pictures show that.

HT, your my kinda TT guy :thumbsup:

I wish everyone posted pic's to explain, makes it so easy then, thank you.

• HeadTrauma

Posted August 02, 2007 - 11:41 PM

Sure thing. :thumbsup:

I find it easier than trying to explain something that will likely seem unclear to others.

• Huffa 2

Posted August 03, 2007 - 02:13 AM

Sure thing. :thumbsup:

I find it easier than trying to explain something that will likely seem unclear to others.

Me too buddy, I try to post pic's/links/whatever on everything I'm talking about, if that subject really needs them .

• azmanxman

Posted August 03, 2007 - 08:17 AM

So I removed the carb again last night and gave everything another good cleaning.

The adjustment on the shut-off seems spot-on so I didn't mess with that any more. I did however slightly adjust the angle that the float is allowed to fall down to. There's a little 'tab' on one side of the metal hinge and I bent that just a little to keep the float within a narrower range of motion.

My theory behind this? Not sure that I really have one other than it seemed to have more range than needed to open the float valve up. Figure it might just help it from getting stuck in the open/down position if it's not at such an accute angle. We'll see.

On closer inspection I did notice there is some wear on the inside of the hinge from the retaining pin. I think I'm going to order another float and pin and see if that helps too.

Keeping my fingers crossed for now, meeting a few guys tomorrow for a good long day off-road in Southern Arizona. It's monsoon season and there's puddles and mud everywhere. A real novelty for us desert dwellers!

Of course I'll be crossing my fingers and packing plenty of tools too. "Faith without works is dead" as the Bible says.

Thanks to all for your great advice and help. This forum rocks!:ride:

• martinfan30

Posted August 03, 2007 - 12:14 PM

i remember the monsoons when i lived there while going to tech school. cool stuff, nothing like a brownish-red wall from ground to sky coming at you at 100+ mph! have fun and good luck!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.