Aluminum frame cleaning

27 replies to this topic
  • runester

Posted August 02, 2007 - 09:13 AM

Hey all

Somehow my frame has gotten what looks to be a water stain running down the right side of the frame in front of the airbox ...I dont think thats what it is but thats what it looks like, I dont really use chemicals to clean it but if/when I do I get em off quick and dont wash it in the sun, is there any type of metal/aluminum cleaner out there that will clean this?
Thanks!
Rune

• mmbasa

Posted August 02, 2007 - 09:26 AM

WD40 and a scotchbrite

• runester

Posted August 02, 2007 - 09:34 AM

WD40 and a scotchbrite

Thanks, but wont a scotchbrite scuff it up?

• mmbasa

Posted August 02, 2007 - 09:56 AM

Posted Image

• Justin89

Posted August 02, 2007 - 10:49 AM

No they wont, I use those and sometimes and SOS pad for the boot marks on the frame and it dosent scratch anything up at all.

• bigwake

Posted August 02, 2007 - 04:49 PM

try a product from wal mart..its called scratch out..i use it allllllll the time on my cars and frame..whenever you have a scratch that hasn't removed to the paint..use it! this stuff is amazing!! my car gets berry stains from a tree..and this stuff takes it out like nothing! its bascially a car wax...but it works miracles! try it on your frame and see if it goes away..

• tommyj

Posted August 02, 2007 - 05:49 PM

Simple green and 0000 (super fine) steel wool works awesome!!!

• bigwake

Posted August 02, 2007 - 05:59 PM

o yes! i can deffinately vouch for that combo! i use it allll the time!!

• cowboyona426

Posted August 02, 2007 - 06:25 PM

0000 steel wool? :eek: I've been using the 00 and had good results myself. A scotchbrite sponge and some metal polish also helps (blue magic), I've also used orange glo hand cleaner on a scotch brite pad. I'd like to go nuts on the frame and sand it down smooth this winter- I HATE that textured finish!

• tommyj

Posted August 02, 2007 - 06:31 PM

0000 steel wool? :eek: I've been using the 00 and had good results myself. A scotchbrite sponge and some metal polish also helps (blue magic), I've also used orange glo hand cleaner on a scotch brite pad. I'd like to go nuts on the frame and sand it down smooth this winter- I HATE that textured finish!

i just went with 0000 cause i didn't want to scratch the frame. it works so i just stuck with it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • runester

Posted August 02, 2007 - 10:15 PM

Right on,
Thanks for all the replies...
I think I'll try the steel wool, I have loads of it in my garage for cleaning gasket material off engines, I also think I'll pick some of that stuff from walmart, I got the berry tree out front...drives me F...ing NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is dropping like a thousand a day right now, Thanks to everyone,
Rune

• bigwake

Posted August 03, 2007 - 07:19 AM

ya..i forgot to mention..the scratch out is in a little yellow bottle

• Polar_Bus

Posted August 03, 2007 - 09:49 AM

another vote for WD40 and a fine scotch brite pad..... makes your frame look new again.

• treygreen

Posted August 03, 2007 - 10:18 AM

I used multiple grades of sandpaper and then some mothers aluminum polish. Bling Bling. It does scratch easily again but it will only take 5 mins to buff her back to a shiny mirror like finish. Went to the track two weeks ago and got a lot of compliments.

• Darvo

Posted August 03, 2007 - 10:23 AM

I use wd-40 and a rough steel wool. I don't like the look of polished frames, so I try to keep the texture to mine for the dull aluminum look.

It just depends on what you like.

• Red Falcon

Posted August 03, 2007 - 11:12 AM

I use the Scotch Brite maroon pad (recommended in the manual for Honda CRF's. I've used it and it works well.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 03, 2007 - 11:14 AM

I like the dirty look......so no frame cleaning for me:p :p

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 03, 2007 - 06:52 PM

I think the water stain is from letting the water sit on the frame too long. When I wash my WR I spray it down with simple green, hose it off and then blow the water off with a shop vac. No water stains even washing it in direct sunlight :thumbsup:

• Polar_Bus

Posted August 04, 2007 - 04:51 AM

I like the dirty look......so no frame cleaning for me:p :p

Yea, it's fun to pull into the pits with a dirty bike, and just spout off BS like "I just came from Budds Creek racing in the AMA pro-am-vet national series" The gullable young kids fall for it every time.... and then all of a sudden you're GOD in the pits.....

• Ga426owner

Posted August 04, 2007 - 05:04 AM

Yea, it's fun to pull into the pits with a dirty bike, and just spout off BS like "I just came from Budds Creek racing in the AMA pro-am-vet national series" The gullable young kids fall for it every time.... and then all of a sudden you're GOD in the pits.....

amen:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.