Scotts Dampner

17 replies to this topic
  • farmrider

Posted August 02, 2007 - 06:40 AM

Sirs

I am getting an 07. How much better will the bike be with a dampner?

Is it worth the $?

How hard is it to put on?

Thanks
:worthy: :worthy:

• Mutu

Posted August 02, 2007 - 06:48 AM

I don't think you need them at all.
Do you get any headshake?
I would put that money towards a revalve (and respring if needed). Money spent much better IMO.

• 250f canuck

Posted August 02, 2007 - 06:55 AM

I've got one on my 250 and really like it. I can go faster through really rough stuff without worrying about the bars being jerked to one side. I don't get as tired trying to keep the bike straight and can relax a bit more on the bike. I think it has a positive effect on all bikes.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted August 02, 2007 - 07:00 AM

I don't think you need them at all.
Do you get any headshake?
I would put that money towards a revalve (and respring if needed). Money spent much better IMO.

i will never ride a bike with out one. spend the money it is well spent. once you try it you will wonder why you havent had one all along. you will never go back

• Mutu

Posted August 02, 2007 - 07:46 AM

i will never ride a bike with out one. spend the money it is well spent. once you try it you will wonder why you havent had one all along. you will never go back

I've got a damper on the 250. They ain't that special.....

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted August 02, 2007 - 07:49 AM

I've got a damper on the 250. They ain't that special.....

take it off and try to ride like you normally do and you will be suprised

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 02, 2007 - 07:50 AM

I rode for 30 yrs without one.... got one for my 07' and LOVE IT!

I got the BRP Submount kit, I think the whole thing was less than $400.

• Mutu

Posted August 02, 2007 - 07:52 AM

take it off and try to ride like you normally do and you will be suprised

I never bothered getting one for the 450, revalved susp. is more than good enough. :ride:

• Mutu

Posted August 02, 2007 - 07:57 AM

I got the BRP Submount kit, I think the whole thing was less than $400.

Thats real cheap!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted August 02, 2007 - 10:10 AM

Thats real cheap!

For a bar riser - (already needed one)
and Scotts Damper, I'd say it was real cheap! Installation was great and it made a huge difference not only at speed in the desert but I also adjust it for technical single track and like it:thumbsup:

The damper is no substitute for good suspension tuning... my 07' works great with only spring rate changes for my weight... no valving changings to date:thumbsup:

• ThompsonV311

Posted August 02, 2007 - 03:14 PM

A steering damper has nothing to do with suspension. You can have all the suspension tuning that money can buy and still not get the results that a damper will provide. Tuned suspension is not going to make your bike stay straight in deep sandy washes, or rocky chop. Or those hidden bowling ball size rocks in the sand wash that take your bars out of your hand. The stabilizer handles those conditions not suspension tuning. If you are an off road rider you will benefit from having one, and once you ride with one you will never own a bike without one. Track riders don't really need them since they are on a groomed surface. Do yourself a favor and buy a Scott's damper setup. That way you can swap it onto any new bike you buy with just a mounting kit.

• h20mn

Posted August 02, 2007 - 03:51 PM

have 06 450 rode for a year with out one. installed a scotts 4 month's ago.Huge differance and I just mostley trail ride. Installation was not that bad had to upgrade to pro taper bars.

• flatnacker

Posted August 02, 2007 - 06:25 PM

How many pros use them?

• ThompsonV311

Posted August 02, 2007 - 06:49 PM

Pro off road guys or supercross guys? Check out a National Hare & Hound Desert race, walk down the start line and try to count. You'd be better off counting the few that don't. But Just to throw a few out there. Ty Davis' whole team, Destry Abbot, Kurt Caselli, Mike Childress, Robbie Bell, Kendall Norman, Chris Blais, American Honda bikes 1x, and 2x.

• ccoates445

Posted August 02, 2007 - 06:55 PM

I'm 6'5" 280lbs and I have only been able to do just so much with my suspension. New springs and re-valving obviously helped tremendously. But it was the scotts stabilizer that really made the difference. I really like to go fast and the sand washes are my favorite place to go now. :applause: They aren't for everyone though. I do understand that quite a few pros do ride with them. There is a list of them on the scotts website. :ride: I do think you will enjoy the difference. Cheers

• Woodshop

Posted August 02, 2007 - 07:31 PM

Yes Sir :thumbsup:

• Woodshop

Posted August 02, 2007 - 07:33 PM

How many pros use them?

All of them in the desert :ride:

• bicyclebob

Posted August 06, 2007 - 06:10 PM

I have the GPR stabilizer. It came on my bike and started leaking so I sent it in for repair and they sent me a new one for the price of a rebuild ($25). The thing rocks. Wish I had one on the 250.:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.