WR 426 to YZ 450 plastics, anyone done it?

I lost 5th gear on the old WR426. She's been a good bike, a 2002 that has been faithful.

I came to the conclusion that I will have the tranny rebuilt and I found a guy locally to do the work.

That takes care of the mechanicals...now for the ergos. I was wondering if anyone has ever made a switch from the 02 plastics and tank to 03-05 and up stuff. If so, was it worth the trouble/cost? I figure the seat would be flatter and a bit more narrow.

Also, while the mechanic is in there tearing it up. Is there anyting else I should be replacing? Any common wear items that with 5 years on them I should replace just to be safe?

I love the bike, but it wasn't easy deciding to rebuild and put money into my 5year old bike. These things have changed quite a bit over the last couple of years.

Also, while the mechanic is in there tearing it up. Is there anyting else I should be replacing? Any common wear items that with 5 years on them I should replace just to be safe?.

Piston, rings, cam chain, sparkplug. It'd be a good idea to have your mechanic buddy check the sproket on the crank for wear. If its worn, you'll have to replace the whole crank as its all one piece.

How many miles does the bike have?

I believe a guy named "Teamscream" did the same conversion and may be abler to help you out as well. You will likely find him in the Supermoto Forum... as that is where he lurks the most... You can do a search for him in it and find some of his posts... Good Luck, Jamie

My 01 426 with 03-05 bodywork.....parts to update a pretty cheap if you look around a little. I got the subframe and airbox (new) for $60 off of ebay...I think the IMS tank was around $85.....the rest of the plastic was surprisingly cheap from the oem TT store.

DCP_5760.jpg

I had to make some mounts to support the tank....just pieces of aluminum attached to the old mounting lugs and tapped where the new tank mounting holes are located....

DCP_5778.jpg