WR 426 to YZ 450 plastics, anyone done it?

7 replies to this topic
  • Anravqsuh

Posted August 01, 2007 - 11:11 PM

I lost 5th gear on the old WR426. She's been a good bike, a 2002 that has been faithful.

I came to the conclusion that I will have the tranny rebuilt and I found a guy locally to do the work.

That takes care of the mechanicals...now for the ergos. I was wondering if anyone has ever made a switch from the 02 plastics and tank to 03-05 and up stuff. If so, was it worth the trouble/cost? I figure the seat would be flatter and a bit more narrow.

Also, while the mechanic is in there tearing it up. Is there anyting else I should be replacing? Any common wear items that with 5 years on them I should replace just to be safe?

I love the bike, but it wasn't easy deciding to rebuild and put money into my 5year old bike. These things have changed quite a bit over the last couple of years.

• Nick Marlow

Posted August 02, 2007 - 08:53 AM

The tank needs to have a bracket made to hold it in place.

Subframe needs to be modified and or purchase a 03-05 subframe then of course a seat and appropriate plastics...

new rear master cylinder for new subframe and the rest is pretty easy.. Its doable..

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 02, 2007 - 03:46 PM

Also, while the mechanic is in there tearing it up. Is there anyting else I should be replacing? Any common wear items that with 5 years on them I should replace just to be safe?.

Piston, rings, cam chain, sparkplug. It'd be a good idea to have your mechanic buddy check the sproket on the crank for wear. If its worn, you'll have to replace the whole crank as its all one piece.

How many miles does the bike have?

• Mutu

Posted August 03, 2007 - 04:35 AM

Check this out!
http://www.thumperta...light=post pics

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 89TRX350RX

Posted August 03, 2007 - 08:21 AM

I believe a guy named "Teamscream" did the same conversion and may be abler to help you out as well. You will likely find him in the Supermoto Forum... as that is where he lurks the most... You can do a search for him in it and find some of his posts... Good Luck, Jamie

• Strattos

Posted August 03, 2007 - 10:22 PM

I'm running an 02 YZ tank and seat on my WR426. All goes straight on and made a big difference to ergos.

WR radiator shrouds also fitted perfectly.

As mentioned above 03+ is a bit different.

• moto2000

Posted August 05, 2007 - 07:57 PM

My 01 426 with 03-05 bodywork.....parts to update a pretty cheap if you look around a little. I got the subframe and airbox (new) for $60 off of ebay...I think the IMS tank was around $85.....the rest of the plastic was surprisingly cheap from the oem TT store.

Posted Image

I had to make some mounts to support the tank....just pieces of aluminum attached to the old mounting lugs and tapped where the new tank mounting holes are located....

Posted Image

• jocolo

Posted August 07, 2007 - 11:13 AM

• gas tan
  • plastics
  • subframe
  • r. master cylinder
  • seat
  • airbox
I did it to my YZ426
you'll need
this brackets

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
and it will look like this
Posted Image
or this

Posted Image

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.