Seized 650R chain adjuster bolts

10 replies to this topic
  • rhythmofbeing

Posted August 01, 2007 - 04:33 PM

New-to-me used bike, and the adjuster bolts are seized. Very seized. I've tried a whole lot of penetrating oil, tapping, and patient pressure.

As of now, one of them is already sheared off flush with the swingarm, and the other is awaiting verdict on its fate.

I'm comfortable drilling out and installing a Helicoil, but the problem is that the bolts are so close to the side of the swingarm that I can't get a drill bit (or the Helicoil install tool) to sit straight on the top of the bolt.

Does anyone have experience drilling these bolts out, or any other suggestions?

Thanks.

• dr x

Posted August 01, 2007 - 04:43 PM

A friend of mine had the same problem...i ended up getting involved and we just found a really long 6mm drill and kept sharpening it every few goes.....after the bolt was drilled out he put in this insert, i cant remember what he called it but it was about 8mm od and 6mm id like a giant grub screw with thread on the inside and outside.
I can find out the proper name if you want ...hope this helps
good luck

• rhythmofbeing

Posted August 01, 2007 - 05:28 PM

Yeah, it'd be great if you can refer me to the tool. I'm a little worried about drilling out the entire 8mm bolt, as a good portion would drop off inside the swingarm.

Another option I considered is just tapping the bolt itself for a new 6mm adjuster bolt, but the problem again is getting the tap tool to work in such a tight space.

• Docmarkw

Posted August 01, 2007 - 05:51 PM

I had the same problem and it's tough to drill it out without screwing up the threads. I ended up just drilling it out and retapping it for a bigger and in my opinion better KTM adjuster bolts.

• dezracerE

Posted August 01, 2007 - 07:30 PM

E-bay- new swing arm.
The easiest way,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dr x

Posted August 02, 2007 - 02:23 AM

E-bay- new swing arm.
The easiest way,

Its a good point! there are two or three on ebay at the moment in this country..

• dr x

Posted August 02, 2007 - 05:31 AM

Yeah, it'd be great if you can refer me to the tool. I'm a little worried about drilling out the entire 8mm bolt, as a good portion would drop off inside the swingarm.

Another option I considered is just tapping the bolt itself for a new 6mm adjuster bolt, but the problem again is getting the tap tool to work in such a tight space.

They are called "Timeserts" http://www.timesert.com ...after you put them in you screw the tool through the insert that opens it out hope this helps

• Desertskyy

Posted August 02, 2007 - 07:13 AM

I had the same problem and it's tough to drill it out without screwing up the threads. I ended up just drilling it out and retapping it for a bigger and in my opinion better KTM adjuster bolts.

Docmarkw, I would have to say that your set up is nice with the KTM adjuster bolts. Honda should of used that size bolt from the beginning.

• InternalCombustion

Posted August 02, 2007 - 06:18 PM

Wheter you drill out the old bolts or buy a new/used swingarm, be sure to drill and tap the bottom rear of the swingarm (both right side and left), to allow a moisture-drain screw to be installed on both sides.

Its a 15-minute job and once you do it will allow you to periodically drain any condensation out. Also you can spray a douche-load of WD-40 up into the cavity to slow any corrosion that's already ocurred to the adjuster bolt.

After I found my right-side adjuster locking up (thankfully, still allowing almost full adjustment range) I did this simple step. When I pulled the drill bit out after drilling the hole, about a half teaspoon of water tricked out. A real pisser, but at least its now under control.

I hope this is helpful.

This is one of the few quirks with the 650R...

• porterdog

Posted August 02, 2007 - 07:18 PM

When I pulled the drill bit out after drilling the hole, about a half teaspoon of water tricked out.

+1; same exact thing happened when I drilled the 'arm.

• rhythmofbeing

Posted August 02, 2007 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, amigos.

IternalCombustion: where did you locate your drain screws? On the bottom (earthside)? Is the wall thicker in any particular place, or is it thick enough to support a new tap anywhere? Fabulous idea, and I wonder if I could get penetrating oil on the other bolt by doing it your way.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.