Clutch will not disengage - 03 YZ450F

11 replies to this topic
  • 08gsxr1000

Posted August 01, 2007 - 07:45 AM

I had to put in a new shift shaft so I put in new clutch plates too. The clutch lever pulls the cable, the clutch basket / plates loosen but the clutch is not disengaged.

:banghead:

Any ideas?

...Tom
(510) 331-6005

• grayracer513

Posted August 01, 2007 - 10:14 AM

Did you oil the plates?

When you say the clutch won't disengage, do you mean that you can't get the bike in gear, or that it won't sit still in neutral with the engine running, what?

• trashboxes

Posted August 01, 2007 - 11:32 AM

I'm having this same problem with my trike. You can click it into gear but when you pull in the clutch to put the engine in neutral to shift again it doesn't work. What do you think the problem is?

When you pull in the clutch while going in gear it will stay in gear not neutral

• 08gsxr1000

Posted August 01, 2007 - 01:22 PM

When the bike is running and put in gear from neutral after pulling in the clutch lever it lurches and stalls. The clutch is not disengaging. When the bike is on the stand, not running, it seems to shift into all the gears. Also, the rear wheel will not move at all when the bike is in gear and not running with the clutch lever pulled back.

(Yes, I oiled all the plates)

TIA...

• 642MX

Posted August 01, 2007 - 01:26 PM

Sounds like a cable adjustment problem. I recently ran into a similiar problem when I helped a fellow TTer put a new clutch in. After a few cable adjustments it worked perfectly.

• grayracer513

Posted August 01, 2007 - 02:54 PM

Possiblities:

>Adjustment, like he said. Too much free play.

> You used aftermarket plates that are too "squishy" when new. Some non OEM plates compress and rebound excessively when they're new. That puts too much friction on the plain plates. If this is the problem, it usually gets better in a while.

> Uneven spring pressure. Tilts the pressure plate.

> Notches in the basket fingers or boss splines.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 08gsxr1000

Posted August 01, 2007 - 11:24 PM

Thanks for the replies

Okay other points I should have mentioned:
No free play (was already adjusted)
The lever action on the clutch lever is very hard, use to be smooth like butter
I also watch the pressure plate action, it was even
The clutch also has new springs.

I way over adjust the cable and lever to try to get it to clutch to disengage. The clutch arm is traveling a good distance. No change to the problem.

I thinking something got messed up when I replace the shift shaft but I can seem to figure it out. I plan on taking it a part again but want to be on the look out for the potencial problem. TIA...

• grayracer513

Posted August 02, 2007 - 09:42 AM

Whose springs and plates are they?

• 08gsxr1000

Posted August 02, 2007 - 09:50 AM

barnett

• grayracer513

Posted August 02, 2007 - 11:50 AM

IMO, Barnett springs are unnecessarily stiff, and are the cause of part of your problem. I have had experiences like yours with Barnett plates, as well. They got better after a couple of rides, but I don't use them anymore.

I choose, in order of preference;

Hinson/GYT-R (same stuff, different names)

OEM Yamaha

• 08gsxr1000

Posted August 02, 2007 - 04:15 PM

Yea, but I had put back the OEM springs and there was no change. The problem is not an issue of breaking in the clutch. I will be taking it a part to figure it out this weekend. Thanks...

• 642MX

Posted August 02, 2007 - 05:26 PM

Keep us posted.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.