08 frame changes?

5 replies to this topic
  • tjmunro

Posted August 01, 2007 - 12:39 AM

langston seems to like the 08 frame. taken from racerxcanada.

He also showed up at the press conference with a pretty good cut on his chin, he told this crazy funny story about the champagne cork hitting him and cutting him open. Except that he didn’t make it up, it really happened. He’s also stopped flying his plane and the banner behind it saying he hates his bike. He now has an ’08 frame and all is well with him.

any body know the differences between the 07 and 08 yz450f frames

• Jeremiah

Posted August 01, 2007 - 11:48 AM

I read the yama website, but don't remember the details. I just wanted to say that Langston is not short on complaints...never has been.

• Dr.Crankenstien

Posted August 01, 2007 - 01:57 PM

I read the yama website, but don't remember the details. I just wanted to say that Langston is not short on complaints...never has been.

Or Excuses

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • djtroy

Posted August 01, 2007 - 02:33 PM

They shortened the steering stem. It worked wondwers for a bike that didn't corner very well. Langston wasnt lying.

• tonto256

Posted August 01, 2007 - 02:37 PM

The fork tubes are also shorter to help lower the front end.
Langston tells it like it is, no matter who pays the bills.

• grayracer513

Posted August 01, 2007 - 03:43 PM

They shortened the steering stem. It worked wondwers for a bike that didn't corner very well. Langston wasnt lying.

The fork tubes are also shorter to help lower the front end.
Langston tells it like it is, no matter who pays the bills.

It depends on what exactly they did to the frame when they shortened the stem.

If you shorten the stem, you obviously have to shorten the steering head. You can do this from the top or from the bottom. If you shorten the head from the bottom, and leave the fork unchanged, the bottom clamp simply slides up the fork, and the top clamp and the top of the forks stay in the same place. If you then shorten the fork, you lower the front.

If, OTOH, you shorten the head from the top, the position of the top clamp is now closer to the ground than it was, and you have to shorten the forks to compensate.

If I were to want to make a steering geometry change in a bike I manufactured, I would simply change the head angle without all the foolishness of retooling stems, etc., especially since it requires retooling the frame, anyway. Making the head steeper would necessitate some shortening of the fork, but very little (2-3mm) They may in fact have changed the head angle, anyway, but the two are independent of each other. Shortening the stem has no effect on steering geometry unless you lower the top clamp and then don't shorten the forks.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.