18 inch wheel for 426

3 replies to this topic
  • Hick

Posted July 17, 2000 - 12:05 PM

Howdy all,

I was wondering if anybody had any contacts or advice for a YZ owner wanting an 18 in rear wheel. I would prefer a complete wheel to simply swapping rim and spokes of a WR, that way I can have both 18 and 19. But I don't want to shell out $450 for an aftermarket Talon/Excel wheel.

Do 98's have diff. hubs than '99s? Are YZ and WR wheels/hubs interchangeable (w/ exception of 18 vs 19 in.)?

Does anybody see any reason why a WR wheel won't bolt right up to my YZ? If not what are the odds of me finding a used one?

I figured I'd post to WR group due to nature of question...

Thanks in advance for all advice and help!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 17, 2000 - 12:47 PM

I just switched from an 18 inch to a 19 inch wheel on my WR. I just purchased a new 19 inch rim and spokes then had it laced up with the original WR hub. I swithched to the 19 inch because 95 percent of my riding is MX.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoGreg

Posted July 17, 2000 - 04:49 PM

I just read that most of the factory bikes were running 18's at Glen Helen and soon it'll be all 20" fronts and 18" rears except for SuperCross. Posted Image

------------------
MotoGreg - The voice of a new millennium
'99 WR400 - 'cause thumpers rule!
'92 GSXR 7/11 (But I wanna trade it for a dope 916)
You can visit my photo album for $1 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK

• Hick

Posted July 18, 2000 - 08:08 AM

Originally posted by James in Phx:
I just switched from an 18 inch to a 19 inch wheel on my WR. I just purchased a new 19 inch rim and spokes then had it laced up with the original WR hub. I swithched to the 19 inch because 95 percent of my riding is MX.

James in PHX,

Would you consider selling me your WR's original 18 in rim and spokes? I have friends and family in PHX area.

Reply or send an email:

burt@123mail.net

Thanks!

MotoGreg:

Yeah, I read that too about all the factories w/ 18 inchers at GH. I already read a test somewhere (MXA?) where they put a 20 inch w/ a Dunlop 756 or 739 on a 426 and testers raved about traction. Test said that 18" on rear compliments 20" front. I wonder when Excel will make rims/spokes available for YZ/WR?

Any other WR owners swithced to 19" rear?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.