raising fork tubes`

9 replies to this topic
  • ScottyR

Posted July 15, 2000 - 05:59 AM

I want to get my 2000 WR to bite better in the corners. How much should I raise my fork tubes. I just set them so they are flush with the mark that circles the fork tubes about 5mm down from stock. Is this OK or too low/high? Thanks!!

• Mike_S

Posted July 15, 2000 - 06:13 AM

Perfect now add a Clark or IMS tank and it will rail like a yz250.

Posted July 15, 2000 - 01:14 PM

I raised mine 10mm above the fork clamps. It know slices through the tight as well as any bike I've ever riden and even better than some. The YZ seat and tank also make a BIG difference. Raise em up and go eat a DRZ.

00WR FMF909 Teambend bars Airboxlid removed Baffle removed WR timing MSR raptor clutch lever Aceribis rally handgaurds Forks raised 10mm YZ tank Doug henry seat All lights removed

• jj

Posted July 15, 2000 - 03:35 PM

I had good results with 5.5-6mm. I did notice that I gave up a little stability at the upper reaches of fourth gear but a stabalizer straightened that right out! Any excuse you can make to get a stabalizer...

JJ - 99 WR; WR timed, stock jetting, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Terry Cable Hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Russel speed bleeders, Factory Effect graphics, YZ rear fender

• Trent

Posted July 15, 2000 - 06:53 PM

I don't understand why a YZ seat and tank would make the bike handle better. Please enlighten me! Is the YZ seat also more comfortable than the 2X4 feeling stock seat on my 98?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jj

Posted July 17, 2000 - 10:00 PM

Trent, the YZ seat and tank flatten out the seat angle found on the WR. This allows you to move about another 2-3 inches closer to the handle bars. It's defintely on my to get list next.

JJ - 99 WR; WR timed, stock jetting, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Terry Cable Hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Russel speed bleeders, Factory Effect graphics, YZ rear fender

[This message has been edited by JJ (edited 07-18-2000).]

• Taffy

Posted July 18, 2000 - 01:31 AM

it's such a simple thing to try, it's a two minute job. just take some tools go & find out. start developing your own skills. everyone should have said "scotty, try it!"

nobody has asked you your weight or how soft your sussies are. this can have an impact on the final result. best to start learning for yourself & then you to can join in with the best part-the bullshit! (you call it bench racing).

"what do you think scotty?"

"well i found that if you...."

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 18, 2000 - 05:46 AM

I had been riding/racing MX bikes since 1977. When I bought my 99 WR, I was pretty happy, although I did miss my "Comfortable" riding position. I was toying w/ getting the YZF tank and seat but had a real hard time justifying the purchase price. I found that blowing off my desire kind of worked for awhile. One day I was at a dealer who had a YZF400 there. I sat on the bike and the rest is history. At that point, my bike (in this case the YZF) felt familiar and comfortable. I did realize my range would suffer substantially w/ the ~2 gallon tank. Since I did not plan on riding any substantial distance away from a fuel supply, I searched and was lucky enough to find a chap (that chap thing is for you Brits :) ) that had two used YZF tanks. I sold one to Bill in NC who is very happy with his setup also. The tank/seat combo allows you to get farther up to weight your front end. This is critical in maintaining front end traction in certain corners. There is more room to maneuver around on especially since I am usually flailing around all over my bike like some sort of wild man!!
I cannot vouch for the IMS/Acerbis/Clark tanks although it has been said on quite a few occasions there is no difference between the YZ setup and the oversize tanks w/ the YZ seat. You MUST use the YZ seat w/ any of the mentioned gas tanks. There are a few options on the seat. IMS sells the entire unit. The IMS seat (made by Ceet) uses the Doug Henry seat foam. I UNDERSTAND the seat is wider and flatter than OEM. The complete seat runs $125. You can also purchase the base unit alone. There are several guys using GUTS Racing seat foam and cover. This is said to be much more comfortable than the IMS seat foam. I have callouses all over my ass, so I am cool with the stock IMS seat foam :D !

[This message has been edited by Kevin in New Hampshire (edited 07-18-2000).]

• Airastro

Posted July 18, 2000 - 06:19 AM

One think that was not mentioned to increase the turning ability of your wr is your rear shock sag. The shock sag can have as big effect or possibly even greater effect than fork height. I have a 426 and run my forks at the top line on the forks ( the ones below the caps) and a rear sag on 95mm. I ride strictly mx/sx tracks and i have found this to be a great setting at least for me. I ride the National MX track at Glenhelen which is a high speed mx track. I suffer no signs of headshake. Another track that I ride is Lake Elsinore which is a MX/SX hybrid with some real tight corners. This setting also works very well there. I have experimented with sag from 110mm ( bike turns like a Peterbuilt) to 90mm ( bike is more skitish than a forklift on the freeway.)

Hope this helps out

• MotoGreg

Posted July 18, 2000 - 04:24 PM

I ride the Vet track (which you know is really tight) at Elsinore twice a week, on most Thursday afternoons and Sunday mornings. I run only 90mm rear sag, forks up in the clamps and chain shorter to really get through those fast corners. Say "hi" if you see me there, my bike basically looks like a yz400 (not a wr anymore) with McGrath graphics.

MotoGreg - The voice of a new millennium
'99 WR400 - 'cause thumpers rule!
'92 GSXR 7/11 (But I wanna trade it for a dope 916)
You can visit my photo album for $1 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.