you think that the WR is a better bike than it. I have ridden three
different WR's and they were all **** . I do have to give credt to the
only WZ that I have ridden this bike did rev faster than my 520 but you
could get the same results from my bike if your game to hold it at a
higher reve range. WZs are a better bike for on the track and ime sure
that if you compared it to an sx model rather than an exc model you may
be very surprised. Another interesting thing that I have noticed about
WR owners if they are so good why is it that everyone that I have seen
has an after market pipe,electrics,stickers, and the list goes on.
All you have to do is buy a ktm and you have the best that is made
strait up.

• Scrambler

Posted July 12, 2000 - 05:50 PM

Hey Sonia,

I'll bet you expect to get some enteresting replies to your post.

I am a former WR owner and I couldn't be happier with my choice to purchase a2000 200 exc. Although your opinions are welcome here, you may be getting a tad personal. The guys on this forum love their bikes nearly as much as their kids. The WR has proven itself to be a very reliable and capable mount. All that really matters is that everyone is happy with their own bike and has a good time.

I'm not surprised you feel the way you do about your KTM, they are possibly the finest mainstream offroad bikes ever built. I love mine and as long as it proves itself to be as reliable as I expect, I may never own anything else. The WR is second on my list of all the bikes I have owned but it was just a little too heavy and too tall for me (not very nimble in tight woods when going balls to the wall).

Glad to here your enjoying your mount.

Happy Trails

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 12, 2000 - 06:12 PM

I just want to know how much you 'bounce' when you go through whoops honeypie....And have you ever knocked yourself out....You asked for it Sonia Bolonia.

• Henry

Posted July 12, 2000 - 07:58 PM

Hi Sonia, I believe that KTM has produced 1 of the finest bike they have ever made.
I have tried once before and it really catched my attention.
Any performance bike will have a higher maintenance which is a fact.
KTM is indeed lighter than my WR, but I don't really feel that reliable on orange bike.
My mechanic friend has told me that, KTM has alumnium gearing and the engine cover are also made of aluminium which made it real light!
In order to protect and lengthen the gear box life, you have to make more frequent oil change than my blue bike! And it really will cost you the time and $$ spent for such a good performance bike!!
see you :)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 12, 2000 - 08:32 PM

dont have lots to say here. jusst thought might throe in some bad english to help you personss feel at home and comfortable too. red bikes, blue onees and even orange. what colors are favorite for me!

Just razzing you guys! Keep on riding your favorite steel ponies!

• Taffy

Posted July 12, 2000 - 10:35 PM

you just don't understand do you!

you never have & you never will.

it,s just a bloody game!!!

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted July 13, 2000 - 12:10 AM

I ate a KTM this morning for breakfast. And it wasnt the first nor the last,hmmmm delicious. :)
Did you miss something when the mag tests said the wr smokes the ktm
My wr get ridden several times weekly, I also have a 2000 380exc on the porch that hasnt been started in over 2 months. Ive found the ktm to be finicky, hard to start, drips oil all over and the dealer support is horrible, in fact the shift lever fell off in the first 7 miles of riding and the dealer wouldnot give me a replacement with out bringing the bike back to him, weak weak weak, Ive also noticed the bike has no nipple/rim locks and the tire is already pulling on the nipple.
I ride in remote locations alone and know the wr will get me in and out with out a breakdown, I cant say the same for the ktm. To each their own, but we all know the real truth.
You didnt think your brazen attack would go unchallenged did you. :D :D :D :D :D :D

• WFO_DON

Posted July 13, 2000 - 02:42 AM

JUST REMEMBER K.T.M. MEANS (KICK TEN MINUTES)
I HAD A 250EXC 1999 AND IT WAS JUNK.

WR400,S RULE! :)

• Clark_Mason

Posted July 13, 2000 - 02:55 AM

I have never had any brand loyality when it comes to motorcycles I always want the best overall package for my riding type and style, however, it must be street registerable in Californa. Currently the RFS KTM's cannot be registered for street in California or I wounld have one today. If someone knows a reasonable way around this I'm all ears. My current 99WZ 400 has the correct VIN and I may be using this unit for quite a while.

The YAM is a excellent all around performer and a excellent product. Although I do not currently own a KTM I quite sure the 520 is and will be a dominate force in four strokes across the board. I like what KTM has done and hope other MFGs will also produce high quality, highly capable, light weight, electric starting four strokes..

Clark

• Hick

Posted July 13, 2000 - 02:26 PM

Sure, I'd love to have a 520 SX except:

1) Its a four speed. Worthless to me.
2) YOU CAN'T GET ONE

I did have the opportunity to ride one around the jetting loop at my last race, the promoter (a dealer) brought his demo along. I liked:

The weight. It did make my bike feel like a pig.
The power. Easy to handle and fast at the same time. But not appreciably faster than my 426.

But I felt my suspension was clearly superior, especially in the whoops. Buy an E/XC you say? Well that has suspension valved differently (read: even worse than SX) and I'm not interested in batteries, coils, lights etc. Plus, can I even get a 3+ gallon tank for a KTM stroker?

And sure, it comes with good stuff (bars, chain etc.) If you take what you have to spend on a WR or YZ to get rid of the crap and add it to the purchase price of the YZ/WR you'd ALMOST be at the price of the KTM.

Another thing, Sonia, is that all of us Yamaha owners buy aftermarket goodies for our bikes because WE CAN!! Companies are falling all over themselves to make stuff for WRs/YZs.

Want to change up your powerband? You have like 15 pipes to choose from, several cams, and at least four companies make flywheel weights.

Want to change your ergos? Probably 20 different triple clamps, bar mounts, taller seat foam, etc.

Don't like the looks? Make it yellow or red w/ new plastic or change the graphics.

Want to know the hot setup for a particular track or climate? Need to replace the air filter you just ripped? I'm sure ANY event you go to, whether it be enduro, hare scrambles, desert race, or motocross the YZF/WR will be one of the most popular bikes there, if not THE most popular. So you'll have no problems finding lots of jetting tips, suspension preferences and spare parts.

Ask any of these questions to a KTM owner and they won't have many answers.

The universally accepted truth is that the YZ/WR is the best dirt bike on the planet.

Sure, I'd love to have a 2001 520 SX (if you chunk the worthless 4 speed and swap a 6 speed). Gee, wonder what that'd cost? I asked the dealer w/ the demo 520 to find out, and he said his KTM rep never called him back. That's not a good sign.

Yes, I realize your post was just bait, but so what, I'm bored. I hope your many grammatical errors were feigned, otherwise you are seriously language-impaired.

PS, all of this may be moot since I have not ridden a Yamaha WZ. What model is that?

[This message has been edited by Hick (edited 07-13-2000).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mike_in_Silicon_valley

Posted July 13, 2000 - 06:49 PM

Hey Sonia,
Tell your boyfriend he bought a nice bike :) .

• RodH

Posted July 13, 2000 - 07:14 PM

the YZF/WR will be one of the most popular bikes there, if not THE most popular.
The universally accepted truth is that the YZ/WR is the best dirt bike on the planet.

In 1999 in Australia the WR400 was the most registered motorcycle (model) sold, and that includes road bikes and all. And I would say that's pretty good considering the 2 other guys that I ride with regualry have WR's, and and out of the 3 WR's only one is registered, and my dealer reckons that the 3 to 1 ratio is about right for the ones he sells, so they are everywhere downunder.

Just some trivia that i thought I would share, not really relevent to this post, but then this post isn't really relevent to anything.

------------------
RodH Canberra, Australia<A HREF="http://www.400thumpers.oz-au.com" TARGET=_blank>
400 Thumpers Australia</A>
2000 WR400F See Photo's and Modifications

• Bryan Bosch

Posted July 14, 2000 - 05:21 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's 90% rider, 10% bike at best. For example, the XR 600 is heavy and not all that fast. However; we all know that Scott Summers rips. The KTM 520 won't make a bad rider good. Same goes for the WR.

• Bryan

Posted July 14, 2000 - 06:32 AM

I agree 150% Bryan (nice spelling of the name by the way).

Evidence to support this in addition to Scott Summers:

1) In that nasty Montrose enduro I was cussing the weight of my bike while light two strokes whipped past me. At the end of the day I saw that the second place AA was riding a stock YZ400 AND he was short. Think he is a good rider? Duh!
Conclusion: Those two stroke RIDERS were faster than me. NOT their bikes!

2) Fastest rider I know is Scarymyth on his heavy DRZ400. He used to kick all of our butts offroad on his XR650L too. The ONLY time I can ever keep him in sight is on real whooped out fast third gear sections where that DRZ suspension is way over it's head.
Conclusion: He's a fast rider on ANY bike and ANY modern day bike is faster than the crappy 7 inch travel bikes he raced in A Enduro out easy years ago.

3) Another lightening fast rider I know is Eric and he rides an XR600. When I get on an XR600, I go real slow. That sucker just won't turn! Pushes through turns, won't rev (I like a revvy engine), seat is too soft. Reminds me of my couch at home.
Conclusion: I don't want Eric to get a WR400 (like he is considering) because then he will be knocking on Scarymyths door. Of course, I won't eat their dust because they will be so far off the front. :)

Bryan...

• JKC

Posted July 14, 2000 - 06:47 AM

Sonia,

The KTM's a nice bike, except for the fact it has hair growing where the bars meet the triple clamps as well as all over the fork legs.

In addition, one is only able to wash a European bike about once a week which leaves it kind of funky smelling whereas a Japanese bike is one you can wash everyday and has very little body hair whatsoever.

With that said, I think it's clear which bike I'd like to sling a leg over.

P.S. - Everybody knows the opening where the air filter goes is sideways on a Japanese bike as compared o a Katoom - Right? :)

• ScottyR

Posted July 14, 2000 - 09:52 PM

KTM does indeed make a great bike but dollar for dollar they are pretty pricey compared to my WR400. In Canada a WR400 lists at $7400 whereas a 400EXC is $9000. Great bike but is it over $1500 better. I dont think so!

• Bryan Bosch

Posted July 14, 2000 - 09:56 PM

Good examples Bryan! I remember one time riding with a couple of guys on older (early 90's) XR 250's with bald tires. When we first say them, we thought, "Yeah, we can kick their butts!" Wrong! They kicked out butts all over the place! When we stopped at the end of the first leg of trail, we found out they were a couple of ex-pros and they we higher than a Georgia pine forest!

When I have my 1996 XR twofiddy (sort of miss that bike for the woods) we rode with two brand new Husabergs. I know they thought they'd rip us however; we dusted them just about everywhere! They paid $7,500 and we paid $3,700 brand new. Both the XR's were bone stock (except for being uncorked).

I'd rather have a crappy bike and ride well than a KTM and ride like crap!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 14, 2000 - 10:34 AM

I always thought K.T.M. stood for "Kiss the Mound."

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 14, 2000 - 11:44 AM

Originally posted by Sonia Wheeler:
I think that you may have only ridden the ktm 520for a short while,if
you think that the WR is a better bike than it. I have ridden three
different WR's and they were all **** . I do have to give credt to the
only WZ that I have ridden this bike did rev faster than my 520 but you
could get the same results from my bike if your game to hold it at a
higher reve range. WZs are a better bike for on the track and ime sure
that if you compared it to an sx model rather than an exc model you may
be very surprised. Another interesting thing that I have noticed about
WR owners if they are so good why is it that everyone that I have seen
has an after market pipe,electrics,stickers, and the list goes on.
All you have to do is buy a ktm and you have the best that is made
strait up.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 14, 2000 - 11:56 AM

HI
I live in germany and everybody rides KTM
everywhere orange,exactly the same whats happened with the WR inthe States . A nd they love to where thei KTM sweaters,shirts, etc and their big hero is former champion
Kinigadner.But the main thing is to have fun the bike doesn`t matter,the man is important
not the exhaust the triple clamp the airbox or the just keep the throttle open
Viel Spass Jungs Ciao EDE
brakes ,spes motocross exhaust i love it !!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.