Speedo ?

10 replies to this topic
  • Andy_Baker

Posted July 12, 2000 - 09:59 PM

Does anyone know the Yamaha part number for a WR400 speedo ? All the dealers I have rung either cannot be bothered to look , or say they don't have microfiche data for the WR400.
I am in the UK , so a MPH speedo would be preferable to KMH - do they do a MPH speedo ?
I have tried Mountain Bike sppedo's and they are a bit crap really - I would prefer the proper article if you splendid chappies can help with the number.

thanks

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 12, 2000 - 10:44 AM

Andy baja designs [@www.bajadesigns.com] they have [3] speedo to pick from, i ues them myself and they work very good.They are not O.E. parts.
monty

• jj

Posted July 12, 2000 - 10:54 AM

To the best of my knowledge there is no WR400 speedo per say. There are lots of after market speedos available, but none that Yamaha has for the WR. Baja designs seems to be just about the best place to find an aftermarket one...

Hope this helps!

------------------
JJ - 99 WR; WR timed, stock jetting, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Terry Cable Hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Russel speed bleeders, Factory Effect graphics, YZ rear fender

• GB

Posted July 12, 2000 - 01:46 PM

The Australian version of the WR comes fitted with a speedo so that it can be registered for road use. I have never broken one and therefore do not know of the part number. However I will track it down for you if you like. These Australian speedo's are in Kph though.

• RodH

Posted July 12, 2000 - 06:13 PM

I have a full ADR list with part numbers at http://www.400thumpers.oz-au.com/

I understand that your dealer should be able to order it, as it's the same one used on the WR's for other countries. It has a blue background with a little WR400F logo on it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jj

Posted July 12, 2000 - 08:32 PM

See what happens when you ASS-U-ME! :)

------------------
JJ - 99 WR; WR timed, stock jetting, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Terry Cable Hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Russel speed bleeders, Factory Effect graphics, YZ rear fender

• Darren_Santilli

Posted July 13, 2000 - 08:56 AM

Andy.....

I got my bike from "ford and Ellis" in Chesham, Buckinghamshire. They got the bike road legal and registered it for me.
If you contact them, they will supply you with the speedo that my bike has.

Darren
England

[This message has been edited by Darren Santilli (edited 07-13-2000).]

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted July 13, 2000 - 08:59 AM

There ain't no stock WR 400 speedo. It only comes with a tripmeter. I was able to fit an old stock XR250 speedo on mine, like they sell on the Baja Designs website (about US$150). That's when I discovered that my tripmeter gear assembly (TGA) had no guts in it. The previous owner took it upon himself to gut it and use it as only a spacer. Since the TGA cost over 50 bucks, I rethought my speedometer plans- I bought a 20 dollar bike computer. It works great. It's very light, durable, and it has a LOT more features than a regular speedo. I was able to mount the sensor by attaching it to the left fork guard and I JB Welded the magnet to the brake rotor. Make sure you securely tape down the wires that run between the sensor and the computer. I had a couple of failures in the wiring when I rode through tight stuff until I completely enclosed the wire from the bottom of the fork to the top of the brake cable with electrical tape. (Originally, I just used small zip ties to pin down the wire along the brake cable, but I guess the wire got snagged.) BTW, I have just ordered a spacer and oil seal to replace the TGA. Together, they cost about US$26. Might save a little weight, but it will certainly afford the wheel bearing better protection from dirt than the current setup.

Rich Bumar
Ocoee, FL
99 WR 400
...and now that I've done enough mods to warrant any interest from the group, here's my bike mods: FMF Megamax II muffler, GPS equipped, Bell Bike computer, full Baja Designs kit, raised handlebars, headlight rock guard, carbon fiber frame guards, YZF rear fender...more to come, if my wife doesn't find out.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 15, 2000 - 09:40 PM

Fit a push bike speedo
If fitted properly (as per ktm ) it is 100 percent reliable & accurate mine has clock /stop watch/ average speed/ max speed trip /total milage all for £15 &3 hrs work

• Steve_Morgan

Posted July 17, 2000 - 11:25 AM

I installed a Panoram bicycle speedo (www.topeak.com). It has three large easy to read displays for odometer, round trip, and speed in mph or kmh, plus a bunch of other functions like maintenance and time. I mounted it on my handlebar, extended the wire for the sensor, and ran the wire down the inside of the original speedo cable housing. JB welded the magnet to the hub, and tie-wrapped the sensor to the forks. I use it almost every weekend at dual-sport events, works great. It's easy to reset the odometer, but you can't bump it forward or backwards...

• Darren_Santilli

Posted July 18, 2000 - 09:17 PM

Originally posted by m n ward:
Fit a push bike speedo
If fitted properly (as per ktm ) it is 100 percent reliable & accurate mine has clock /stop watch/ average speed/ max speed trip /total milage all for £15 &3 hrs work

which one did you use...and how did you mount it?

Darren
Bucks
Ye Olde England

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.