Question for Colorado Street Legalers

4 replies to this topic
  • JKC

Posted July 11, 2000 - 07:43 AM

What is the bare minimum equipment required and how do you go about street licensing a WR in Colorado? TIA

• Bryan

Posted July 11, 2000 - 08:59 AM

Brake light
Head Light
Brake light switch (20 bucks from Baja Designs)
mirror (Acerbis 18 bucks from Baja Designs)
Horn (Battery operated bicycle horn from Colorado Cyclist 16 bucks)
DOT approved tires (I've NEVER run them and have NEVER been inspected and my neighbor is a cop and didn't know they were required)

Bryan...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dougie

Posted July 13, 2000 - 04:09 AM

Before you try all of that, try to get the plate without any mods.

When I got my plate for the WR, I took all the paperwork from the dealer right to the county clerk and they gave me a plate and title (mailed later) on the spot. Never asked if it was street legal or anything.

I know you are supposed to have it VINned but I never got hassled and the Certificate of Origin said "for offroad use only" right on the top.

I don't have a brake light, horn, mirror or anything else needed. I have been stopped by cops many times as all they wanted to see was that I had the "m" on my drivers license to indicate I am licensed for motorcycles and that I had proof of insurance.

As long as you are not doing wheelies down the road or being an a**hole, they are usually very cool.

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics, Renthal bars, 14/52 gearing.

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 13, 2000 - 05:10 AM

Dougie,
I didn't know you were such a "Law Breaking Rebel!!" Maybe you should be on a Harley? :)

• paul913

Posted July 18, 2000 - 11:11 AM

Cletus,
I got the run around from DMV for having a bill of sale that did not explicately state "For Off Road Use".

I didn't bother sending it back to the guy - just typed another one up and had a neighbor sign it. (No - Kevin I don't ALWAYS play by the rules either)

Jake

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.