California XR650R's diffornt? pics included help me out!

21 replies to this topic
  • hondacrf150f1

Posted July 31, 2007 - 05:12 PM

ok in the last month ive bought a brand new 07 XR650R, and a used 03 XR650R (dads) My 07 is severly down on power seeing as ive not uncorked it yet. But on the sticker on the rear fender the bike says "Meets California emissions standards"? Does this mean its a California model??? im gona call the dealer sometime to find out about this.

I know this is kinda a noob question but tell me what exactly this thing is. And why my 03 doesnt have 1. Im quessing its some sort of water pump or something.

I included pics of both the 07 and the 03 to compare.

Thanx guys, The 2003 Posted Image

The 2007 Posted Image

• bosshog

Posted July 31, 2007 - 06:15 PM

It's a smog pump and yes it's a California only item to my knoledge. There is a very dramatic change between a stock and uncorked bike as you have noticed. So don't judge it's performance based on it being a CA model. I believe there are just a few extra steps to uncork a CA 650r. Read Questions 4&5 of the FAQ for complete details. Uncorking info on the same site. http://xr650r.us/xr650r_faq/#4
There really is no going back after riding the bike running the way it's ment to is there?

• bosshog

Posted July 31, 2007 - 06:28 PM

Maby it's not a CA only thing? I just noticed your in Connecticut. Not sure of how things are distributed in the US but is it common to get CA models of other vehicles in other states? Guess they could sell CA models everywhere but not regular models in CA right. Not sure how you ended up with a CA model where you are. Dealer bought leftover from Honda or something? Either way can still be uncorked.

• Suikerland

Posted August 01, 2007 - 03:12 AM

My '06 model (European issue, sold uncorked and street legal) doesn't have that thing either, whetever it is. If that helps.

• hondacrf150f1

Posted August 01, 2007 - 07:51 AM

well im definatly gona call my dealer today and find out how the hell I got a California bike and if its safe to tear off all the emmisions junk it comes with.

• rm298z

Posted August 01, 2007 - 08:10 AM

Do a search I've seen a couple articles about removing the smog pump that comes on the ca model.

• hill5150

Posted August 01, 2007 - 10:05 AM

Take that tree hugging smog pump off immediately and make sure you mail it to the EPA.......................:thumbsup:

• BWB63

Posted August 01, 2007 - 10:28 AM

Take that tree hugging smog pump off immediately and make sure you mail it to the EPA.......................:thumbsup:

That is way to funny!!:lol: :goofy: Sending that stuff un-marked to the AQMD would even be better. They are the big air quality wacko's. That is a California bike as it says on the fender. Type in XR650R in a google search and you will have a month of reading.

http://www.xr650r.us/

http://xr650r.borynack.com/

South Coast Air Quality Management District
21865 Copley Dr. - Diamond Bar CA 91765
(909) 396-2000

Sacramento Metropolitan Air Quality Management District
777 12th St. 3rd Floor Sacramento, California 95814-1908

I guess you would have to do a search to find the one close to you.

• cleonard

Posted August 01, 2007 - 11:13 AM

That is way to funny!!:lol: :goofy: Sending that stuff un-marked to the AQMD would even be better. They are the big air quality wacko's.

South Coast Air Quality Management District
21865 Copley Dr. - Diamond Bar CA 91765
(909) 396-2000

Sacramento Metropolitan Air Quality Management District
777 12th St. 3rd Floor Sacramento, California 95814-1908

I guess you would have to do a search to find the one close to you.

This is really not such a good idea. Tampering with an accepted emissions system can be a federal felony and comes attached with 5 figure fines. Just let the sleeping giant alone. No need to go and bang on it's toe.

The EPA is always looking to make examples out of people. You don't want to be one.

• philipstjohn

Posted August 01, 2007 - 12:35 PM

This is really not such a good idea. Tampering with an accepted emissions system can be a federal felony and comes attached with 5 figure fines. Just let the sleeping giant alone. No need to go and bang on it's toe.

The EPA is always looking to make examples out of people. You don't want to be one.

As fun as it sounded to send the smog crap to them, it would only fuel the fire...I am sure they would find a way to really screw us down the road...
just throw it away, get the smog block off kit, uncork the new bike and ride... the ear to ear grin will be hard to get rid of!:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR680RR

Posted August 01, 2007 - 03:12 PM

You two are not serious are you? You have to be kidding. Lighten up. It was a funny joke, Hill5150 always says awesome funny and very useful stuff. It might help if you read what is writen as if it was a bunch of riders around a camp fire having a good time.

But, for you PC forum police....
As far as it being a federal offence, that would be 90% (OK, maybe 99% of the california bikes that are off road) of the bikes that have been mod'ed, on road, off road, harley, what ever. Just as pissed and sick and tired some of you get about loud bikes or others that change there bikes to ride at their limit, I feel the same about those that complian about it. I am sick and tired of the PC bike guys. What ever state your bike is in, you are damaging something at the expence of your good time, someone doesn't like it no matter how PC you think you are. If you are off road you are pissing someone off. The guys that threw the tee over board (tee party) pissed someone off and made it a lot worse for others for a while. I know we have to save (what ever we think we are saving) it for the childeren so, they can't see it, can't touch it - or do it either. Save the world from the people! A goverment bent on controling the people or fears the poeple, or gets even with the poeple, they need to be feared, they are out of control. :p Who voted the AQMD or EPA in anyways...........

I think it was major funny.

• cleonard

Posted August 01, 2007 - 03:30 PM

I laughed too, and if you knew me in person you would never call me "PC." However, you might call me careful when it comes to the law or in this case regulation.

If you look around on this site you will discover that several shops in California will no longer change jets. I guess that these shops have been busted or are in fear of it. Not many of these smaller cases have been publicized. The only one that I remember was the $1.2 million fine that Jessy James got for selling non-complying custom bikes. He got his fine reduced to $271,000. That kind of fine would put your typical bike shop out of business. Call it the long arm of the California ARB.

It's a crazy world out there that I think has completely gone insane.

• hondacrf150f1

Posted August 01, 2007 - 05:49 PM

wow lota good reading here, but back to subject for a second. The dealer i deal with said that all the 2007 Models are the same...there is no california only bike, apparently they all have the pump on them. So i bought the Smog removal kit from XR's Only along with a magnetic drain plug, and main jet.

• wcorbett

Posted August 01, 2007 - 06:24 PM

you should take that out right away they suck. im in CAli and mine doesnt have it and havent had problems and a cop even looked down my bike because its street legal. WOOT im glad im not the only 16 (accually 15) year old riding a pig. i was lucky and got mine used and baja ready so its heavy on the power light on the legal.

• hill5150

Posted August 01, 2007 - 06:35 PM

The popo:busted: have no idea what a smog legal bike is supposed to have and not have. Take the thing off and twist that grip on the right side of the handlebars and enjoy......:applause:

• XR680RR

Posted August 01, 2007 - 08:19 PM

Hill5150 what is up with the new Avatar? Was a picture of the front of your girl friend, now the butt end of a big red pig:bonk: I think you loose fuel points for that.

• philipstjohn

Posted August 02, 2007 - 06:26 PM

Hill5150 what is up with the new Avatar? Was a picture of the front of your girl friend, now the butt end of a big red pig:bonk: I think you loose fuel points for that.

I agree...:bonk: :bonk: ....hahaha! I tried to get my wife on the suspender program, but have had not luck yet...:mad: :cry:

• hill5150

Posted August 06, 2007 - 10:43 AM

Thats funny, actually I have some pics of the old lady on the bike from the "babes on a bike thread", maybe I'll put one up...the old Avatar was well,old....Cheers..........:thumbsup:

• eastreich

Posted August 06, 2007 - 04:09 PM

All 2007 model year Honda off road motorcycles are the same. There is no longer a specific model with the smog pump for CA. ALL bikes get the smog pump. If you buy a 2007 650R it will have the CA emissions system on it no matter where you buy it. If you buy a 2007 450X it will have the CA emissions system no matter where you buy it. This is part of the EPA crack down, gentlemen. :thumbsdn: All '07 bikes must meet '05 CA emmisions if I remember the rules right. This is why EFI is coming to all of the bikes by 2010. The emission regs are going to be even more strict in 2010.

• hondacrf150f1

Posted August 07, 2007 - 08:58 AM

Well my'n definatly isant gona meet EPA standards after the smog removal and a little uncorking.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.