James Dean - 5JG-14916-EP Jetting Question

3 replies to this topic
  • JKC

Posted July 16, 2000 - 05:05 AM

James,

2000WR - Airbox Lid Removed - T/Stop Cut - DSP Tapered Exhaust - WR Timing

Base altitude is 5,000 feet. Normally ride in the 8,000ft range but get up to 12,000ft once in a while.

First example - 45 Pilot, 175 Main, DRS Clip #2 position, Pilot Screw 2 Turns Out. Rode from 7,700 up to 10,700 and back. Lean on the downhills with throttle closed (pops). Little bit of a stumble in the mid throttle range (again, lean I think). Pretty good response down low. Pulled the plug - perfect, light tan, not a spot of black.

Second try - 45 Pilot, 178 Main, DRS Clip #3 position, Pilot Screw 1 Turns Out. Rode from 6,500 up to 10,000 and back. Had to turn the screw in to 1 turn to partially stem the dreaded booo-waaah off idle. Lots of sputtering holding at 1/4 - 3/4 throttle settings. Plug now black.

And now my question,

Proposed next try - 45 pilot, 170 main, EKP Clip #3, Pilot screw 1 1/2 turns out.

Any input you can give is greatly appreciated!

JKC

• James_Dean

Posted July 16, 2000 - 06:54 PM

Your proposed jetting sounds very close. If anything a #165 or #168 main might be better. Bring your screw driver along for the pilot screw and experiment from 1 1/2 to 2 turns. The altitude is higher than my riding areas so your feedback will help others too. The benefit of having a forum like this, thanks Bryan.
James Dean

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JKC

Posted July 17, 2000 - 02:22 AM

Preliminary tests indicate it's real close. Incidentally, the TPS didn't Ohm out as spec'd in the manual at idle (.13-.15 X Coil Resistance). Had to rotate it full clockwise to get the resistance down there. The hesitation down low is all but gone. A quick twist from idle now brings a wheelie! Also, I can definitely feel the improved pull in the mid-range. Will post further when I get it up high. Thanks James!

• James_Dean

Posted July 17, 2000 - 03:09 PM

You're welcome, have fun!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.