valve adjustment?

19 replies to this topic
  • 07YZ450F

Posted July 31, 2007 - 09:23 AM

i was wondering how often, if at all, that u guys get valve adjustments done on ur bike? ive been told every 15 to 20 hours and then another guy told me he hasnt had one done on his at all. the guy told me that the manual says to do valve adjustments so often because its for a fast A class rider going pro. is it easy to do urself with a shim kit or should i pay to have someone do it for me? ive never worked on a bike but i do have 2 years experience/training working on cars so i know the basics. thanx in advance
-dan

• Dirtbiker05

Posted July 31, 2007 - 11:48 AM

welcome to tt! you should check your valves yearly except every month when they start to go out of spec. adjust them whenever they go out of spec. it is very easy to check your valves and adjust them. you will need to pick up a set of feeler guages. other then that and a torque wrench its only normal tools to get the cam cover off. your manual is your bible. this tells you correctly what to do with your bike and how to do it and you can be sure of that because it is coming from the ppl who made your bike. tt is very useful and has lots of info on it. enjoy!

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted July 31, 2007 - 12:02 PM

I checked mine on my 426 last summer and will probably again at the end of this summer. I don't put NEARLY as many hours on mine as many of these guys do.

• grayracer513

Posted July 31, 2007 - 01:00 PM

I never get them done. I do them. Then again, all I've ever had to do on either of mine is check them. Even the '03. Scary, huh?

• Bakemono

Posted July 31, 2007 - 02:12 PM

I never get them done. I do them. Then again, all I've ever had to do on either of mine is check them. Even the '03. Scary, huh?

Not really. :excuseme: A friend of mine has an '04 YZ 250F that he has never had to adjust the valves on. It still has the original piston in it too. Now thats scary!!! Im personally amazed his motor hasnt blown yet, especially consider how 250Fs are supposed such a short-life engine.
As long as you take care of these motors and dont bounce them off the rev limiter all the time they last a long, long time. IMO, 4-strokes have gotten a bad rap by people who are too lazy to do the proper maintainance and then when something major breaks they are too proud to admit the failure was due to negligence.

ive been told every 15 to 20 hours and then another guy told me he hasnt had one done on his at all. the guy told me that the manual says to do valve adjustments so often because its for a fast A class rider going pro.

I agree. If you dont ride the bike flat-out all the time you could probably double those hours.
Dont let yourself get intimidated by the concept of checking the valves yourself, its a lot easier than it seems at first. Also, its not as if the average dealer mechanic is so much more mechanically inclined than any of us are.

• 07YZ450F

Posted July 31, 2007 - 08:25 PM

it didnt look that difficult in the manual but the guy at the bike shop told me it was a seriously specialized job and i would need special tools and that i would want a professional to do it. thanx alot for all ur input. is anybody from souther michigan? i could always use more riding buddys, and places to ride. i dont have any land of my own i can ride on so if there is anyone near with a track that would be awesome.

• tnl

Posted July 31, 2007 - 09:01 PM

it didnt look that difficult in the manual but the guy at the bike shop told me it was a seriously specialized job and i would need special tools and that i would want a professional to do it.

That shop wants your $!

• Bakemono

Posted July 31, 2007 - 10:14 PM

That shop wants your $!

I agree.

• Yamaha4lyfe

Posted July 31, 2007 - 11:14 PM

i hate the yamaha frame to remove the valve cover. its so damn cramped
i like the suzuki way u have a ton of room to take it off

anyone have this problem too?

• Slowmotion426

Posted July 31, 2007 - 11:19 PM

My '01 YZ426F still hasn't had one. It cranks on the first or second kick every time. :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dustin_Mabro

Posted August 01, 2007 - 05:40 AM

That shop wants your $!

+2

I checked the valves on my bike (my first valve check) and all I had were the printed steps from a thread on here, my manual, and the appropriate tools.

Very easy to do if you take your time and do it right.:prof:

• bboyce

Posted August 01, 2007 - 09:01 AM

is anybody from souther michigan? i could always use more riding buddys, and places to ride. i dont have any land of my own i can ride on so if there is anyone near with a track that would be awesome.

Yup, Im near Ann Arbor.

• 07YZ450F

Posted August 01, 2007 - 07:22 PM

sometimes mine fires right up and other times i have to kick it 5+ times. im thinking maybe i have to replace the spark plug since i didnt right after break in

• yamasaki

Posted August 02, 2007 - 05:46 PM

sometimes you just have to learn how your bike likes to be started.

first thing in the morning, my bike likes the choke on, two twists of the throttle, and then one solid kick. starts first kick.

• falcon_az

Posted August 02, 2007 - 07:33 PM

'04 WR450 - Just checked the valves 2 days ago and still within spec.; to my knowledge (bike was bought used) they have never been adjusted and are within tolerance.

• TuningFork426

Posted August 02, 2007 - 11:12 PM

No not scary at all............................excellent!!!:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: do you race them pretty hard?

• grayracer513

Posted August 03, 2007 - 08:11 AM

Overall, it leads a moderately hard life.

• bboyce

Posted August 03, 2007 - 01:18 PM

Opened mine up today for the first time...she has over 70 hours on her, and all valves were in spec.

I do agree, it is a little tight to get the cover off, but nothing to bad.

• bigwake

Posted August 03, 2007 - 08:37 PM

i hate the yamaha frame to remove the valve cover. its so damn cramped
i like the suzuki way u have a ton of room to take it off

anyone have this problem too?

holy crap! that damn spark plug was hard enough for me to get o! how could you even do anything other than that under that back bone frame??its impossible!

• grayracer513

Posted August 03, 2007 - 08:40 PM

Yours is an '03. You have all kinds of room the guys with aluminum frames don't.:excuseme:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.