Fuel injected WR?

12 replies to this topic
  • MxnDoc

Posted July 31, 2007 - 09:08 AM

Fellow TT'ers does anyone have an E.T.A. on when the WR line will have fuel injection:applause: ?. A while back this topic was all the buzz. I've been out of the bike world for some months and wondering if anyone has the heads-up:thumbsup: ? I know this topic has been discussed in a few of the magazines which I don't get.

• byggd

Posted July 31, 2007 - 02:29 PM

It will be one year after the YZ gets it.........

• Mutu

Posted July 31, 2007 - 04:42 PM

Might be before? :excuseme:
I've learned to just wait till it actually comes out. :ride:

• clark4131

Posted July 31, 2007 - 07:36 PM

Bingo!...SC

• dustinw

Posted August 01, 2007 - 08:33 AM

I'm not convinced it will be that great. It took 5-6 years before most of the kinks got worked out on street bikes. And they are still dumping large amounts of money into R&D to work out the rest. I'm not convinced EFI has a place on a dirt bike,

• Paradiddle

Posted August 01, 2007 - 08:39 AM

...instead of re-jetting, we will be re-mapping. Jets are cheap compared to EFI program modules, but re-mapping is simple (time vs. money?).

Life is full of little trade-offs!

Lynn

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dustinw

Posted August 01, 2007 - 09:11 AM

...instead of re-jetting, we will be re-mapping. Jets are cheap compared to EFI program modules, but re-mapping is simple (time vs. money?).

Life is full of little trade-offs!

Lynn

Fuel pumps tend to be fragile, dirt bikes are pretty rough on parts, if your pump goes TU, it won't be cheap. Throttle response tends to be really jerky especially at small throttle openining, this was a nightmare on street bikes, might not be a big deal on the dirt. Aftermarket tanks are going to get a wee bit more expensive.

Of course everyone is pretty aware of the plus side, no more clogged carbs, self adjusting to altitude, remapping is fast, etc.

I'm still not really convinced that FI on street bikes is really any better than carbs. I had both, never did like the throttle transitions (the real remaining issue) on the FI bikes. Carbs are way smoother still. Let's hope the manufacturers have learned a thing or two from the street bikes.

• bandit99

Posted August 01, 2007 - 09:36 AM

FI on street bikes are really nice if you are riding in the mountains. The FI adjust nicely to the altitude change. FI is smoother everywhere except initial throttle but they are getting better with that problem. I am all for FI as long as it is reliable. More parts though which will probably increase bike cost $1,000 or so.

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 01, 2007 - 09:41 AM

08' Husky TE450 is fuel injected and damn nice looking bike... make no mistake it's still a Husky:busted: but it will be interesting to hear how the FI works.... by the way, the Husky MX bike is still running a carb in 08':ride:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 01, 2007 - 10:15 AM

Typically the WR gets the mods right after the YZ does, but not all the time.. I'm gonna guess that the 09 WR450 has a good chance of being FI.

• Mutu

Posted August 01, 2007 - 03:48 PM

08' Husky TE450 is fuel injected and damn nice looking bike... make no mistake it's still a Husky:busted: but it will be interesting to hear how the FI works.... by the way, the Husky MX bike is still running a carb in 08':ride:

That's the specific reason why I thought the WR might come with EFI before the YZ.
As we know, the RMZ450 has EFI for '08, but they still have no enduro bike to throw it on.

• Sycamore

Posted August 01, 2007 - 03:57 PM

That's the specific reason why I thought the WR might come with EFI before the YZ.
As we know, the RMZ450 has EFI for '08, but they still have no enduro bike to throw it on.

If they build it many will come. :) I know lots of guys riding two strokes tell me that would be the thing to push them to a 4 stroke. IF of course it works well.:ride:

• Gilkerson

Posted August 03, 2007 - 05:13 PM

Food for thought, if GasGas can make a reliable EFI system years ago, I'm not sure why a lot of big 5 riders are so worried that the huge R&D budgets(especially the car makers) can't release a reliable user friendly system there first year. Since several smaller companies have done it and I was waiting for a big 5 company to release an EFI enduro model, personally I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it. If the big 5 can't make a better more reliable EFI system than my older '05, then I would be awfully surprised.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.