Vegas to Reno

11 replies to this topic
  • Jeff_Steckline

Posted July 31, 2007 - 05:10 AM

We are going to do Vegas to Reno in a couple of weeks. I have a 07 WR that I desert race and enduro, all mods are done. I'm running 48/13 ratio for desert racing, do I go to a 48/14? Will I have to modify or remove the case saver or do I go to a 45 on the back. Any other wisdom would be greatly appreciated for a long endurance race. Jeff S

• mikenash

Posted July 31, 2007 - 05:35 AM

Hey, Jeff just put the 45 on the back and you will be fine 100 mph+ You will also need some spare wheels at the gas stops in case you ge a flat run tubes not your bibs. Hope this helps.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted July 31, 2007 - 07:14 AM

for baja i run 15/50 and can do 97+....the 15 from sproket fits just fine on the wr and your still able to run the case saver which is very import. you might want to leave the rear sproket alone and try messing around with the front sproket. a 14/45 would also be a good combo. either way good luck and do the wr proud as it wont let you down!:ride:

for tires run a desert tire with hd tubes and slime!

• Jeff_Steckline

Posted July 31, 2007 - 07:51 AM

Hey Mikey, what up...
13/48 will take me to a 100+ right now. But wouldn't running a 14/50 or something in that range cause less rev and be better on the bike for 600+ miles?
I have always raced w/bibs, the plan was a extra set of wheels and bibs all around, on Dunlop Desert AT's. I'm not sure what to run up front. I run a IRC Vulcan Enduro but I think the tread pattern is to tall for road riding? Jeff S

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted July 31, 2007 - 08:08 AM

13/48 (3.69) and 14/50 (3.57) are close to the same ration your revs will be a little less on the top end with the 14/50. for the race i would run a 15/48-50 probably your best options. i heard that bibs are good until they start to pop. once one goes its only a matter of time and the rest go.

check out the baja section there is great info and what to run for tires and tubes and what not.

in the 5 baja runs i have done with my friends and family everyone that runs heavy duty tubes and slime have not had a flat

• Jeff_Steckline

Posted July 31, 2007 - 09:14 AM

13/48 (3.69) and 14/50 (3.57) are close to the same ration your revs will be a little less on the top end with the 14/50. for the race i would run a 15/48-50 probably your best options. i heard that bibs are good until they start to pop. once one goes its only a matter of time and the rest go.

check out the baja section there is great info and what to run for tires and tubes and what not.

in the 5 baja runs i have done with my friends and family everyone that runs heavy duty tubes and slime have not had a flat

Thanks for the info, I've heard this about bibs and baja. It's kind of scary to go back to a tube... Jeff S

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted July 31, 2007 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for the info, I've heard this about bibs and baja. It's kind of scary to go back to a tube... Jeff S

why is that?

• Jeff_Steckline

Posted July 31, 2007 - 10:40 AM

why is that?

I never worry about a flat with a bib. Jeff S

• Jeff_Steckline

Posted August 29, 2007 - 05:17 AM

Vegas 2 Reno, I keep hearing the WR is not a race bike. I couldn't of been any happier with the bike. We had it geared 14/45 and we used it all. Moose bibs held up well even though we tacoed both wheels.
We ended up 30th OA. and 1st in the over 30 expert class, if you haven't done this race, do it. I did it with my brother and a close friend and will never forget the experience. Hats off to 2007 WR 450, a great all around race bike :prof: . Jeff S

• TSFRANKLIN

Posted August 29, 2007 - 01:48 PM

Vegas 2 Reno, I keep hearing the WR is not a race bike. I couldn't of been any happier with the bike. We had it geared 14/45 and we used it all. Moose bibs held up well even though we tacoed both wheels.
We ended up 30th OA. and 1st in the over 30 expert class, if you haven't done this race, do it. I did it with my brother and a close friend and will never forget the experience. Hats off to 2007 WR 450, a great all around race bike :prof: . Jeff S

Great Job, that is very impressive. I do not know who was saying the WR 450 is not a race bike, but it is obvious they where clueless, and now you have the proof to throw in their face :prof:

Just curious, what kind of budget should a team expect to pay to run this race...?

• Jeff_Steckline

Posted August 29, 2007 - 02:46 PM

Great Job, that is very impressive. I do not know who was saying the WR 450 is not a race bike, but it is obvious they where clueless, and now you have the proof to throw in their face :prof:

Just curious, what kind of budget should a team expect to pay to run this race...?

Entry fee is 750.00 for expert and 950.00 for the pro class.
Bike prep: 1 extra front wheel, 2 extra complete rear wheels (bibs or heavy duty tubes, new tires, 3 new rear sprockets). Basic desert set up, stabilizer, 3+ gal tank, Zip- Ty quick pull axle, quick dump, 2 cans are nice, 35 extra gals. of fuel.
Logistics: Hotels for both Vegas & Reno
Budget for a 3 man team from Reno: 2500-3000.00
Memories and no injuries: Priceless :ride:

• rbn14

Posted August 30, 2007 - 11:28 AM

Now you just gotta put that bike back together so we can go ride today!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.