How long is premix gas good for?

15 replies to this topic
  • joseb

Posted July 31, 2007 - 05:04 AM

My kids have 2 strokes and require 32:1 oil to gas mixture. My questions are, if i premix a 5 gallon jug for both bikes, how long is it good for. Or is it better to mix in a 2 gallon container to use immediatly?

The reason i want to use a 5 gallon mixed at 32:1, is so that i would not have to use so many gas containers. Any ideas?

Thanks..

• CamP

Posted July 31, 2007 - 05:12 AM

If you have it in a sealed steel container it will last for 6 months or more. If it's in a plastic jug the fuel will go stale in about six weeks. The oil in the fuel never goes bad.

• joseb

Posted July 31, 2007 - 05:16 AM

If you have it in a sealed steel container it will last for 6 months or more. If it's in a plastic jug the fuel will go stale in about six weeks. The oil in the fuel never goes bad.

So you think it's ok to mix a 5 gallon container and keep using until it's gone?
This is what i wanted to do. I hate having to mix gas when we are out at the track.

• kxracer987

Posted July 31, 2007 - 05:38 AM

It depends on your premix. We ran one kind in my 100 that would go bad really fast, and another in my 250 that would last for a long time.:excuseme:

• joseb

Posted July 31, 2007 - 05:53 AM

It depends on your premix. We ran one kind in my 100 that would go bad really fast, and another in my 250 that would last for a long time.:excuseme:

Which oil is best to use for 32:1 mix?

• Sundog

Posted July 31, 2007 - 05:58 AM

Older formulations of gas may have been stable for that long, but I disagree about the steel container and 6 months with the crap gas that is made now. Temperature plays a huge part and even gas stations know that unleaded will start to degrade after 2 months.

• joseb

Posted July 31, 2007 - 06:06 AM

I go through a 5 gallon jug between both my kid's bikes in about 2 weeks max.

• rolliew

Posted July 31, 2007 - 07:45 AM

i usually mix just what i need so it's always fresh but my friend lets his sit for 6 months in a plastic can and his bike starts and runs fine? we both ride yz 250's( he doesn't wash his bike, lube or tighten the chain, change the oil etc..... you know the type. )

• Denn10

Posted July 31, 2007 - 07:52 AM

I go through a 5 gallon jug between both my kid's bikes in about 2 weeks max.

your fine with that for sure.

• joseb

Posted July 31, 2007 - 07:58 AM

your fine with that for sure.

What do you think is the longest time it would stay good?

• triplebike

Posted July 31, 2007 - 08:48 AM

If you put a small amount of "SEAFOAM" in the gas you'll be good to go for a very long time. During the winter both of our bikes (125 - 2 stroke & 250 4-stroke) sit for 3-4 months, with a quarter can of seafoam mixed with the gas in the tanks. I've never had a problem, ever, with old gas & our dirtbikes.

• Pballguy48

Posted July 31, 2007 - 08:52 AM

I've heard it gets old after about a month from numerous people.

• CamP

Posted July 31, 2007 - 10:04 AM

Old gas doesn't hurt your bike. It just loses throttle response.

• joseb

Posted July 31, 2007 - 10:26 AM

Old gas doesn't hurt your bike. It just loses throttle response.

It's not the fact that it's gas, but mixed as well. This is what my question is?

• kxracer987

Posted July 31, 2007 - 10:31 AM

What do you think is the longest time it would stay good?

You would be fine for a month or 2. If you use it all in 2 weeks, you are fine.:thumbsup:

• joseb

Posted July 31, 2007 - 10:38 AM

You would be fine for a month or 2. If you use it all in 2 weeks, you are fine.:thumbsup:

That's what i wanted to hear. It will be much easier to premix a 5 gallon jug so that the kids have plenty of gas to keep them going for a while.

Thank you all for your replies..:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Honda CRF250L/M Pics & Video by Bryan Bosch

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • * * * - -
  • Hot  1,696 replies
Forums
Photo

Won't Start! Need Help! by Ging3rDedMan

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

New 500, blown motor. by Jeffijers

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  119 replies
Forums
Photo

No spark woes, completely stumped by Mirrory

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

what should i buy? 230f or 250x? by offroad circus

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250X
  • Hot  26 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.