07 wr 450 smaller front crankshaft sprocket

10 replies to this topic
  • Dan250

Posted July 30, 2007 - 10:23 PM

I'm sure by now someone has tried it. How is it working out. I would like to gear down more for the technical stuff. Dialing in the carb jetting now and gearing will be next.

• Mutu

Posted July 30, 2007 - 10:47 PM

Don't they come with a 13 now?
I think a 12 would be too small and might give you problems.

• JSanfilippo

Posted July 30, 2007 - 11:30 PM

Don't they come with a 13 now?

They do, but Yamaha put a taller primary reduction ratio in the 07. That means even though the 07's secondary gear is shorter, the overall gearing is identical to the 06.

The only advantage I see to this is those riders who need taller gearing for the desert. A 14t cs would be like putting a 15t cs on the 06

• Mutu

Posted July 30, 2007 - 11:54 PM

well there you go, just learned something new!!!

• SJMC_DON

Posted July 31, 2007 - 10:19 AM

I have a 12T countershaft sprocket on my 07'. Top speed is now about 57 mph but technical single track can be ridden in 3rd gear all day giving me the ability to lug the motor some and wick it up when needed.:prof:

I'm happy with it for the pac northwest trail riding and harescrambles but will go back to the 13T for GP's and a 14 for the desert :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Island Boy

Posted November 06, 2007 - 06:17 AM

Sorry, I realize this forum is about going smaller but I would like to increase to 14T on my 07, if someone has done this, please advise: Will the OEM case saver fit or will it have to be modified?

I have searched for aftermarket case savers and other than Zip Ty I have really not seen much out there for the 07. Thanks.

• bultaco

Posted April 27, 2008 - 05:57 PM

Just bought the bike used. Has a 15 sprocket on the front. What is the possible range of sprocket sizes for the front and their respective uses? I am running a stock sprocket on the rear. Thanks very much.

ps at past 3/4 throttle there is some gurgling....jetting I assume?

• SXP

Posted April 27, 2008 - 08:28 PM

Sorry, I realize this forum is about going smaller but I would like to increase to 14T on my 07, if someone has done this, please advise: Will the OEM case saver fit or will it have to be modified?

I have searched for aftermarket case savers and other than Zip Ty I have really not seen much out there for the 07. Thanks.

A 14T fits without any problems - it's what I'm currently running.

• tribalbc

Posted April 28, 2008 - 05:42 AM

I ran the 12 T all last year on my 07. Was much better for tight single track and pulling second up hills. Put a 08 YZ exhaust on my bike this year though and it adds so much low end that I went back up to the 13 T. It has no problem chugging through stuff and pulling second now. My only beef is it's a little fast in the really tight singletrack now so I have to use a little clutch where I wouldn't have before.

• blue07450

Posted April 29, 2008 - 12:43 PM

Hey thanks guys for the mod pics and walkthrough videos.....super helpful and right on.........TT.......need some gas over here

• WR450SM

Posted April 29, 2008 - 12:58 PM

I run a 15T front with S/M wheels. I had to clearance the case saver with a round file for about 5 min before it fit without any rubbing.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.