250vs450 -- peg/seat/bar location same?

5 replies to this topic
  • mn519

Posted July 30, 2007 - 08:58 PM

Hey guys, I have a 250f and 450f both 06's. I have them set up the same with ProTaper CR High bars. Problem is I get weird blisters on the knuckles of my thumbs on the 450, and can see where they rub on the grips. In about 30 race weekends with CR Highs on the 250f I have never got blisters there, but both times racing the 450 with the same bars I have.

So is the peg/bar/seat relationship different on these bikes by possibly different clamps or stem/head location? Or is it just my riding style on the 450?

• ben_suhard

Posted July 30, 2007 - 09:08 PM

The 250F has a smaller cockpit, and they handle differently. Have you tried using a grip donut on the throttle side? On the left grip it's not so bad 'cause the grip can flex, but on the right side the throttle housing prevents the grip from flexing where you're thumb is, so your thumb knuckles take a lot of abuse. Try grip donuts, at least on the right side(if you haven't already)!

• mn519

Posted July 30, 2007 - 09:25 PM

The 250F has a smaller cockpit, and they handle differently. Have you tried using a grip donut on the throttle side? On the left grip it's not so bad 'cause the grip can flex, but on the right side the throttle housing prevents the grip from flexing where you're thumb is, so your thumb knuckles take a lot of abuse. Try grip donuts, at least on the right side(if you haven't already)!

So the bars are farther forward on the 450? I will try some donuts and yes it is worse on the throttle side, good call! I can definately tell the 450 doesnt handle like my 250, but I will work on that as cash flow improves.

If it is the bars being farther forward on the 450, could I get different clamps or bars to move them to the location of the 250f?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ben_suhard

Posted July 30, 2007 - 09:33 PM

If it is the bars being farther forward on the 450, could I get different clamps or bars to move them to the location of the 250f?

You don't need to spend any money. The bar clamps on the 450 can be adjusted to have a forward or rearward (for short riders) position. They come in the forward position from the shop, have you spun them around yet? I'm only 5'7" so I have mine in the rearward position with the bars tilting back a bit too. I don't think you'd want them any farther back than that. It's probably something you'll just have to get used to. There's probably more factors that may be coming into play here too, it's a heavier and longer(wheelbase) bike with more power, making it harder to control.

• ben_suhard

Posted July 30, 2007 - 09:43 PM

I will try some donuts and yes it is worse on the throttle side, good call!

You can also make your own by cutting up a stubby holder! If one doesn't help enough, you could try two donuts on the throttle grip and that should do the trick.

• mn519

Posted July 31, 2007 - 05:51 AM

The bar clamps on the 450 can be adjusted to have a forward or rearward (for short riders) position. They come in the forward position from the shop, have you spun them around yet?

I have left them in the stock location so far because I liked them forward on the 250f. I am just a hair under 5'7'' and I have always liked my bars high and forward, I run them at +1 forward. It seems to help me stay standing more, and get farther forward in turns.

I will try the donuts and if that doesn't work I am gonna start measuring to see exactly what is different, and if it is something I can change to make it like the 250f.

Thanks for the ideas :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.