Cooerced by Mitch into buying DSP airbox?

22 replies to this topic
  • Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 08, 2000 - 11:53 PM

Any of you guys now pondering that frickin' DSP airbox too? I was wondering if we get enough takers to setup some deal with a bike/accessories shop or even DSP (manufacturer), we could get cut a deal if we bought enough airboxes?

What do you think?

Oh, by the way Mitch, THANKS A LOT!! If you have anymore expensive gotta-haves, meter them out ONCE PER YEAR. It's tough to explain to the wife why exactly I need this new thing now!! :)

------------------
99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat, jetting by Clark, got forked by Pro Action.
AMA, NETRA

For clarification: WE'LL be having a KICK ASS time in Moab!! Right Mitch?!!

• RodH

Posted July 09, 2000 - 02:03 AM

Kevin, I just put on a DSP air box, but it's the cheaper one without the velocity stack. This one uses the standard rubber boot.
I haven't been on a full ride yet, but while I was test riding, I noticed a big difference right through the rev range, and the bottom end has never ever been so good, but I have a WB tapered header pipe, and that is suppose to be a good match with the air box. Anyway all I can say is that my WR feels like no other WR400 that I have ridden, and it feels like that it grew 50cc in capacity overnight.

------------------
RodH Canberra, Australia<A HREF="http://www.400thumpers.oz-au.com" TARGET=_blank>
400 Thumpers Australia</A>
2000 WR400F See Photo's and Modifications

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 09, 2000 - 02:42 AM

Rod,
You are fueling my fire, my friend, on this airbox!!

------------------
99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat, jetting by Clark, got forked by Pro Action.
AMA, NETRA

• Clark_Mason

Posted July 09, 2000 - 06:11 AM

I have never been on a WR without the DSP air box I guess I would have been real disappointed?? Mitch is really plugging the benefits of this box maybe some day I should put the stock air back on an and give it a rip. Seems like a lot of work though.

Clark

[This message has been edited by Clark Mason (edited 07-09-2000).]

• imported_Scott_H

Posted July 09, 2000 - 10:25 AM

Between this and some of the archived posts, you guys have done a good job talking me into one of these. Kevin, I'm in! Let me know what kind of deal you can work out.

Scott

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 09, 2000 - 11:38 AM

Scott,
I'll let you know. I am on vacation in 3 days after this god-awful midshift crap. I will do my homework in MN while I fix my families computers.

Maybe Bob's Cycle supply can do something for us...??

Kevin

Scott, would you want the Dougie Henry velocity stack too?

------------------
AMA, NETRA

[This message has been edited by Kevin in New Hampshire (edited 07-09-2000).]

• imported_Scott_H

Posted July 09, 2000 - 07:54 PM

Kevin,

Sign me up for the Dougie setup! Might as go all the way :)

Thanks again.
Scott

• Taffy

Posted July 09, 2000 - 09:55 PM

nobody has described what these boxes physically look like ditto the stacks. Ah i thought after i first saw a write up-it's the velocity stack that makes the difference, now rod says it's the box itself! worth 50cc! impressive stuff!

whats the price pre-bargain anyway?

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 09, 2000 - 10:37 PM

Mitchy,
You do know I am just giving you a hard time...Right??
I value your opinion quite highly, henceforth me pursuing this airbox.

Kevin

P.S. If I had to go to prison, you'd still be at the top of my list for cell mates Mitch!! Now is that a complement or what??
:)

[This message has been edited by Kevin in New Hampshire (edited 07-10-2000).]

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 09, 2000 - 10:38 PM

Check it out at www.dspracing.com

Their retail is $500 US dollars.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matt_Porritt

Posted July 09, 2000 - 11:23 PM

If I can get some numbers of interests on the airboxes I may be able to strike up a bit of a deal.
Let me know via Porrittm@anet.co.nz of your interest in either the complete box with the velocity stack or the airbox that uses the standard airboot and in a weeks time I'll contact my supplier and see what he can do.

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop
Discounts for ThumperTalk members.

[This message has been edited by Matt Porritt (edited 07-10-2000).]

• Mitch_from_Oz

Posted July 10, 2000 - 03:27 AM

Hey Guys,

I have dealt with Matt in the past. Send your orders through him and you will get a good deal. He certainly knows his stuff.

Also, Kevvie, I will be you cell mate, only If I can be ontop.... :) Bunk that is

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 10, 2000 - 07:17 AM

You got it, Pal!!

• Scott

Posted July 10, 2000 - 09:02 PM

Are these carbon air boxes really supposed to give you that much more umph?? My bike had one on it when I bought it so I don't have anything to compare it to....

------------------
99WR,WR timing,throttle stop removed,Twin Air filter,E-Series,carbon air box,Pro Tapers,front and rear lights removed,YZ tank and seat,13 tooth sprocket, Still doesn't make me a very good rider.

• Harold_in_So_Cal

Posted July 10, 2000 - 12:41 PM

I'm am very interested. From the sound of it I would go for the whole thing. Thanks for trying to get the bulk discount. If possible, can we get the discount but order directly from DSP with our own credit cards?

------------------
Harold
2000 WR

• Mitch_from_Oz

Posted July 10, 2000 - 02:27 PM

Gentlemen and ladies out there...

Yes, it does make an incredible difference. I have put down my ideas as to why based on some knowledge and I have also gained insight from some "experts"....

The difference will be very obvious when you try it. Believe me. Without, you love the bike. With the DSP config, you will REALLY LOVE the bike. It does actually feel like an additional 50cc in terms of grunt. But, also, throttle response is quickened considerably.

Mitch

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 10, 2000 - 04:29 PM

I am still looking Harold!

Kevin

• RodH

Posted July 10, 2000 - 05:16 PM

Mitch, that's the way I seen it with the box without the velocity stack, the throttle response is now a lot better, but I also changed the pilot jet at the same time which I think helped mine a little. But still the spread of power is now exactly what I like, I can't see myself wanting anymore for where I ride.

One thing you must remember that with all this positive feedback some people could be expecting more than what they will get. I will say one thing that my WR is like no other WR that I have ever ridden.

------------------
RodH Canberra, Australia<A HREF="http://www.400thumpers.oz-au.com" TARGET=_blank>
400 Thumpers Australia</A>
2000 WR400F See Photo's and Modifications

• Clark_Mason

Posted July 10, 2000 - 06:16 PM

I think I know of a WR that may be in the same league but who knows maybe I'm just kidding myself! All I know is its taken me about 14 months a near death experience and alot of $$ but its getting there.

Clark

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 16, 2000 - 05:06 AM

Scott H. & Harold,
I am still working on this airbox. I have sent out offers to several shops but no response yet. I will be talking to one of my favorite dealers here in MN on Saturday 7/22 to check on a deal.

FYI: the dealer is Larson's Cycle, Cambridge, MN 612-689-2760.
They are cutting me a deal on an MSR ISDE jacket ($255). I hope we can get the airbox down to $400. How does this sound?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.