Advice: Sell or hold?

10 replies to this topic
  • NM_KDX200

Posted July 30, 2007 - 06:47 PM

It looks like I might be off the bike for 3-6 months while my left arm tendons heal. I have an '04 450F that I bought brand-new last fall (right about this time) with 30.5 h on the engine.

I'm trying to decide if the value of the bike is already pretty well bottomed out, or if it's worth more now that it will be in 6-8 months (if I find out that my tendons haven't healed). Do you think you'd drain the gas and keep the bike, or go ahead and sell it and buy an '06 or better once healed (IF healed...)?

FWIW, the dirt bike market here in Northern NM is very small. The fact that 2 '04's were left sitting on the floor in fall of '06 should tell you something.

• tommyj

Posted July 30, 2007 - 07:55 PM

If you don't mind..how much does a new 04 450 go for in 2006? i would say it would be worth the same in 8 months from now, but it might be easier to sell it right before the winter.

• blue9red9

Posted July 30, 2007 - 07:58 PM

In New Mexico, I would hold it until you see what happens with your body. Maybe a new bike wouldn't be the thing if you don't heal up for some time. I just sold an 03 this year. The 03 to 05 sells just mainly on condition and I think in my area, they are stable in price right now.

• NM_KDX200

Posted July 30, 2007 - 08:08 PM

If you don't mind..how much does a new 04 450 go for in 2006?

I paid $4500 for it. That was on the high side, I know, BUT I was supporting my local dealer who single-handedly got us a track, maintains it, and provides the only legal riding area inside 100 miles. I also got a free track membership ($240), 15% off on anything, and so on. That 15% off makes it cheaper to buy from him than Rocky Mtn ATV!

You can see me (riding with a hurt left arm tendon- not recommended) on the track here:

Prior to this track, we really had nowhere to ride. I'm sure I could've found a better price, but it was worth it to me to support this. :thumbsup:

I'm thinking "wait", too. At the worst, I could soften the suspension, gear it down, put a FWW weight on and use it for a trail bike. Trail riding would be a lot less violent than MX.

• ben_suhard

Posted July 30, 2007 - 08:26 PM

That's a pretty cool track for a backyard job, it looks like you've got the track pretty dialled.
By the sound of it, you'd probably find it hard to get a decent price for it if you sell it now. With only 30 hrs on it, I'd probably keep it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tommyj

Posted July 30, 2007 - 08:47 PM

[quote name='NM_KDX200']I paid $4500 for it. That was on the high side, I know, BUT I was supporting my local dealer who single-handedly got us a track, maintains it, and provides the only legal riding area inside 100 miles. I also got a free track membership ($240), 15% off on anything, and so on. That 15% off makes it cheaper to buy from him than Rocky Mtn ATV!
QUOTE]

It sounds like it was well worth it then. cool track, not bad for a hurt arm!:thumbsup:

• NM_KDX200

Posted July 30, 2007 - 09:14 PM

It sounds like it was well worth it then. cool track, not bad for a hurt arm!:thumbsup:

Thanks. It's good footage of the track, but I really had to pick and choose my spots that day. You can see me tucking the left arm in right before I slid out in the corner (probably why I slid out!). In fact, I think that's the section where I hurt the elbow. We put that in and the next day, my elbow tendon hurt. I was pulling up to clear the little step-over, then a pull to clear a little drop-off coming out of the corner, then pull to clear a set of small doubles, then a rhythm section, and then another right hander leading to the uphill. All of these right turns stressed my left elbow (and I was working at keeping elbows up, too). It feels a lot better now, and I'm doing some exercises from my physical therapist but the right motion will still make it hurt. At 45, it doesn't heal like it used to.

• motomanmike26

Posted July 30, 2007 - 10:00 PM

if i were you id sell. if you dont get healed up, your bike will not be worth the same amount in 8 months, the more it sits the more you'll lose money. if you sell now, and you get healed up then you can get an 06. wouldnt you rather have an 06 then an 04? if i were you id sell but its your decision. hope you heal fast so you get back on a bike. :ride:

• TMAC25

Posted July 30, 2007 - 10:12 PM

Sorry about the arm man, that sucks. That track is also struggling, looks like a back yard jobbie to me. Anyway, just hold onto the 04 as their price wilkl be in the 2,500-3,000 range for another year or so and be between 2 and 2,500 for another 2-3 years.

• motobeck

Posted July 31, 2007 - 08:26 AM

This is one of those situations where only you know what is best for you. Me personally, I would sell. First, because I would not be able to stay off the bike long enough to properly heal and second, it's always nice to upgrade to the newer bike when it's time to start riding again!!!

• NM_KDX200

Posted July 31, 2007 - 02:43 PM

That track is also struggling, looks like a back yard jobbie to me.

You're welcome to come build us a new track! Last year we had NOTHING, so I'm not complaining. The track is actually pretty good- you're looking at less than 1/2 of it in that little video. The whole track is just over 1 mile long. Soon's we get a water truck or system, it'll be a lot better but I'm not complaining. It's a good safe track to ride and we have a lot of fun on it. That's all that counts.

Anyway, I've decided to wait at least 2 months before selling the YZ450F. Two months won't make any difference in $$$ and it'll give me an idea how I'm doing.

Thanks for the opinions.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.