does anyone know about the tank?

11 replies to this topic
  • bigwake

Posted July 30, 2007 - 06:30 PM

i just wondered if anyone knew how far you can ride with a stock tank on an 03 yz450??..i ride trails..but most of the riding is open roads and higher speeds..about 7 miles of that..and then maybe 10 miles of trails and then back 7 miles to the truck..i went on my first ride and it seemed like the bike just chugged that gas..premium!! aahh!!..so does anyone know about what the range is about? thanx-josh

• flintlock28

Posted July 30, 2007 - 06:40 PM

If I remember correctly, most people get about 45-50 miles out of a tank when trail ridden, with the stock tank.

• 642MX

Posted July 30, 2007 - 06:43 PM

i just wondered if anyone knew how far you can ride with a stock tank on an 03 yz450??..i ride trails..but most of the riding is open roads and higher speeds..about 7 miles of that..and then maybe 10 miles of trails and then back 7 miles to the truck..i went on my first ride and it seemed like the bike just chugged that gas..premium!! aahh!!..so does anyone know about what the range is about? thanx-josh

One time I almost ran a tank out in an hour. It was a grand prix and I was averaging 35 MPH (pretty wide open for Indiana). Or I can ride single track all day and it seems to just sip the gas. It really depends on how hard you ride. The main jet has a bigger whole than the pilot jet. :thumbsup:

• bigwake

Posted July 30, 2007 - 06:52 PM

ya..when i'm riding for the 7 miles out and 7 miles back..im averaging 45-50 mph..and then about 30 in the 10 miles section..it just seemed that when i was riding the other day..the beast just guzzled it like nothing..but mayb there is more room than it seems in there?? thanx-josh

• shortburb

Posted July 30, 2007 - 07:09 PM

my bud and i both have 03s, he weights about 70 lbs more than me (im 170) and when we ride together mine always seems to have noticeible lower fuel levels compared to him....getting ABOUT 45 miles....and im sure were jetted close cause they both run well...........

• nap__kxf

Posted July 30, 2007 - 07:12 PM

if you try to keep lower rpms on the straights, like if you'd be in 4th just shift to 5th, and it'll save gas. its the rpm's that get you, not the speed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigwake

Posted July 30, 2007 - 07:16 PM

haha..my bike only has 4 gears..so i guess just stay in 4th..thanx-josh

• grayracer513

Posted July 30, 2007 - 07:27 PM

20 mpg is a conservative bet.

• bigwake

Posted July 30, 2007 - 07:32 PM

ok sounds good! thanx-josh

• cbrewer450

Posted July 30, 2007 - 09:53 PM

My 03 was chuggin' the gas as well. I only trail ride so it was shortening our trips quite a bit. So, I installed an IMS 3.1 gallon tank. Huge difference. Not worried about running out anymore.

• ben_suhard

Posted July 30, 2007 - 10:02 PM

Don't forget that the accelerator pump squirts gas every time you wind the throttle on from fully closed, so with slow tight riding you may use more gas than expected.

• bigwake

Posted July 31, 2007 - 06:43 AM

ok thanx for the info!-josh

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.