What forks will fit?

7 replies to this topic
  • Quack

Posted July 30, 2007 - 05:59 PM

I have a 2003 YZ450F and the left side fork has two dings in the tube. So I am looking to find out what years and models will make a direct replacement, or what I have to do to make a different models forks work.

Thanks for the help

• ThumperKid250F

Posted July 30, 2007 - 06:06 PM

I have a 2003 YZ450F and the left side fork has two dings in the tube. So I am looking to find out what years and models will make a direct replacement, or what I have to do to make a different models forks work.

Thanks for the help

well you wouldent want to have a 2004 fork on 1 side then a 2003 fork on the other side that wouldent make sense since in 2004 it got better suspension.

but neather way i dont think any newer years would fit but im not sure. try calling up your yamaha dealer and have them look up the part #

• KJ790

Posted July 30, 2007 - 06:50 PM

If you're not going to get a 2003 fork you would have to get a pair of forks. Whatever you get they will have to be from a bike either 2003 or older. In 2004 the forks were made larger diameter, so if you got a pair of newer forks you would have to get new triple clamps to fit them.

• Quack

Posted July 30, 2007 - 06:53 PM

So 03 back to when? What models, I am thinking the best is to replace as a pair. I have been watching ebay, but am not sure which ones I could get.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted July 30, 2007 - 07:11 PM

So 03 back to when? What models, I am thinking the best is to replace as a pair. I have been watching ebay, but am not sure which ones I could get.

I believe that 98 to 03 they where all 46mm forks. 04 and up are 48mm. The valving is different from year to year also.

• grayracer513

Posted July 30, 2007 - 07:14 PM

The only ones that will directly fit and have the correct valving and springs are those from an '03 YZ450. You could use the fork tube assemblies from any '01-'03 YZ/YZF and as far as fitting on the bike they would. As far as working right, they'd need to be re-sprung and revalved.

I have a set of '04 forks on mine, using '04 clamps, of course. You could also use '05's, again with the right clamp set, and your wheel, etc., would still fit.

• Quack

Posted July 30, 2007 - 10:59 PM

Thanks Gray, that is what I was wondering. I could just take the guts out of mine and reuse them in the other forks, correct? Or I can get a complete front end for a newer year and switch it out completely?

• grayracer513

Posted July 31, 2007 - 08:34 AM

I am not certain about the interchangeability of the internals of the '01-'03 forks. The springs will interchange, though. The '04 and '05 forks are each two unique issues, and can't be mixed with parts from other forks.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.