Uncork-but want to keep it somewhate quite

15 replies to this topic
  • jwcbf

Posted July 30, 2007 - 05:24 PM

Hey Folks,

Plated my XR650R one and a half years ago. No problem following the info off the Dual Sport Forum. Got my new Green sticker and registration a few months ago... again no problem. I have passed many officers with out a second glance. I have noticed a lot of talk on the Ds forum of folks getting harrased and even loosing their plates as of late.

I was thinking maybe some of my lack of harrasment is because it is a 650R with the extended lights from Baja designs (Not the flush mount) it looks pretty close to an Xl (to the untrained eye). It is also pretty quiet. CA version.

I would like to uncork it and regear so I can ride it on the freeway more. 65mph is pushing it right now.

My concern is.. drawing attention after uncorking due to the extra noise.
Is there a way to uncork and keep the sound level even close to stock?

Thanks for the help:ride:

• abby

Posted July 30, 2007 - 05:57 PM

You might want to read this thread.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=464838

I had the same concern (strictly off-road), but ended up going with an FMF Q2. There are a ton of options, some free (modding the stock tip) but this was the quietest option I could find. When I first measured the Q2, I got about 95 DBA at 3250 RPM, but turned out I was testing way too close to a building. Retesting in a more open area gave me better numbers.

Stock tip at idle (1400 RPM): 78 DB
Stock Tip at 3250 RPM: 87 DB

FMF Q2 at idle (1400 RPM): 83 DB
FMF Q2 at 3250 RPM: 90 DB

The drilled stock tip is like 96 DBA. The HRC tip is somewhere over 100. Loud.

Initially I thought it was too loud because I was used to the stocker - I've had it on for about 30 hours now, an am liking it. It will sound a lot louder than the stock tip - but I got used to it and it was below my 94 DBA requirement - and the bike runs great.

• MikeZ

Posted July 31, 2007 - 10:06 AM

I put the Baja Designs baffle in my HRC tip. No db measurements, but it runs well and is decently quiet. Much more so than open.

-Z

• Denn10

Posted July 31, 2007 - 10:36 AM

I would like to uncork it and regear so I can ride it on the freeway more. 65mph is pushing it right now.

My concern is.. drawing attention after uncorking due to the extra noise.
Is there a way to uncork and keep the sound level even close to stock?

Thanks for the help:ride:

With all the "hogs" on the road today rumbling the crap outta the roads why are you worried about sound on the freeway? I have a WB E-Series and those are quiet with few disc's and you can tune to how you like it.

• jwcbf

Posted August 01, 2007 - 06:40 PM

Denn,

Guys werre mentioning on the Dual sport site that their bikes were getting a lot more attention lately. Some folks even loosing their plates (some guys have CRF450s plated).

Again, I simply want to uncork, regear, but don't want a rumbler.

• hill5150

Posted August 01, 2007 - 06:59 PM

Loud pipes save lives.............

• jwcbf

Posted August 01, 2007 - 07:31 PM

Hill5150,

I hope you rely on a lot more than dbs for safety (especially if you ride in LA).

If anyone else actually has an answer to the question... please post.

Thanks to the others that have done so.:thumbsup:

• BWB63

Posted August 01, 2007 - 07:43 PM

:smirk: I think the good days are over........ this is a XL650L club now. After all it is the best bike in the world........:blah:
I think they won. Most of our kind left a year ago. The guys that were about making a reliable race bike that could use the street when it had to and race the desert or Baja when we could, then come home and ride Big Bear or Kennedy Medows, clear creek, deap canyon, Jawbone or what ever you have in your state. Barnum, Mike Kay, and the others moved on and some of us stayed with the pig and didn't move on to different pastures. Now the pen is left with mostly "L's", no sense of humour, quiet bikes, second rider pegs, 50/50 tires, being nice to each other, Daves carb mod's, :blah: :blah: :blah:
No more 400 post threads, no more flame wars....those were some good days:thumbsup: back when you could read, smell the smoke and invision an 'L' :mad: just like that. Now that is a :naughty: Well I guess what goes around comes around. It's the 'R' guys that get to be in the back ground now....or maybe the Husky 510, KTM525 well, something.........:p

Someone once said, something about fat office guys, to afriad to get a real bike....I don't know what they were talking about but, I do remember a few:eek: :crazy: :banghead: :mad: :p yes the good old days are gone :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR680RR

Posted August 01, 2007 - 07:54 PM

The 'Q' with the insert is quiet. Jetting is somewhere around 170 main, 68s pilot, stock needle on third or forth clip down. Some have drilled out the stock muffler tip to only 1.5" instead of 2" and used jetting the same but, maybe a 172 at sea level about 88~90db. What ever you do make sure you jet right and not on the lean side. You can cut out the carb insulator center, keep the stock needle and needle seat, take the air box rubber thing and plastic block off out, block off the smog thing and have what you want. There is no reason to buy the b53e needle and seat if you are not going for a more open exhaust, it will not be needed or wanted.

I wouldn't use a FMF 'Q' but, I have ridden a XR650R with one. It is not a high flow muffler but, does give a little in the mid RPM and is better then a constopated stock muffler but, does not flow as much as a stock muffler open to 2" or useing an HRC tip.

They say this about it

The rugged Q muffler was developed to decrease the sound level of a spark arrested US Forest legal muffler without hampering performance and rideability. The power delivery has been engineered to aid traction in slippery conditions and add control.

Computer designed and dyno tested for each 4-stroke application.
The Q uses advanced sound deadening baffles and chambers, an internal spark arrestor and durable space age packing material.

They are right it does not take away from stock power but, it is not much better either but, stock sucks!

• Huffa 2

Posted August 02, 2007 - 02:17 AM

With all the "hogs" on the road today rumbling the crap outta the roads why are you worried about sound on the freeway? I have a WB E-Series and those are quiet with few disc's and you can tune to how you like it.

YES, I have also the E series (L model) and they are very respectable with noise level, in no way are they obnoxious or anything and with 4 disc in mine, it isn't loud what so ever on highway and acceptable when in neighborhoods.

I'm even going to try a few more disc in, just to experiment with it.

Certainly louder then stock, I think they are just perfect, really! :thumbsup:

Shortest muffler and best looking too, I love the slim oval style. Matter of fact I don't like any of the other mufflers, they are too long, just don't look balanced with bike.

Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted August 02, 2007 - 06:39 AM

:smirk: I think the good days are over........ this is a XL650L club now. After all it is the best bike in the world........:blah:
I think they won. Most of our kind left a year ago. The guys that were about making a reliable race bike that could use the street when it had to and race the desert or Baja when we could, then come home and ride Big Bear or Kennedy Medows, clear creek, deap canyon, Jawbone or what ever you have in your state. Barnum, Mike Kay, and the others moved on and some of us stayed with the pig and didn't move on to different pastures. Now the pen is left with mostly "L's", no sense of humour, quiet bikes, second rider pegs, 50/50 tires, being nice to each other, Daves carb mod's, :blah: :blah: :blah:
No more 400 post threads, no more flame wars....those were some good days:thumbsup: back when you could read, smell the smoke and invision an 'L' :mad: just like that. Now that is a :naughty: Well I guess what goes around comes around. It's the 'R' guys that get to be in the back ground now....or maybe the Husky 510, KTM525 well, something.........:p

Someone once said, something about fat office guys, to afriad to get a real bike....I don't know what they were talking about but, I do remember a few:eek: :crazy: :banghead: :mad: :p yes the good old days are gone :cry:

:cry: i have an L and it is most definately not how you describe the L!:blah:

• BWB63

Posted August 02, 2007 - 06:01 PM

:cry: i have an L and it is most definately not how you describe the L!:blah:

This was a fun thread for those that didn't take it personal>

http://www.thumperta...ke in the world

It was what I was talking about. It wasn't the bikes that were smoke'n or blowing up it was the 'L' rides going :mad:

Some ran with it and had fun. Some got some good 'R' jabs in. I thought it was funny.

• bosshog

Posted August 02, 2007 - 06:39 PM

I have an uncorked R street plated with the HRC tip installed. I also don't get a second look as it looks close to the L. Which is exactly why I still have the standard BD turn signals installed instead of something slimmer. Now for that uncorked, HRC tip noise drawing attention it's not an issue for me. If I accelerate at normal rates and don't crack open the throtle I won't even turn a head on the street. I drive on the streets mostly to get to offroad locations so offroad is where I spend most of my time. Just driving normal on the street nobody will notice the noise. If I did crack open the throtle the front wheel would be in the air so yes I would get attention but not from the noise. If this sounds like your driving style than you won't have a problem either. You have to uncork that bike, I can't believe the differece it makes. The noise won't be a factor for you but you will be smilling more.

• martinfan30

Posted August 02, 2007 - 09:21 PM

This was a fun thread for those that didn't take it personal>

http://www.thumperta...ke in the world

It was what I was talking about. It wasn't the bikes that were smoke'n or blowing up it was the 'L' rides going :mad:

Some ran with it and had fun. Some got some good 'R' jabs in. I thought it was funny.

that thread has some funny ish in it! i got ya now! good call.:thumbsup:

• hill5150

Posted August 04, 2007 - 05:21 PM

Hill5150,

I hope you rely on a lot more than dbs for safety (especially if you ride in LA).

If anyone else actually has an answer to the question... please post.

Thanks to the others that have done so.:thumbsup:

I rely on myself and trust no one for safety. Not real sure why anyone would want a quiet bike on the road, my pipe has saved my ass many a time..........I am apparently no help here, good luck.......:thumbsup:

• jwcbf

Posted August 05, 2007 - 12:39 AM

Hill5150,

My concern is keeping my plate. I live in Burbank and see the Fast and Furious youngsters getting popped for exhaust, tinting, whatever. I agree with you its safer for a car to know you are there (and hearing you is one way). Paying attention and expecting the unexpected I believe pays off even more. I don't know where in Cali you live but most of my Police experiences have not been positive and sometimes include motivated inspections to find something wrong. And again (the main reason for the original post) things seem to be getting worse according to our brothers on the Dual Sport section.

It looks like I got some good info to uncork and keep the dbs reasonable.:D

Your post is appreciated... :ride:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.