Stripped Bolt on cylinder

5 replies to this topic
  • KerryT

Posted July 10, 2000 - 10:34 AM

While adjusting the valves and timing I stripped the bolt that holds on the decompression actuator on the right side of the cylinder. It's tapped right into the cylinder and starting to leak oil. The bolt is kind of a funky design too. I jb welded it a few weeks ago before an enduro to get by but now it's leaking again. Any suggestions?

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 10, 2000 - 11:19 AM

Check to see if you can order it through Yamaha.

If it is a stud, I have removed mine buy cranking a vice-grip on it and spinning it out. This has worked beautifully on the aluminum studs I stripped out on my Honda's Showa fork legs. I replaced them w/ steel studs from the hardware store, and used lockwashers to prevent overtightening the nuts (I could watch the lockwasher compress).

99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat, jetting by Clark, got forked by Pro Action.

For clarification: WE'LL be having a KICK ASS time in Moab!! Right Mitch?!!

• KerryT

Posted July 10, 2000 - 11:30 AM

The bolt seems to be tapped directly into the soft aluminum cylinder and it is the cylinder that is stripped not the bolt.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Clark_Mason

Posted July 10, 2000 - 06:40 PM

I will bet you can you drill it out use a heli coil insert kit and then seal the whole thing with a copper washer and some Gaskachinch?? You will have to pay particular attention to the depth of the heli-coil insert but it is repairable on the bike if you are careful and very clean on with your work habbits and gard against any chips getting into the engine during drilling, etc.

If you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself take the head off and take it or mail it to a reputable shop and they can professionally repair it. It is definatly fixible.

[This message has been edited by Clark Mason (edited 07-10-2000).]

• Dougie

Posted July 13, 2000 - 04:16 AM

I did the same thing the first time I changed to YZ timing and did my valves. It went back in but it never torqued down and I know I stripped it.

The next time I will have to change my exhaust valve shims, I just know it will stip out for good. It isn't leaking yet or coming out but I'm screwed the next time.

My only thought will be to get it re-tapped. I have stripped about 3 bolt holes so far on the aluminum parts of this bike. I am compensating with lock washers for the time being.

Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics, Renthal bars, 14/52 gearing.

[This message has been edited by Dougie (edited 07-13-2000).]

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 13, 2000 - 05:07 AM

As Clark mentioned, the helio-coil is the only way for a sure fix.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.