Possible Gearing Change

3 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 12, 2000 - 06:00 AM

Have a WR timed '98 400 with a lot of the mods presented on this post. Current gearing is 13 front and 49 rear. Consistent problem is that I stall the bike coming into turns and such. I know that this is partially due to my riding (using clutch, staying on the gas, etc....). I have been thinking about re-gearing to 13-51 or 52 because I don't need the top end as much as I love the bottom end. Plus I think that it will be alot better for me where I ride. Question is, will this change result in me stalling more/less or no effect?

• 2000WR400

Posted July 12, 2000 - 11:03 AM

I went with a 52t rear and it made a HUGE differance in the slow technical stuff. I would definitally recommend this mod.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Taffy

Posted July 12, 2000 - 12:40 PM

i do the slow nadgery stuff like you & i have been using 13 x 48 or 50. i find i can roll up to the top of some of these man made steep climbs & it hasn't stalled. also in real gloop (the 1' deep variety) i can run as quickly as it will go slow!

as for stalling, are you locking up the back brake when you stomp on it? how about adjusting it down a smidge so that it's binding & not locking.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 12, 2000 - 12:59 PM

After reading my own post, I may have figured out my problem. I may be going into a braking section in too high a gear with no throttle. That combined with hitting the brakes may be the reason I'm stalling. Gearing up to a 52 may create a monster though in terms of bottom end.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.