any way's to take out small scratches on gas tank

6 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 11, 2000 - 12:04 PM

they are very small but look bad...
busch

• Bill

Posted July 11, 2000 - 01:58 PM

I've seen advertised a product called plastic renew or something like that. I'm sure someone here knows the name.

Good luck
Bill

------------------
86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted July 11, 2000 - 02:36 PM

I hate to say it however; you're fighting an uphill battle! When I bought my first new bike, I was so anal about scratches. Now, I don't trash my bike however; riding is a lot more fun when you don't worry about scratches. The fact is, if you ride, your bike is going to get scratched. I'd save your money and buy some cool parts that add to the performance of your bike. My .02-.03 cents.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gil

Posted July 11, 2000 - 07:11 PM

Busch/Bill,

I tried Plasic Renew on my daughter's RM125, and what a lot of work! It took me hours to sand the scratches out, and the liquid shine (I heard Mop and Glo is the same stuff) doesn't hold up. I wouldn't do it again, ever. I'm with Bryan, and I almost wish they didn't make bikes look so good, so you wouldn't have to fret when you trash them.

Gil

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 11, 2000 - 09:27 PM

The best thing to do (its too late now) is ...when the bike is brand new...cover the likely scratch areas with that heavy duty clear vinyl with adhesive on the back....it will take you a couple of hours to cut and apply it before the first ride, and cost about $24...but you will be amazed how good your plastic looks a year later.

• RodH

Posted July 12, 2000 - 01:33 AM

I have a little bit about the clear vinyl on this site http://www.400thumpe.../shop/index.htm

I have used it for a few years, and it lets fussy people like me throw the bike on the ground and ride through bushes and past branches without fear of make the bike look like **** .

------------------
RodH Canberra, Australia<A HREF="http://www.400thumpers.oz-au.com" TARGET=_blank>
400 Thumpers Australia</A>
2000 WR400F See Photo's and Modifications

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 12, 2000 - 06:51 PM

If you don't like small scraches, get a grinder and make some big ones.
I'm sorry, for I have been drinking.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.