!!!!!Valve Clearances!!!!!

7 replies to this topic
  • alarming

Posted July 10, 2000 - 02:15 AM

hi there I'm going though the pratice of checking / setting the valves. I'm having a bad run. I've tryed 6 different brands shapes and sizes of feeler blades and not yet found a set to clear cylinder head casting or cam retainers .......I've over come the problem by removing the cams and checking clearance with PLASTI-GAUGE much more accurate way of checking in my eyes

• Scott_F

Posted July 10, 2000 - 08:11 AM

Keep shopping. The angled feeler gauges seem to work best. All of the gauges I have tried are a tight fit width wise. I wish I could find narrow angled ones.

You shouldn't have to check clearances more than once every few months, unless your mileage is very high.

Scott F

• Taffy

Posted July 10, 2000 - 09:42 PM

snap-on do a narrow angled feeler guage set.

• alarming

Posted July 10, 2000 - 11:47 AM

cheers for the help guy's I have tryed the snap on feeler blade theye were the best fiting of the lot but still couldn't get a good movement in the tappet....( not accurate enough for my liking.
Many thanks
Andrew

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Andy_Baker

Posted July 10, 2000 - 12:17 PM

Having just checked the valve clearances on my mates '99 Wr400 , we were horrified to find that the clearances were less than half of what they should be ( those that we could get at anyway !! )
We are pretty sure they have not been looked at since new , so it is unlikely they have been adjusted wrongly - but why would they wear TIGHT ?
Also , why would they need checking every 500km ? you dont check them at such regularity on Superbikes - and most cars dont need checking until 60,00 km or more !
Are we all paranoid over valve clearances , or are WR cams made from ice cream ?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 10, 2000 - 04:34 PM

They "wear tighter" because the valve head and valve seat have been rubbing against each other and wearing a bit which allows the valve to 'sink' into the head a little bit...therefore 'tightening up' the clearance on the stem end... I think you will find that after the initial adjustment there is not much wear and you will only have to adjust them once a year, but maybe check them twice a year.

• Clark_Mason

Posted July 10, 2000 - 06:24 PM

My experience was I had to adjust two of the intake valves at about 800 miles and no other adjustments since (approx 3500miles on bike now). I check the valves every three months and have found very little change since the initial adjustment.

Clark

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 12, 2000 - 07:15 PM

The best feeler gauge to use is the Yamaha recommended gauge from Kent-Moore tool company. The blades are 5 mm wide and 100 mm in length and fit nicely. The part number is YM-34483. You will have to order it from a Yamaha dealer though as Kent-Moore only sells this tool to dealers.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.