Power Bomb + Stroker SX-1 a Great combo

10 replies to this topic
  • Clark_Mason

Posted July 09, 2000 - 10:52 AM

Today I ran the FMF Power Bomb header and the Stroker SX-1 spark arrested tail section. This combination provided outstanding low end and mid range pull and it is quieter than using the FMF PCIV-2. I would rate the performance as identical. The Stroker has the added benefit that it is quieter and use of their quiet tip will further reduce the db's. Although I did not run the quiet tip I have in the past and it does further reduce the sound output.

This combination definately out performed the Stroker SX-1 and stock head pipe combination I tried earlier this year. If you ride trails and do not need speed over 85mph this is a excellent setup. It will stay on my bike through the remainder of the summer for rides out of my garage and for use in the national forests.

This combination does not have the top end of some of the other systems but neither does the FMF PCIV-2. I rate this combo as probably as good as it gets today for power, ridability and quiet. It does not rev as far out as the Yoshimura or the White Brothers but its quiet and third gear wheelies are no problem at all, all things considered I consider it to be a great combination.

Clark

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 09, 2000 - 11:30 AM

Clark, You are just chock full of great ideas today!
You have sealed the fate of my PC-IV/SA idea.

Thanks again, Clark!!

Kevin

------------------
99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat, jetting by Clark, got forked by Pro Action.
AMA, NETRA

For clarification: WE'LL be having a KICK ASS time in Moab!! Right Mitch?!!

• Nathan_In_So_Cal

Posted July 09, 2000 - 04:01 PM

Clark .... do you suppose the SX-1 Muffler will fit my Big Gun Tapered header? The lower decibels "sounds" inviting. I suppose I could call Stroker if you dont know.... but I have a feeling you might.
Thanks

• Nathan_In_So_Cal

Posted July 09, 2000 - 04:11 PM

hey I forgot my signature

------------------
Nathan Apelbaum
99 WR400F IMS Seat/Tank,Scotts full suspension mods,Fastlines front line w/CR routing,Scotts Tripletree,Dampner and Protaper combo,Big Gun tapered header and muffler,W.R.D. 7.5oz flywheel weight, de-octopussed, Ricky Stator rewind, Air box lid off,UNI Air filter,DSC legalizer kit,Dunlop K139 Frt D606 rear and a couple of other little bits

• Clark_Mason

Posted July 09, 2000 - 04:48 PM

The input to the Stroker muffler tail section is larger than any other I have seen. I takes either their large and I mean large diameter REV head pipe or a stock diameter head pipe. To use a Stock diameter head pipe you need one of those expensive stock carbon/mesh gaskets plus a aluminum spacer around the gasket which is provided by stroker. I also got the White Brothers tapered head pipe to fit by wrapping four wraps of aluminized thin metal high temperature tape as used in water heater flues and stove top vents--avaliable at all hardware stores. However, the WB taper pipe on this muffler did not work as well as did the PowerBomb header.

Another note about Stroker I would go with the YZ tail section, the YZ mounting arrangement just works better. You will need the YZ rubber gromet insert and metal insert with the attached washer flange available through Yamaha or Stroker. If you have more questions e-mail me or post here.

Clark

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mike

Posted July 09, 2000 - 05:11 PM

Did you get the DB's tested? IF so how loud?

Mike

• Clark_Mason

Posted July 09, 2000 - 06:26 PM

So far this year I have not been tested for sound. My estimate is with the Stroker it will be around 98 to 101db and with the quiet tip installed about 3db less. Just my eatimate but to the rider it is definatly quieter and also my riding buds say yes it is quieter. Works for me. The only way to get quieter would be with the FMF Mega Max II and its quiet core installed but at a performance loss.

Clark

• sbohanon

Posted July 10, 2000 - 07:48 AM

clark,
how do you think the power bomb header would work with the stock yz silencer? will it fit without adapters etc.?

• Clark_Mason

Posted July 10, 2000 - 06:56 PM

The PowerBomb is the same outside diameter as the stock header and should fit in any application where the stock unit is used.

Clark

• Kyle

Posted July 11, 2000 - 09:59 PM

Hey Clarke, where can I find the Stroker. Don't see it in any of my Mags.

Kyle

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 11, 2000 - 10:51 AM

www.strokerspeed.com

[This message has been edited by Kevin in New Hampshire (edited 07-11-2000).]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.