XR650L Front Suspension Adjustments??

19 replies to this topic
  • jollysig

Posted July 29, 2007 - 08:38 PM

I bought a 07 xr650l a month ago or so. I finally got around to buying a lowering link to make the bike alittle more manageable at my height. I raised the front forks about an inch to level the bike. I set the rear suspension where it feels right but don't know how to set the front suspension. I see there are air valves but is this the only way to set the front suspension. Right now it feels way to soft and I would like to firm it up a bit... is there a way to do this?

Thanks

• martinfan30

Posted July 29, 2007 - 08:47 PM

I bought a 07 xr650l a month ago or so. I finally got around to buying a lowering link to make the bike alittle more manageable at my height. I raised the front forks about an inch to level the bike. I set the rear suspension where it feels right but don't know how to set the front suspension. I see there are air valves but is this the only way to set the front suspension. Right now it feels way to soft and I would like to firm it up a bit... is there a way to do this?

Thanks

there is a screw at the bottom of each fork leg. the owners manual says it is for compression adjustment.

• TREADMARKS

Posted July 30, 2007 - 03:14 AM

I tried the progressive springs and did not like them because they seemed to reduce the amount of travel. Went back to the stock springs and removed the gorilla snot lube from the factory and flushed the forks with mobil1 syn atf. It is a little thicker than factory and just a little more than stock will keep it from the excessive dive. It also helped with the 70-80 wobble a bit.

• martinfan30

Posted July 30, 2007 - 06:36 AM

i will try that. the 70-80 wobble can be a little unnerving with wind!:eek:

• XRL650

Posted December 26, 2011 - 05:39 AM

Ok, never adjusted forks before, XR 650L.

Those things at bottom of fork what do you do with them to make stock standard XR650L better for 250lbs rider?

Regards

• ThumpNRed

Posted December 26, 2011 - 09:28 AM

Those things at bottom of fork what do you do with them to make stock standard XR650L better for 250lbs rider?

Regards

The adjusters will do little to no good for a rider of your weight. The stock forks are undersprung for someone weighing 250 pounds. If you want to keep the stock forks, get an appropriate set of springs for them and then start messing with the adjusters.

• Cumbacheech

Posted December 26, 2011 - 11:28 AM

Regards

Like ThumpNRed said... You will need to get heavier springs for sure. I put heavier Eibach springs on my bike and it was a big improvement. I also have the gold valves that are waiting to be installed... not sure if I will do it yet or do the CR(F) fork conversion instead...

Cheers,

Cumbacheech

• ThumpNRed

Posted December 26, 2011 - 01:10 PM

I would however suggest doing the math on a USD conversion before you dive too deep into the OEM forks. At 250 pounds, you are going to have to respring even if you decide to go USD, so that is a wash. If you are otherwise happy with the stiffness and valving of your OEM forks, springs may get you where you want to be. You may end up dumping a bunch of cash into your OEM forks only to find that they still are not up to the job.
My opinion... not shared by all.

• scalejockey

Posted December 26, 2011 - 02:08 PM

My opinion... not shared by all.

Best fork ever made!

:bonk:

• jjast

Posted December 26, 2011 - 03:58 PM

those are only compression damping adjustments, so the band-aid would be to stiffen the forks, turn clockwise??? <-I don't recall at the moment.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old Dog

Posted December 26, 2011 - 05:29 PM

those are only compression damping adjustments, so the band-aid would be to stiffen the forks, turn clockwise??? <-I don't recall at the moment.

Yes, clockwise = stiffer, counterclockwise = softer. I think Honda calls 1/8th of a complete rotation a "click". Stock/factory setting is 3 clicks out from fully seated.

• XRL650

Posted December 27, 2011 - 12:25 AM

Ok, so the judgement is....

There is squat bugger all that I can do to my stock front suspension. I will have to investigate the fork replacement issue further before desicion can be made.

Question ? - Would pumping some air into them at the top have any result?

Now for the back suspension, anything I can do there with the standard stuff?

Thanks for all that gave their input

• Old Dog

Posted December 27, 2011 - 01:13 AM

There is squat bugger all that I can do to my stock front suspension. I will have to investigate the fork replacement issue further before desicion can be made.

Uuuum ... where/why did you come to the conclusion that there's "squat bugger all that you can do to the stock front suspension"?

The stock XRL forks are more than adequate for the majority of riders out there. I weigh in at around 215-225lbs and I have my "clickers" set on 6 out from the stiffest setting (I didn't need to re-spring it, the stock springs were adequate). I've also changed out the stock fork oil for Amsoil synthetic ATF. With those two "modifications" alone I've found the forks to be much more compatible with off-road riding. I then added a fork brace (Super-Brace) that took away the majority of the "twistiness" ( stiffened up the tendency to twist when encountering wheel ruts, etc.). This was good enough for me until I decided to convert my bike to a Supermoto, at which point I also added a steering stabilizer (which also helped in the dirt, btw).

My total cost, including the brace and the stabilizer (most USD setups should also need a stabilizer btw), was around $400+ or - .

My advice is to work with the stock forks ... this way you can try one modification at a time, if that one mod doesn't quite do it for you, move on to the next mod. IMHO, this is a better approach than TOTALLY swapping out the front end for a CR USD setup because with a used (ebay, etc.) setup you'll almost certainly need to re-spring/re-valve them right from the get-go ... and there's no telling what kind of shape they'll be in in the first place. With an USD setup you also need to do intensive ($$$) modifications to the triples and stem ... not to mention the alterations/need for a new/compatible front wheel.

I'm sure that I'll get attacked by the USD crowd here for suggesting you go with modifications to the stock forks, but ... so be it. :smirk:

• ThumpNRed

Posted December 27, 2011 - 06:12 AM

I would recommend cruising over to the suspension forum and ask the air in the forks question. Eddie knows a bunch about bike suspension and will give you an expert answer with no bias toward the way he chose to set up his bike.

• cal50

Posted December 28, 2011 - 08:15 AM

I had the same issue. I changed the fork fluid and replaced it with ATF fluid.
BIG difference.

No more nose diving using the front brake and a MUCH better feeling from the front suspension. Well worth the effort and not hard (and cheap) to do.

• XRL650

Posted December 29, 2011 - 01:09 PM

Ok, so let's rephrase that

I can change fluid in front fork with ATF and put a fork brace on and that's about it for stock suspension?

Now what about the back stock suspension for 250+ rider

Thanks for all the info guys

• elsalvadorXR6

Posted December 29, 2011 - 02:07 PM

NO DUDE!

there is a bunch of stuff you can do man! alll $$$$ dependant.

First re-spring for your weight.
second revalve for your riding style and terrain

then or before this you can add a fork brace, change fluids, adjust clickers..

If you want to get all fancy you can add a steering stabilizer on he handlebars that has a big impact on how the suspension feels to you.

On mine I have a nice rsw brace and its noticeable on tight terrain and rutted stuff. also at speed on the highway.

The same applies to your shock, except for the brace.

It all depends on dollars, but first go with the simple stuff.

You have options.

Cheers!

• cal50

Posted December 29, 2011 - 06:19 PM

Ok, so let's rephrase that

I can change fluid in front fork with ATF and put a fork brace on and that's about it for stock suspension?

Now what about the back stock suspension for 250+ rider

Thanks for all the info guys

I am 6'2" @ 245 and the stock suspension works good for me.

(Handle bar risers made a big difference and another topic)!

• XRL650

Posted December 29, 2011 - 10:55 PM

NO DUDE!

there is a bunch of stuff you can do man! alll $$$$ dependant.

First re-spring for your weight.
second revalve for your riding style and terrain

then or before this you can add a fork brace, change fluids, adjust clickers..

If you want to get all fancy you can add a steering stabilizer on he handlebars that has a big impact on how the suspension feels to you.

On mine I have a nice rsw brace and its noticeable on tight terrain and rutted stuff. also at speed on the highway.

The same applies to your shock, except for the brace.

It all depends on dollars, but first go with the simple stuff.

You have options.

Cheers!

Thanks

As I said in beginning, I am now only looking for the cheap easy mods. I realise that I would have to respring. But I would 1st then investigate the matter of cost versus USD conversion. My suspension is definitely not handling my weight at moment.

How difficult is it to revalve and would it make difference along with ATF fluid and brace. What valves should I be looking at?

Now for the shock, it has 2 places to make adjustments, top and bottom.

Again for heavy rider, what shall I set on each? And tips, I have not done this before but am going to give it a go.

Thanks again for all that reply with info

• XRL650

Posted December 29, 2011 - 10:56 PM

Hi

Already ordered the raisers

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.