Any tips on hot starting?

5 replies to this topic
  • ScottyR

Posted July 09, 2000 - 05:41 PM

My patience is starting to wear thin with my 2000 WR400F. I was in a harescrambles today and I dropped the bike. I picked it up, pulled out the hot start, didnt touch the gas and started kicking. About 50 kicks and 20 minutes later, it finally started after it cooled down and I shut off the gas. It did it again on my next lap. I was in the top 5 when it did it the first time but ended up 20th by the end of the day. I am getting very frustrated with this bike and to the point I will sell it if someone would buy the lump from me!! ($6000 CDN or approx $4300 US) What can I do so it wont flood out after a fall? I know I should have changed a plug but it still would have taken me 10-15 minutes I'm sure. THANKS!! Scotty

• Clark_Mason

Posted July 09, 2000 - 06:35 PM

I have had the same experience with a real hot motor I bumped the PJ up one size and it helped. Went from a 48 to a 50 below 4500feet and from a 45 to a 48 above 4500 feet. My 99WR 400 bike is YZ timed. I think I have been running lean on the pilot for some time it may have something to do with the Vortex ignition I have on the bike?

Clark

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 10, 2000 - 01:07 AM

I just read in MXA for a flooded YZF, they HOLD the compression release in, open the throttle and kick it over rapidly 10 times.

MXA August 2000: 4 Stroke Starting Secrets

Ever since I finally had the proper starting technique DRILLED into my head, my bike has never failed to start for me, flooded or not, in no more than 5 kicks. I wonder if your carb is jetted right...???

------------------
99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat, jetting by Clark, got forked by Pro Action.
AMA, NETRA

For clarification: WE'LL be having a KICK ASS time in Moab!! Right Mitch?!!

[This message has been edited by Kevin in New Hampshire (edited 07-10-2000).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ScottyR

Posted July 10, 2000 - 04:59 AM

I have YZ timing, 180 main, 48 pilot and DVP needle 5th clip (I'm not 100% sure though).

• James_Dean

Posted July 10, 2000 - 10:43 AM

Your jetting could be borderline rich. If it doesn't start in 2-3 kicks hot, the compression release and kick 10 times no throttle is good advice. Check that your pilot screw is not set too rich and probably try a clip leaner on the needle(4th clip).
James Dean

• Clark_Mason

Posted July 10, 2000 - 06:54 PM

I concur with James on the clip position with the DVP needle #5 seems a little rich. Again I went to the 50 PJ, however, this was after I stopped using VP C-12--while using the race gas I was using a 48PJ. It makes since to me that I would have to richen the jetting on pump gas. I still feel the richer low end jetting I'm now using is related to the Vortex ignition vs stock. But as a additional comment STROKER recommends a 50PJ.

Clark

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.