Hard starting - decompression troubles ?

6 replies to this topic
  • Devil

Posted July 29, 2007 - 07:00 PM

My XR600 with the 630 kit on it has become a bitch to start cold. It used to start hot or cold near first kick. I noticed my auto decompression unit does not appear to work compared with other 600's. I have always used the manual one to get it into the TDC and one good kick would be enough. Valve clearances are correct. Any one out there with any ideas if the decompression system not working could cause the hard starting :excuseme: problem ?.

• martinfan30

Posted July 29, 2007 - 08:37 PM

My XR600 with the 630 kit on it has become a bitch to start cold. It used to start hot or cold near first kick. I noticed my auto decompression unit does not appear to work compared with other 600's. I have always used the manual one to get it into the TDC and one good kick would be enough. Valve clearances are correct. Any one out there with any ideas if the decompression system not working could cause the hard starting :excuseme: problem ?.

is it harder to kick over? bad fuel?

• Devil

Posted July 29, 2007 - 10:45 PM

Same to kick from TDC but impossible to push through compression without the manual decompression lever.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted July 30, 2007 - 12:51 PM

If it used to start easily, but now gives you problems, something must have changed.

Do you have the stock or an aftermarket cam? Many aftermarket cams do not have the auto decomp system.

For me hard starting was a symptom or worn out parts. Valves that leak or shot rings. However, there are a few other things which can cause these starting issues. First is the carb. Clogged passages, clogged jets, and changes in the float level can causes hard starting. Another possible problem area is the ignition. Weak ignition usually shows most at starting, because the engine is turning so slowly. The stator is usually the part that fails, but all of the other components can fail as well. Even the wire from the coil to the plug can cause problems.

• hondacrf150f1

Posted July 30, 2007 - 04:06 PM

I have a similar question, my 2007 XR650R starts way harder than my 03 XR650R. Of coarce it only has 58 Miles on it, im quessing its got so much compression due to the brand new motor? If the decompression is not used there is no way to start it cold unless you put the kickstand down and stand up on the pegs!

• martinfan30

Posted July 31, 2007 - 06:47 AM

cable adjustment?:excuseme:

• azmanxman

Posted July 31, 2007 - 08:03 AM

My 95 600R is actually pretty easy to kick through without the use of the manual lever. In fact, I only recently even put a lever and cable on it. For some unknown reason the guy I bought it off had removed it, he said "ah you never need that because it's got auto decompression". I kept it that way for a year and although it was a pain to start when cold, I could always kick it over.

Still, it's nice to have the lever for flushing it out when I drop it.

The Honda manual has a schematic and explanation of the auto system at the back. I've looked at it but still only vaguely understand how it works.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.