Too much bike for a small person?

7 replies to this topic
  • Nevitt33

Posted July 06, 2000 - 10:55 AM

I have ridden a CR250 for the past several years, and just recently moved to Denver. I couldn't bring the CR out with me because I couldn't find a way to get it here. I've heard that thumpers are really the way to go anyway.

I'm now looking for a new bike, and debating between the WR400 and teh DR-Z400. It seems to me that the WR is the better bike but yamaha prices them very proudly. I am planning to get two bikes: One for me, and one for my girlfriend. My question is this.

What size bike do I get for my second bike?

Reasons to get (2) WR400s

1. Maintenance would be easier w/ two of the same bike.

2. My friends come out to visit, and want to ride. They are about the same weight as me, and wouldn't enjoy a 250 or 300 as much.

3. You can't ever have too much power... Can you?

Reasons to get a smaller bike

1. This will be my girlfriend's first bike, and I don't want her to kill herself on it. She's only 5'9 and 150 lbs.

2. Most of my friends don't really have much experience riding either, so I don't want them to kill themselves either.

What are your suggestions?

• James_Dean

Posted July 06, 2000 - 11:07 AM

-The second bike needs to be electric start.
-Yes, you can have too much power when it comes to a beginner. Make the second bike a 250. Yamaha makes an electric start TTR250 for $1200 less than the WR. You could ride the WR and roost while the second rider will have fun with the push-button and go ride.
James Dean

• Taffy

Posted July 06, 2000 - 11:15 AM

to my mind you can't go wrong with the KLX300R. it's very mild & has soft sussies, has a low seat height, the bike is so easy to ride that riders get great results on them over here in england. they weigh just 115KG.

real easy to kick start & you feel at home on it after 200 yards.

if your girlfriend is a novice rider you'll put her off for life with the WR.

when we first raced & practiced my friend left us all even though he had less power. it's taken us a long time to get the better of him. if he goes nuts he can overtake us but he weighs 16 stone (224LB) & as i've said the suspension is soft.

my two pence worth. Taffy

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 06, 2000 - 12:37 PM

Taffy has my vote w/ the KLX 300. I would stay away from Yamaha's 225. I rode a 2000 model. Maybe I have been around racing bikes and large street bikes too long, but the layout, weight and performance of the 225 I found to be poor. I coundn't find anything appealing about it other than the electric start. But, I AM biased towards racing bikes.
I had delusions of me and my wife flying off of jumps together :) . Now I am hoping just to get her riding (Honda XR100/200). If your girlfriend LIKES to kickover bikes, I'd go w/ the Kawasaki.

99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat, jetting by Clark, got forked by Pro Action.

For clarification: WE'LL be having a KICK ASS time in Moab!! Right Mitch?!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mcarp

Posted July 06, 2000 - 06:40 PM

Ixnay on the WR as the second bike. It is very powerful, and that will land a beginner (male or female) on thier butts quickly! The WR isn't super friendly when going slow, it likes to be pushed a bit. I am still getting used to the power/ergos after about 400 miles on this bike, over 7,000 on a KLR250, and 4,000 miles on a 700 streetbike.

I rode a KLX300 and found it to be god-aweful slow. I swear it had less response than my old 250, but it was stone stock. It did handle well, was a piece of cake to ride, and should be reliable as hell. What about the trusty XR250. You may even have some fun on it!

• Dougie

Posted July 07, 2000 - 02:04 AM

My vote would also go to the KLX300 as your second bike. The WR400 is not for the beginning rider.

I have read nothing but good things about the 300 and am currently contemplating getting my wife one. She presently rides a '91 XR250L which is street leagal and heavy. She would like another XR250 (non street legal). We looked at the TTR250 with the electric start but it was a little too big for her height wise. She is 5'7". The XR250 is a tad smaller.

The KLX300 is also a little big for her but that is compensated for by it's handling which it is a widely known fact that it is the best handling trail bike around today. Plus you can't beat the price. You can get these things for a steal these days. Something like $4200. Plus, I think I would really enjoy riding it also.

But if all you are getting a second bike for is for your girlfriend who is new to riding and your friends who have little experince, I would go with either the XR250, TTR250 or KLX300. Trust me, your friends will enjoy anyone of them (unless you are a track rider).

Welcome to Denver. You will find many of us on this site reside here also. Feel free to join us sometime once you get your bike.

Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics, Renthal bars, 14/52 gearing.

• Nevitt33

Posted July 10, 2000 - 08:21 AM

I appreciate all the comments very much. It seems that the KLX300 may be the winner, but it also seems that what we should do is get he out to a shop now and see how she feels about the kick start vs. electric start. I know it's a brand spankin' new bike, but what do you think about the WR250F that's supposed to be coming out (don't know if it's actually out yet).

Thanks again for your help,

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 10, 2000 - 11:23 AM

I am holding my breath in anticipation of the new WR250.

My wife would clock me over the head if I got her a bike that scared her. Then her new bike would become my bike...whoa, now there is a thought. I think my wife could use a new Honda CR250. I sure she could handle it!! :)

99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat, jetting by Clark, got forked by Pro Action.

For clarification: WE'LL be having a KICK ASS time in Moab!! Right Mitch?!!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.