Jumping potential of a WR450?

15 replies to this topic
  • Darkstang

Posted July 29, 2007 - 06:36 PM

I mostly ride woods and trails but went to a new place today that has A LOT of firebreaks. Nothing new but these were HUGE and a WHOLE LOT OF THEM. I spent as much time in the air as I did on the ground.

We had an impromptu jumping contest with some quads we met on the trail. Coming out of a downhill curve into a good long firebreak with plenty of landing area and stopping room. Since I do not go to MX tracks, seeing quads 5 and 6 feet in the air was pretty neat.
But hey :p :p I am on a dirtbike! Right ? So after full throttle second gear (not enough time to get into third) 37 feet later I was declared the winner:applause: Landed pretty good, they said I was an honest 6-7 feet up. Not record breaking I know, but it was for me:thumbsup:

Some of the firebreaks were straight up and I know I got higher than that, but was going much slower and found the bottom of my suspension several times.

Not wanting to retune it or anything as it is dialed in for 90% of my riding,
But what have you guys done with your WR?

• xrmarty

Posted July 29, 2007 - 08:11 PM

At my heavy size (5'11" at 220lbs) I find my WR on the soft side and does tend to bottom out on anything over 4 feet high.

BTW: What is a fire break??? (a fire road?)

• chrispy1202

Posted August 06, 2007 - 03:33 PM

Water bars where a culvert was removed when a road is deactivated?
Cheers
Chris.

• redswr

Posted August 06, 2007 - 04:16 PM

i've jumped mine around 45ft in the sand dunes and about 6ft off the ground... bottomed out hard.

• Nostalgic

Posted August 06, 2007 - 04:37 PM

I've had mine about a foot off the ground. Don't be jealous, you'll all get to my level soon. (jk, I'm brand new and just "jumped" mine for the first time. Definitely fun having both tires off the ground and landing evenly.

• RJB

Posted August 06, 2007 - 05:47 PM

i've jumped mine around 45ft in the sand dunes and about 6ft off the ground... bottomed out hard.

I haven't been near that far, but front suspenders made a horrible clunk as they bottomed out. It definitely isn't a YZ (not even an 02 YZ426) when it comes to suspension stiffness

• kevinwr450f

Posted August 06, 2007 - 07:42 PM

The suspension comes in REAL handy when doing in excess of 80mph on a dirt road and hitting a huge pothole..... My bike took the impact, as I closed my eyes and braced for the ground, without a problem..... Thank God for soft suspension!!!

• Darkstang

Posted August 06, 2007 - 10:21 PM

I know the WR is soft compared to the YZ. I am sure it is several things together that gives the YZ it's landing ability. My 3 sons and I ride all offroad and no MX. We would really like to try out some local MX tracks but with our suspensions are afraid to. They all have ttr's and I have a WR. My WR handles the landings better than their ttr's, so they are deffiniteley out of the question.

Looks like we may pick up a YZ just for the jumps and just share it. I can not afford to outfit 4 people with 2 bikes and accessories:crazy:

Question is, a smoker or a stroker YZ250?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JaysDirtyRide

Posted August 07, 2007 - 05:16 AM

Hi Folks,

I weigh in at 200lbs w/ gear (I didn't have hydration pack on in this photo...but I was wearing armor under the jacket). The bike was barely a week old from the dealer when this photo was taken.
Posted Image

I did this many, many times and never bottomed out the suspenders...although I believe it was close a few times. I had not changed a thing from the factory settings.

Since this photo...I have "gone bigger" and bottomed the shock and forks several times. I have left the factory setting alone...they seem to work fine for me at this point. I need to replace the spring...I'm too heavy for the stock spring by about 20lbs. or so.

The suspension seems to have softened a bit...I have about 800 miles on the bike.

Have fun!

-Jay

• MSHAM

Posted August 07, 2007 - 06:24 AM

When I'm out paying on jumps I just stiffen the adjustable suspension and it helps. No one has done that?

• jams229

Posted August 07, 2007 - 11:51 AM

The WR still does not like to be jumped, period.
Unless you re-spring and re-valve, it will not be a competent jumper.

• MSHAM

Posted August 07, 2007 - 12:02 PM

The WR still does not like to be jumped, period.
Unless you re-spring and re-valve, it will not be a competent jumper.

whew! Good thing I had mine done last week! Much better ride all the way around. Save your pennies kids this is a must do for your WR!

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 07, 2007 - 01:29 PM

If you plan on catching any significant amount of air and then "flat landing" you are likely going to bottom especially with the suspension in stock form. I re-sprung mine for my weight but did nothing to the valving. I typically set my compression and re-bound clickers for the type of terrain I am riding or racing. Most of our harescrambles and GP's incorporate some MX track and a WR will double and tripple with the best of them if you 1. Have the sack and 2. land on the down track face of the jump(s)..:thumbsup:

http://trav.smugmug....#125269094-L-LB

• redswr

Posted August 08, 2007 - 08:14 AM

If you plan on catching any significant amount of air and then "flat landing" you are likely going to bottom especially with the suspension in stock form. I re-sprung mine for my weight but did nothing to the valving. I typically set my compression and re-bound clickers for the type of terrain I am riding or racing. Most of our harescrambles and GP's incorporate some MX track and a WR will double and tripple with the best of them if you 1. Have the sack and 2. land on the down track face of the jump(s)..:thumbsup:

http://trav.smugmug....#125269094-L-LB

whats your weight and # of clicks? i race GP's also.

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 08, 2007 - 10:03 AM

whats your weight and # of clicks? i race GP's also.

I'm 205lbs, in my 07' I have .48 fork springs 5.6 rear.... I am running 5wt oil in the forks right now. My compression is 7 clicks out from all the way in on both front and rear.

Rebound, I could not tell you I have been adjusting on the fly with out recording... anyway, it all changes depending on the type of course I am still trying to get a good base line that I can work from... last weekend for instance my rear felt rock hard in the roots and rocks at low speed :thumbsdn:

• Roostmeifucan

Posted August 08, 2007 - 10:34 PM

ud be like omg if u seen some of the air i can get on a wr,but i had to fix the front end with more oil

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.