Starting WR's in water

6 replies to this topic
  • ScottyR

Posted July 01, 2000 - 05:01 PM

I know this is a stupid question but I have noticed that my 00 WR400 will not start under any circumstance if it in the water. I have stalled it a couple of times during some water crossings and no way will it start unless I push it out of the water. The water isnt even that deep, just over the footpegs. Once I push it out of the water it will start right away. Are those hoses hanging out under the engine vacuum hoses or something that doesnt let it start when they are covered. Any suggestions to help me waterproof this slug. I am getting kind of pissed with this thing as we are having record rainfalls this year in Ontario and we always have to ride through rivers and streams.

• MotoGreg

Posted July 01, 2000 - 05:06 PM

My bike would stall out every time I went through a water crossing where we ride. I finally traced it to the pink carb vent hoses coming out under the bike. Once I figured that out I started pulling them up out of the water and haven't had a problem since.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 01, 2000 - 05:44 PM

Scott,
Be careful when starting your bike in the water. The large vent hose that comes off the valve cover and runs along your front downtube sucks while starting your bike. You may be sucking water right into your head.

------------------
99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and seat, jetting by Clark, got forked by Pro Action.
AMA, NETRA

For clarification: WE'LL be having a KICK ASS time in Moab!! Right Mitch?!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ScottyR

Posted July 02, 2000 - 05:23 AM

Thanks for the info! Where did you reroute the carb hoses to? Can the vent line coming out of the head be rerouted? Thanks!!

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 02, 2000 - 05:59 AM

I have not re-routed my vent line. I just don't start it anymore submerged in water. Someone on this site installed a PVC valve in his line. There is also a kit available that puts a K&N filter on the line.

Here is something to ponder. On our airboxes, there is what appears a pipe nipple on the front side (facing the carb). The center is NOT hollowed out. It looks peculiar and serves no function. Is it possible this is an unused vent connection for this vent line? The head vent can blow oil after startup, so you wouldn't want engine oil blowing onto your airfilter. Check it out and tell me what you think.

Kevin

------------------
99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and seat, jetting by Clark, got forked by Pro Action.
AMA, NETRA

For clarification: WE'LL be having a KICK ASS time in Moab!! Right Mitch?!!

• MotoGreg

Posted July 02, 2000 - 12:55 PM

Thanks for the info! Where did you reroute the carb hoses to? Can the vent line coming out of the head be rerouted? Thanks!!

I just pull them up from the swingarm and tuck them up out of the way long enough to go through the water and then put them back.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

• Scott_F

Posted July 10, 2000 - 09:13 PM

Apparently the Euro WRs have their vent hose connected there on the airboot. As for the carb vent hoses, it is easy to install T's. With two T's, I now have just one hose going down, and one going up.

Scott F

On our airboxes, there is what appears a pipe nipple on the front side (facing the carb). The center is NOT hollowed out. It looks peculiar and serves no function. Is it possible this is an unused vent connection for this vent line?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.