My 2008 Yz 450f Review

340 replies to this topic
  • matts06yzf

Posted August 31, 2007 - 08:23 AM

GA426owner, i think you and me are facing the same problem. I can't seem to decide if i want kawi or yami for 08, and even still waiting to see what honda has to offer with this stabilizer and possible new frame. The more i read, the more i want to test them all to be certain. Buying a new bike these days gets more and more confusing as the manufacturers are all producing good bikes.

Im with you

• MxWFO

Posted August 31, 2007 - 08:52 AM

I would have to agree they are all producing great bikes these days. My choice to switch from Honda to Yamaha was mostly based on Contingency in my area. If you race a lot this may be worth looking into. See which brand offers the most support in your area.

• djtroy

Posted August 31, 2007 - 07:23 PM

I have made some serious changes to the 08. I wil keep you posted as to what I think of the bike now.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=547211

• al711

Posted August 31, 2007 - 08:05 PM

Guys I love mine!! It handles much better than my 06 yz250f with the 27mm offset clamps. At my riding level(novice to intermediate) it was plenty fast but not too fast. Horsepower is relatively easy to come by, handling is not. I would recommend this bike to anyone that can't decide between a big bore 250 or a 450.

• cnorton

Posted September 01, 2007 - 09:42 PM

How much more power do people want out of these 450's, I just came off an 05 RMZ450, had boyesen quick shot an a yosh slip on, had great low end power, but didn't have the right power for me. I bought a new 07 YZ450 yesterday and rode it at a local track for break in today, all I can say is I'll never alter this bike from stock, it has an awesome engine, smooth hard pull, isnt that's why they started making competitive 4 strokes in the first place, other than emissions, to be able to ride easier and and not get tuckered out late in a moto. I really like the power this bike puts out stock, I'm no pro nor am I a begginer and have had a lot of different bikes, I just find it hard to beleive all the bad reviews these yamahas are getting, I think my bike is awesome and have only ridden it one day, cant wait to race it next weekend.

• MxWFO

Posted September 02, 2007 - 04:54 PM

I have to agree. I can't believe all the bad reviews the new Yamaha is getting either. I just got mine last weekend and raced it for the first time today. The only thing I've done to my bike so far is change out the levers, because last weekend while breaking it in I broke one. Hey it's not officially broke in until you breack something. Other than adjusting the clickers to my liking I have done nothing to the bike. I am coming off Honda's, and before that I rode Suzuki's forever. Just to give you some background. Anyway I felt so comfortable I decided to run the Open Pro class, which I haven't done in awhile. I was surprised had how long I could ride the new bike wide open. It handled like a dream, and had plenty of power. I had no problem running against everyone with their hopped up bikes. The new 08 in my opinion is very fast, and has the handling capabilities to let you hang it out. It inspired a lot of confidence. I left the track today very satisified with the bike and not to mention some money in the pocketbook.

• torque_demon

Posted September 04, 2007 - 07:37 AM

I just bought a new '08 model yesterday and have it at the pro suspension shop (Devol) adding the works. I agree that some one who is not racing would have ne real benefit to buying an '08 vs an '07. I bought the '08 because I am racing and you can only collect factory contingency money from bikes that are younger than 2.5 years old. I'll be getting this dialed in the first year and hope to win money into 2009.

The other very important reason to buy the '08 is the claimed correction of corning restrictions the '07 and '06 had. Being new to racing I need to eliminate all the excuses so I can focus on the work I really need to do to become a successful rider. Cornering is absolutely fundamental and critical to racing. If you think about lap time management few things are more important. There is two opportunities to be faster with better corning #1 cornering faster and #2 not crashing in corners. If you can corner harder the low end is less important because you're not going to need it if your momentum is already high.

As far as low end power goes elsewhere I agree with the WFO comment for now. Any racer is going to need sprocket changes and jetting any way, so the stock aspects of the low end are moot from that standpoint. If you're not racing and are riding the stock bike then take step back and look at what's important.

The White/Black/Red '08 is as sick as it gets on looks once you add a few red anodized parts like levers, hubs and a tripple clamp. I just hope I don't look like a spoiled child riding such a cool bike. I earned every penny I paid for it so I'm going to take no prisoners on the track.

Just my thinking... I look foward to testing this bike when the suspension is finished this weekend.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
R.C. "The harder you work the luckier you get":ride:

• torque_demon

Posted September 04, 2007 - 07:42 AM

have you guys played with the fuel much? (U4.2, R110, Outlaw) What's working?

• djtroy

Posted September 04, 2007 - 08:48 AM

have you guys played with the fuel much? (U4.2, R110, Outlaw) What's working?

I used u4.2 this weekend and the bike worked great. i dont know what difference just the fuel made because I made so many changes at one time. But I love the bike now. I will get more in detail in my other post.

• torque_demon

Posted September 04, 2007 - 03:45 PM

U4.2. I plan to run 50/50 - 110/pump fuel. I noticed my old YZ250F would not handle straight pump fuel without a fuss with the stock jetting.

I don't plan to change the jets right away. I had the guy at the shop check the bike with the 50/50 mix I usually use before they sent it to the shop for the new suspension and haven't heard back from him yet. they told me they'd use one of the stock nozzels to match the fuel if it didn't sound right. i think the extra oxygen in the U4 would have really worked with my old 250 on the stock setting because that thing was way too lean off the show room floor. The 250 would Bog and backfire after 3 laps. i put the richer jet in and it worked like a charm. however, it was a pain restarting the bike after a stall until i switched my fuel. Can't wait to test this 450 out. I'm a little worried about the jump between the 250 and 450 for cornering and jumps.the CG (Center of gravity) may be very different from my '06 YZ250F. have you noticed any big differences between your 250 to 450 experiences on jumps and corners?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CRF250dude26

Posted September 04, 2007 - 03:59 PM

U4.2. I plan to run 50/50 - 110/pump fuel. I noticed my old YZ250F would not handle straight pump fuel without a fuss with the stock jetting.

I don't plan to change the jets right away. I had the guy at the shop check the bike with the 50/50 mix I usually use before they sent it to the shop for the new suspension and haven't heard back from him yet. they told me they'd use one of the stock nozzels to match the fuel if it didn't sound right. i think the extra oxygen in the U4 would have really worked with my old 250 on the stock setting because that thing was way too lean off the show room floor. The 250 would Bog and backfire after 3 laps. i put the richer jet in and it worked like a charm. however, it was a pain restarting the bike after a stall until i switched my fuel. Can't wait to test this 450 out. I'm a little worried about the jump between the 250 and 450 for cornering and jumps.the CG (Center of gravity) may be very different from my '06 YZ250F. have you noticed any big differences between your 250 to 450 experiences on jumps and corners?

Beleive it or not the 250F feels more top heavy than the 450, and no I am not lieing. I have rode the 06 250 and 450 back to back and while the 250 will corner better the 450 is less top heavy. The yamaha is the lightest feeling 450 ever, and I have owned the kawi and suk 450 and riden the honda.

• torque_demon

Posted September 04, 2007 - 07:46 PM

So now I'm baffled. I was thinking the diff review in the low end power might be because one of the guys was in the deep south and the other up North in Canada but the other canook seemed to agree with the southern guy so I don't know what to expect this Friday.

Possibilities:
1. There are 3 pilot jets that come with the bike. Do you guys have the same one installed?
2. What fuel are the two of you running?
3. How much do each of you weigh? (Could the loading on the engine cause a different low end response?)
4. Did the 2006 bike you had tuned before have a set of tires specified for your track? Maybe you're losing pull on the traction and the weaker sound of the pipe makes the overall fealing slow.
5. The suspension could effect the traction I suppose as well.
6. Did the guy with the wrench make something too tight?

Maybe a combination of these things could be causing the different review. I hope mine is one of the fast ones! :thumbsup:

• torque_demon

Posted September 04, 2007 - 07:48 PM

I also plan to go with a ti-4 when they become available. Was langston running a white brothers exhaust last race?

• torque_demon

Posted September 04, 2007 - 08:10 PM

Ok, I think we've made an excellent choice with the '08. I Just watched the Delmont Race and Langston took 1st over all on the new bike. The apparent improvents in his riding are clearly related to the changes made to the 08's new found cornering dominance. He did this with several slow down mishaps as well. I think this years YZ450 is going to be a winner if Langston can keep the riding clean. The 07 bikes poor cornering ability was holding him back.

So I got a good look at that pipe he's running with. It's not even close to stock. looks like White brothers or maybe even a custom machined pipe. I'd love to see the dyno data they've been running on the different pipes and jetting mixtures.

• racerxx276

Posted September 05, 2007 - 07:25 AM

Pleezzzzz,

Langstons bike is nothing like the one you and I will ever ride on...
the frame might be the same ( maybe) but not much else, perhaps its that million $ bonus for winning the title that helping his riding?

• grayracer513

Posted September 05, 2007 - 07:44 AM

the frame might be the same ( maybe) but not much else, ...

Amen to that. The rules do say that after the first year of a new model intro, the frame has to be a production part. I'll bet it doesn't have stock clamps on it, and you know the suspension has been thoroughly worked over. Having seen the days of the works MX bikes go by, it's actually impressive how near stock the bikes are, and how well you can actually do on a stocker, but still....

• adamdf

Posted September 05, 2007 - 07:46 AM

Pleezzzzz,

the frame might be the same ( maybe) but not much else, perhaps its that million $ bonus for winning the title that helping his riding?

I quite honestly do not care if Langston's motor is the same as the stock one or even if its a darn CRF motor stuck in there. As long as his chassis is stock then that is important. After watching the national at steel city on Speed last night, it was very clear how much easier the Yamaha was to flick around and scrub jumps with than the other bikes. Langston is not known for his flare as much as he is known for being a strong fighter. I would expect to see Windham with all his style throwing that CRF around a bit more than Langston, but it was clear that YZF felt very "125cc light" to Langston. I was impressed.

• MxWFO

Posted September 05, 2007 - 09:00 AM

Speaking of feeling light. I'm not sure if it is or not, but the Yamaha "feels" lighter than my Honda. Even just picking it up off the stand it feels lighter. Maybe just a mental thing, but I'd swear it is lighter.

• grayracer513

Posted September 05, 2007 - 10:19 AM

The light feeling underway is the result of Yamaha's concentration on centralizing the weight around the center of gravity.

If you took a barbell with 20 pounds on each end and picked it up and tried to maneuver around, rotate it, etc., it would feel heavy and unwieldy, especially in turning it a different direction. If you then took the same weights and moved them to the center of the bar, it would be much easier and lighter feeling to move around, even though it isn't really any lighter. That's the principal.

• torque_demon

Posted September 05, 2007 - 10:23 AM

Speaking of pro suspension. I havent even ridden my bike yet and Its in the shop getting a $2K suspension upgrade. I have the Devol pro's putting in the works. I probably should have ridden it before I spent the money but suspension is the one thing I never trust with my life. I'd spend up to 5K but they don't have a package like that and Devol is doing pro suspensions so I'll take it. I also bought a pro metal grill alloy radiator guard and skid plate with wings. I've spent close to $11k so far. I'm racing 2 days a week and riding different tracks 3 to 4 days a week so I have to have stuff that dies hard.

Speaking of totally pro bikes. theres an '06 or '07 YZ250F that was a spare for the Bookoo team for sale in the Seattle Craigs list. It was given to the riders buddy fully intact (pro-circuit factory build). The bike is completely bad @$$!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.