My 2008 Yz 450f Review

340 replies to this topic
  • Masterlink52

Posted August 27, 2007 - 01:43 PM

I also wanted to comment on the elevated prices of new 08 bikes verses 07 models. It’s ill truthfully because each year the fab 4 manufactures Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Honda claim to make all these impact modifications and upgrades but are they really beneficial? My view is each these manufacturers use this as sales gimmicks to generate interested in their new models and also to justify the increased expenses each year. My opinion is while some of the changes are beneficial they are not significant enough to justify the drastic price increases.

Think about it, :thinking: they done this every year with the 2-Smokers and now the 4-Strokers. Fact is 4-Stroke engines are nothing new, been around for many decades, the only difference is today’s 4-Strokers are mere refinements of the old age 4-Strokers. What’s the big deal! Simply design a good strong reliable engine and put a quality workable suspension under it and consumers will buy and be happy. It’s the consumers buying all the aftermarket toys and upgrades that make the bike really hum anyway not the manufactures so called upgrades and mods.

Bottom line is all dirt bikes are way over priced for what they are. Example I was in a Kawasaki dealership last week and viewed a fully loaded 2007 Vulcan street bike with windshield, saddle bags chrome pipes, pearl white/gold paint job shining like a diamond in goats ass selling for around $12.000. There's just not that much technology going into dirt bikes from year to year to justify the mega price increases each year. What are we yah paying for? Plastic isn’t that expensive to manufacture. Fuel injection isn’t new and has been used for years on cars so in the coming years will it be justified adding 2K to the price of a dirt bike? :rant:

• Randy331

Posted August 27, 2007 - 04:48 PM

I also had the 06 yzf 450, it definitely had more grunt off the bottom, then the 08 does. I don't feel the 08 is slower per say, it just has a smoother delivery, so you don't have to be so touchy with the throttle control. It has taken me a few trips to the track to get used to it, and it dosen't feel as exciting, but I'm definitely turning faster laps. I will still probably hook up the DR. D exaust system though. As for handling I don't know what they've changed, but there is a noticeable difference in cornering. The 06 had a huge tendency to want to push from the middle out and I never could really remedy it. The 08 seems to want to roll right over and carve whatever line I put it in. The suspension is a little soft, but I was spoiled on my old bike with the full enzo package including sub-tanks. Shipping the new stuff off this week.

• yamaha246

Posted August 27, 2007 - 05:52 PM

i also have a 06 450 and i got the 08 and was very unhappy with the way it ran so me and my dad were messin around with it and we desided to put my 06 stock pipe on it and it woke it up a lot it runs just as good as my 06 i dont know wat u guys r talkin bout ur 06s not turnin for crap my turns great and im a small kid 120 lbs and it turns as good if not better than my 08 does

• sprx19

Posted August 28, 2007 - 04:14 AM

I also wanted to comment on the elevated prices of new 08 bikes verses 07 models. It’s ill truthfully because each year the fab 4 manufactures Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Honda claim to make all these impact modifications and upgrades but are they really beneficial? My view is each these manufacturers use this as sales gimmicks to generate interested in their new models and also to justify the increased expenses each year. My opinion is while some of the changes are beneficial they are not significant enough to justify the drastic price increases.

Think about it, :thinking: they done this every year with the 2-Smokers and now the 4-Strokers. Fact is 4-Stroke engines are nothing new, been around for many decades, the only difference is today’s 4-Strokers are mere refinements of the old age 4-Strokers. What’s the big deal! Simply design a good strong reliable engine and put a quality workable suspension under it and consumers will buy and be happy. It’s the consumers buying all the aftermarket toys and upgrades that make the bike really hum anyway not the manufactures so called upgrades and mods.

Bottom line is all dirt bikes are way over priced for what they are. Example I was in a Kawasaki dealership last week and viewed a fully loaded 2007 Vulcan street bike with windshield, saddle bags chrome pipes, pearl white/gold paint job shining like a diamond in goats ass selling for around $12.000. There's just not that much technology going into dirt bikes from year to year to justify the mega price increases each year. What are we yah paying for? Plastic isn’t that expensive to manufacture. Fuel injection isn’t new and has been used for years on cars so in the coming years will it be justified adding 2K to the price of a dirt bike? :rant:

You can't compare A Vulcan to a 450F. Windshields, saddle bags etc. are cheap and just bells and whistles. There is more technology in the rear shock of a 450 race bike than an entire Vulcan cruiser. You are paying for the R&D that it took to develope the bike not the parts themselves. As with exhaust pipes, you are paying for the hours of testing and fabrication not the metal that the pipe is made from. Race bikes are incredibily cheap for the amount of technology you are getting.

• djtroy

Posted August 28, 2007 - 06:22 AM

This is all I have to say

Grant Langston = 2007 Outdoor MX champ.
His season has turned around because the 08 is an amazing handling bike. I wish I could ask them what they did to the motor because im sure his bike is fast and hadles good too.
HE RIPS NOW.

• adamdf

Posted August 28, 2007 - 08:30 AM

If you are a serious motocrosser, which is what the YZ450 is designed to be. You probably honestly wouldn't mind the mellow hit off the bottom that the 08 has because if you are doing a 30 minute moto or even just a 15 lap or 10 lap race, the decrease in energy it takes for you to complete the race due to the bike being easier to ride, is a welcomed improvement. Sure you may want to add a pipe to wake it up a bit, but most people do that anyways. For me, the new 08 is supposed to be a superb handling and easy to ride bike, and thats what i love to hear as a person looking to possibly buy one.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 28, 2007 - 12:36 PM

In closing…I suggest buying a Honda! There’s a reason why Honda’s CRF450R has been the best rated 450 since it’s introduction. My 06 and my buddies 07 is bullet proof and super fast off the show room floor, the bike handles great and cold starting is a breeze requiring no more than 3 kicks or less. My bike is 100% stock and best of all zero $’s have been spent on the motor, exhaust, carburetor or suspension. :applause:

no thanks..........
If you understand correctly the the 08 is not a POS....it is still a great bike,,,and to me much better than any 06/07 honda 450. :excuseme:
And if I was to own a honda..I would still find ways of spending $$$$ on it to make it just right for me......no Stock bike is going to be right for me after 5hrs on it.....sorry.

• Masterlink52

Posted August 28, 2007 - 12:50 PM

No offense intended towards anyone reading my “rant” :rant: and none taken from those who respond. I also apologize to the thread as I realize I have drifted off the subject matter, the price of bikes and the lack of certain functional aspects is sore subject with me. :excuseme:

I was not comparing a 450 dirt bike to a Vulcan street bike I was merely expressing in terms of what you get for your money in comparison. Comparisons such as considerably more HP, windshields, saddle bags, turn signals, head/tail lights, lots of chrome, speed/odometer controls, mirrors, plush seat and so on. It goes without saying you get much more in a nice street bike for not a considerable amount more money than that of a new model 450 dirt bike. :blah:

sprx19…I disagree with you in terms of a 450’s rear shock having more technology behind it than an entire Vulcan cruiser. You also need to check prices of street bike accessories. FYI…Windshields $350 & up, Saddle Bags depending on type $700 not including mounting brakets/hardaware. I don’t consider these accessories “cheap”.

sprx19…I also lean to disagree with you in terms of consumers paying for technology thus drastic price increased are warranted. Read the MX magazines…sure various things are tried such as shaving weight, bigger/smaller pistons, larger/smaller valves, different carburetor size/jetting combinations, larger/smaller air-boxes, various fly wheel weights, ignition boxes etc. But the bottom line is the motors seldom change and commonly the manufactures bounce back and forth from year to year with the same exact changes and market them as upgrades. Lets take the Honda 450 Unicam motor for example, it’s the same motor for the past 5 + years so does reducing the size of the valves and increasing the size of the carburetor in 07 justify hundreds or even thousands worth of price increase? Also consider the 07 Kawasaki 450…what is so technolized about adding a 5th gear that the 06 didn’t have and in doing so did it warrant a major price hike? Manufacturers may experiment with fork & shock valving and springs, add some wave brake rotors, change the bends of the fenders or shrouds, change levers or move a hot start perch from one side of the bars to another etc. These are the most common changes from year to year for which none of these changes are so technologically advanced that they warrant major price increases. If these changes were head & shoulders above the previous years models and consumers did not have to shell out additional cash to upgrade their stocker bikes then certainly most would be in favor of paying more but that tends not to be the case, the bikes are nearly as equally competitive from year to year.

Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Honda are deep pocket companies having tons of resources and testing abilities, these companies gain performance data from there test riders as well as the factory riders so by now they each should be able to develop a competitive motor and a functional race ready shock and fork system and install on their production bikes. Each of these manufactures has had more than 30-years to perfect the monshock and age-old fork systems currently used, so what’s their problem, how long does it take?

It’s all about marketing gimmicks cause if consumers are paying for technology then the fab 4 manufactures are holding out because like I said it is all the aftermarket items/parts people put on their bikes that make them sing and not all the so called technology changes/updates that the manufactures toy around with from year to year and transfer the so called R&D expenses onto us consumers. If this were not true companies like Pro Circuit, Yoshimura, Boyseen, JD-Jetting and others would be out of business.

The point I’m pushing is for the price we pay for new dirt bikes there’s no reason why they don’t come good-2-go or race ready off the show room floor without consumers being forced to bust the piggy bank to get them to perform well.

• Huckster

Posted August 28, 2007 - 01:07 PM

A bike that turns better and improves your corner speed will improve your lap times and make you faster than any pipe.

• adamdf

Posted August 28, 2007 - 01:35 PM

Masterlink52, have you ridden any of the 06 or newer YZFs? If so, you would see how much eaiser they are to ride than your CRF and how light they feel. There is so much more to the new YZFs besides their motor, these things are revolutionary in the way they feel and perform. Weak bottom end due to a clogged exhaust may be a downfall to some, but in this class, if your using a 450 for mx, this is the least of your concerns. Even lots of the pros don't run these things to the max, instead many of them are finding ways to have thier 450 put out "useable power" which in turn helps with lower lap times and a less fatigueing ride. I am not saying the 08 can't use a little more bottom (i have not ridden one) but my point is simply this - it really isn't that big of a deal considering the rest of the bike is stellar.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sprx19

Posted August 28, 2007 - 04:04 PM

MASTERLINK > > Well, you have more time than me to write all of that, because I didn't read all of it, but the bottom line is I don't know where you are getting this thousands in price increases. When the 450 honda came out roughly 7 yrs ago I think it was something like 6299$. Retail is now 6999$ for an 07'. Thats about 100$ a yr increase, which to me is reasonable. If it isn't worth the price you don't have buy it. :applause:

• Ga426owner

Posted August 29, 2007 - 06:44 AM

No offense intended towards anyone reading my “rant” :rant: and none taken from those who respond.
The point I’m pushing is for the price we pay for new dirt bikes there’s no reason why they don’t come good-2-go or race ready off the show room floor without consumers being forced to bust the piggy bank to get them to perform well.

no offense taken Masterlink
you are dead on - for the 7500 srp...these bikes should at least come with quality race components.....
at least we are getting decent bars now.....why they dont put a decent chain on any of them is ridiculous

but the aftermkt companies take what the manufacturers make for the masses and design even better race performance parts...so the aftermkt will always be a way of making our bike perform better than stock - :thumbsup:

• MxWFO

Posted August 29, 2007 - 11:43 AM

I just bought an 08 YZ450F this past Sat. This is my first Yamaha and I love this bike. Will I spend money on it to personalize it for my liking? Ofcourse!

While I was waiting on my bike to come in I was reading the posts people were putting on here, since that was the only reviews I could get my hands on. Anyhow here is my 2 cents to what everyone has been saying.

The first thing I notice the day I got it was yes it did feel a bit sluggish on the bottom when I was just rolling around taking it easy. Once I started riding it, I mean really riding it, this bike comes to life. The power was always there, the bike corners like a hot knife through butter, and the suspension does an excellent job in stock form of absorbing the braking and acceleration bumps.

One thing I did that I felt helped the responsiveness off the bottom was adjusted the throttle. I have always liked little to no play in my throttle. When I start moving my wrist I want the power to come on accordingly. Any bike I've ever ridden 2T, 4T, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, KTM to me feels sluggish if there is too much play in the throttle, not to mention you have to turn it a hell of a lot further to get it WFO. So this is your cheapest fix. Try it and please ride slow until you get used to it. If this doesn't work for you try going to a 50 tooth sprocket. Much cheaper than a $400 dollar slip-on exhaust. As far as that goes buy 2 or 3 different sprockets that way you can change them out according to the track layout and conditions. Next ofcourse get a Zip-ty mod, this mod will just help your bike run better period.

Now as to the price of bikes these days. Yeah they are for sure getting higher, but so is the price of gas. It's inflation. But, with that being said bike today are better than they were 4-5 years ago. Will most of us buy aftermarket stuff? Yes, but not necessarily the same stuff. That is the beauty of aftermarket products. One person may want a pipe with more mid, while someone else may want more top or bottom. The factories have to produce a bike that appeals to the masses. Could they sell Factory bikes set up just like Chad's, Bubba's, or Ricky's? Lets just say they could at a reasonable price. Most people couldn't ride them. And, would then be buying aftermarket parts to make them rideable. Well that is all just my opinion.

Oh yeah. I don't know where some of you are buying bikes, but I know of a place in TN that is selling white 2008 Yz450F's for $6395.

• djtroy

Posted August 29, 2007 - 12:01 PM

The 2008 450 had so much play in the throttle, combined with the lackluster bottom end I actually pulled into the pits because I thought it was running out of gas. My buddy yelled at me saying I JUST FILLED IT UP.
We figured out it was the throttle play.
I am getting the quick turn throttle cam to help out the power and my wrist.
http://www.pwccost.c.../g2/g2_ergo.htm

• adamdf

Posted August 29, 2007 - 12:22 PM

I just bought an 08 YZ450F this past Sat. This is my first Yamaha and I love this bike. Will I spend money on it to personalize it for my liking? Ofcourse!

While I was waiting on my bike to come in I was reading the posts people were putting on here, since that was the only reviews I could get my hands on. Anyhow here is my 2 cents to what everyone has been saying.

The first thing I notice the day I got it was yes it did feel a bit sluggish on the bottom when I was just rolling around taking it easy. Once I started riding it, I mean really riding it, this bike comes to life. The power was always there, the bike corners like a hot knife through butter, and the suspension does an excellent job in stock form of absorbing the braking and acceleration bumps.

One thing I did that I felt helped the responsiveness off the bottom was adjusted the throttle. I have always liked little to no play in my throttle. When I start moving my wrist I want the power to come on accordingly. Any bike I've ever ridden 2T, 4T, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, KTM to me feels sluggish if there is too much play in the throttle, not to mention you have to turn it a hell of a lot further to get it WFO. So this is your cheapest fix. Try it and please ride slow until you get used to it. If this doesn't work for you try going to a 50 tooth sprocket. Much cheaper than a $400 dollar slip-on exhaust. As far as that goes buy 2 or 3 different sprockets that way you can change them out according to the track layout and conditions. Next ofcourse get a Zip-ty mod, this mod will just help your bike run better period.

Now as to the price of bikes these days. Yeah they are for sure getting higher, but so is the price of gas. It's inflation. But, with that being said bike today are better than they were 4-5 years ago. Will most of us buy aftermarket stuff? Yes, but not necessarily the same stuff. That is the beauty of aftermarket products. One person may want a pipe with more mid, while someone else may want more top or bottom. The factories have to produce a bike that appeals to the masses. Could they sell Factory bikes set up just like Chad's, Bubba's, or Ricky's? Lets just say they could at a reasonable price. Most people couldn't ride them. And, would then be buying aftermarket parts to make them rideable. Well that is all just my opinion.

Oh yeah. I don't know where some of you are buying bikes, but I know of a place in TN that is selling white 2008 Yz450F's for $6395.

Excellent post with great points. Thanks for yet another review and enjoy the YZF.

• DPW

Posted August 30, 2007 - 04:57 PM

Was toying with the idea the other day of getting one until I got a quote from a local dealer for $7199 plus tax and the rest of the extra charges..

If I could get one out the door for $6400...I would pull the trigger.

Congrats on the new bike!

• MxWFO

Posted August 31, 2007 - 05:29 AM

Might be a bit of a drive out of TX, but check out abernathycycles.com. You will have to call them, since they don't have the 08's on the website. But, when I called them since I was out of state myself they quoted me out the door $6395 for a white 08 YZ450F. They deal in volume and are great people. Good Luck.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 31, 2007 - 05:54 AM

Was toying with the idea the other day of getting one until I got a quote from a local dealer for $7199 plus tax and the rest of the extra charges..

If I could get one out the door for $6400...I would pull the trigger.

Congrats on the new bike!

Gosh dangitt DPW.....now you got me thinkin.....ARGGGGGGGGGGGG

• DPW

Posted August 31, 2007 - 06:00 AM

found this http://www.cyclebuy....yam_mc_dirt.htm

My buddy actually used this report or a similar one to buy him a new Kawasaki street bike...

• adamdf

Posted August 31, 2007 - 06:35 AM

GA426owner, i think you and me are facing the same problem. I can't seem to decide if i want kawi or yami for 08, and even still waiting to see what honda has to offer with this stabilizer and possible new frame. The more i read, the more i want to test them all to be certain. Buying a new bike these days gets more and more confusing as the manufacturers are all producing good bikes.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.