My 2008 Yz 450f Review

340 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted August 24, 2007 - 07:38 PM

He said the reduction in weight of the front brake caliper had a lot to do with it as well.

He said ... the new '08 lighter caliper is a big part of why the '08 turns better.

About Dubach saying that the reduced weight of the caliper being the main reason why the 08 corners better

You see what happens? I'm certain that what was actually said was that the reduction in the unsprung weight was an important element of a complete set of improvements made to the bike, the totality of which resulted in better handling. That's true. But it would not mean that the other improvements made would not have a positive influence on an '06 or '07 if the 200 gram reduction in unsprung weight were not made along with them.

• Butta

Posted August 24, 2007 - 08:03 PM

About Dubach saying that the reduced weight of the caliper being the main reason why the 08 corners better - I am not so sure about that. Langston has been complaining a ton about his bike and now that he has the 08, his results have improved and he seems to have stopped complaining. He even mentioned in a recent video on www.twmx.com that the new bike just corners better. Now my point is this, if all this is because of a lighter caliper, don't you think the factory yamaha team woud have been capable of installing a lighter caliper on his 07 and call it a day? I have to say, i'm with Grayracer on this one. It would take a combination of changes to make a bike noticeablely better, not just one.

Yep, and since Langston is undoubtedly going to benefit from boasting about the new '08 YZ (I want one, don't get me wrong) I can only take what he says as reliable as a Yamaha salesman with everything to gain by making the product look good and nothing to lose if we don't believe him.

• BergArabia

Posted August 24, 2007 - 09:36 PM

Yep, and since Langston is undoubtedly going to benefit from boasting about the new '08 YZ (I want one, don't get me wrong) I can only take what he says as reliable as a Yamaha salesman with everything to gain by making the product look good and nothing to lose if we don't believe him.

You cynic you....
:ride: :thumbsup:

• Huckster

Posted August 25, 2007 - 02:53 AM

Listen, I had the chance to talk to Dubach. I asked him about the 08 vs. 07 and that is what he said about the caliper in reply to whether I could swap out my suspenion. If you know better than him or know that he was just trying to sell me, then great. I was only repeating what he told me and passing it along to try to give some info to guys like myself who are on the fence about buying the 08.

• TD-3

Posted August 25, 2007 - 04:35 AM

I personally hope that everyone is convinced that the 06/07's turn like a turd and need to upgrade to the 08. That way the prices of used 06/07's will fall into my price range (i.e. cheap):busted: At which point I can upgrade my 03, which by the way does turn like a turd, but I love it anyway.:ride:

• Ga426owner

Posted August 25, 2007 - 07:50 AM

Listen, I had the chance to talk to Dubach. I asked him about the 08 vs. 07 and that is what he said about the caliper in reply to whether I could swap out my suspenion. If you know better than him or know that he was just trying to sell me, then great. I was only repeating what he told me and passing it along to try to give some info to guys like myself who are on the fence about buying the 08.

the position of the front axle carrier is totally different than the 06/07 for better turning as well

• grayracer513

Posted August 25, 2007 - 09:28 AM

the position of the front axle carrier is totally different than the 06/07 for better turning as well

So, then, that's where the difference in the trail is, instead of the clamps; the axle lug has been moved back. :cool:

• adamdf

Posted August 25, 2007 - 10:14 AM

So, then, that's where the difference in the trail is, instead of the clamps; the axle lug has been moved back. :cool:

Sort of the same thing the e-axle trys to achieve i would assume? Except the e-axle is adjustable.

• dirtrider04

Posted August 25, 2007 - 10:33 AM

nice..

• djtroy

Posted August 25, 2007 - 03:16 PM

Im a Yamaha salesman. :p

THIS THING HAS NO BOTTOM END POWER. :bonk:

PS I can turn faster laps on this 08 than my powerful 06.

LOL

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 25, 2007 - 04:15 PM

I can turn faster laps on this 08 than my powerful 06.

LOL

That's what I'm talking about. Now massage the engine a little and be thankful for the chassis. :cheers:

• polarbear

Posted August 25, 2007 - 08:00 PM

WOW... I just read all the posts in this thread since my last one. Everyone complains about the low end. Thats all most are worried about. Well here is an interesting fact. Today... and Last week... I rode my crf 450 back to back with my buddies 08 yz 450 and my lap times avg lap times on five laps were the same! My crf has way more bottom then the yz-f. So, I find it real interesting that the lap times were no different. I did notice that I could go longer on the YZ-f then mine cause it has such a smooth power delivery. I do feel like I rocket out of corners faster on my crf, I cant pin point the reasons, but the yzf does make up the difference somewhere else. Its a nice bike, if everyone could stop worrying about the power and start giving some solutions on how to fix it on the 08, it would definitely be a totally awesome bike.
[COLOR="Red"]So, with that said... why don't we get some Ideas as to what exhaust systems or jetting settings have worked the best to liven up the low-end on the 08 yz 450f?[/COLOR]

Grayracer... you seem to have lots of experience/knowledge about this stuff... what do you think?

• grayracer513

Posted August 25, 2007 - 08:48 PM

Maybe, but I don't own an '08, and haven't been able to ride one. There seems to be some disagreement as to whether the engine needs fixing at all, but assuming it does, I would start with a set of cams from an earlier model (there's 3 different sets), any exhaust that works well with an '06-7, the Zip-Ty mod, and possibly an earlier CDI or a Vortex, if the first 3 weren't enough. It shouldn't take much, and I wouldn't try to give it too much low end grunt. It could be counterproductive.

If you want a real shocker, I think you'd be surprised at a second gear rolling start run on the pavement between those same two bikes.

• polarbear

Posted August 25, 2007 - 08:59 PM

Well I liked everything about the bike, if it were mine I would love to add some low to what is already an awesome bike. I think simple after marked exhaust add-on would be enough for me. Which ones improve the low end the best?

• showtime180

Posted August 25, 2007 - 09:52 PM

everyone take advantage of the smooth power the new yamis have for long motos or rides. If you really want more low end, get on the gas earlier and twist faster, that should do it. Until everyone rides WFO on 450s i dont see a reason for more power but thats just my opinion (dont mean to affend anyone).

• alstar250

Posted August 26, 2007 - 09:44 AM

I have ridden the '07 YZ450 - and after coming off of an '05 YZ250, I liked the top end pull of the 4T, to the point that I am going to buy one. My question is this

Is the '08 sooo much better to jusitfy the $1400 price difference??? OTDcyclesports (LA Yamaha) is blowing out '07s for $5700 otd as opposed to $7100 for the '08 - I understand about handling and I think my '05 YZ250 has all the same gremlins as the 4Ts - I ride alot of open desert and sand (Glamis/Dumont) and desert season is here so I won't have the time to wait for the price drop of the '08s next summer -

$1400 is alot of $$$ to save (for me anyways) - Again, is the '08 THAT much better???

• KAS

Posted August 26, 2007 - 11:40 AM

I have ridden the '07 YZ450 - and after coming off of an '05 YZ250, I liked the top end pull of the 4T, to the point that I am going to buy one. My question is this

Is the '08 sooo much better to jusitfy the $1400 price difference??? OTDcyclesports (LA Yamaha) is blowing out '07s for $5700 otd as opposed to $7100 for the '08 - I understand about handling and I think my '05 YZ250 has all the same gremlins as the 4Ts - I ride alot of open desert and sand (Glamis/Dumont) and desert season is here so I won't have the time to wait for the price drop of the '08s next summer -

$1400 is alot of $$$ to save (for me anyways) - Again, is the '08 THAT much better???

$1400 buys a lot of cool stuff for your new bike.

On the other hand, as soon as you roll that new '07 off the floor, it has the same resale as a used, year old '07. Some folks dont care, because they dont trade their bikes off every year. Just something to think about.

I just bought an '07 for $1100 less than what they would sell me an '08 for. I had no trouble deciding. I knew the '07 is a good bike, and $1100 will buy me all my off-road goodies and then some.

• alstar250

Posted August 26, 2007 - 12:38 PM

$1400 buys a lot of cool stuff for your new bike.

On the other hand, as soon as you roll that new '07 off the floor, it has the same resale as a used, year old '07. Some folks dont care, because they dont trade their bikes off every year. Just something to think about.

I just bought an '07 for $1100 less than what they would sell me an '08 for. I had no trouble deciding. I knew the '07 is a good bike, and $1100 will buy me all my off-road goodies and then some.

Thats what I'm thinking...and by the looks of things it seems as if the '08 is going to need a pipe right off the bat anyways, adding another (+/-) $500 into the mix. The 1st thing any bike of mine is going to get is a ZipTy carb mod, jetting, and another tooth in the rear...and if I really regret it then in 2 years I'll get an EFI bike...screw it!

• Yamahafan

Posted August 27, 2007 - 06:48 AM

I ride alot of open desert and sand (Glamis/Dumont) and desert season is here so I won't have the time to wait for the price drop of the '08s next summer

If you don't race MX or do a lot of high speed turning you will be happier with the 2006 or 2007 models which have better straight line stability, but don't turn as well as the 2008. You won't be disappointed with either the 2006 or 2007s. I love my 2006 and won't upgrade until EFI comes out...if then.

• Masterlink52

Posted August 27, 2007 - 12:51 PM

Sorry I’m not a Yamaha owner, after reading this thread not sure I want to be. Sounds as tho the 08 Yamaha 450 motors are arguably a disappointment for some and in need of help.

Don’t know if others feel the same but I personally consider it a shame when a person shells out $6300 ± on a brand new dirt bike and are forced to immediately sink hundreds even thousands on any one of or a combination of the following, carburetor jetting, misc modifications, accelerator pump covers, exhaust pipes just to make the bike perform half way decent. This may also include costly suspension upgrades. :thumbsdn:

It’s pitiful to read this thread and others like it because Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki and yes Honda should be engineering their bikes to perform competitively and assembling their bikes with quality parts leaving consumers (by choice) to improve or modify and not because they “must” just to get the bikes performing well.

In closing…I suggest buying a Honda! There’s a reason why Honda’s CRF450R has been the best rated 450 since it’s introduction. My 06 and my buddies 07 is bullet proof and super fast off the show room floor, the bike handles great and cold starting is a breeze requiring no more than 3 kicks or less. My bike is 100% stock and best of all zero $’s have been spent on the motor, exhaust, carburetor or suspension. :applause:

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.