My 2008 Yz 450f Review

340 replies to this topic
  • DPW

Posted August 13, 2007 - 09:03 AM

Do you have tall seat etc on your 06? most say feel like a half folded knife on a yamaha anyway but I guess I am used to it:excuseme: cant they make a big mans bike damnit

nope just some ProTapers Windham bend and BRP triple clamp(taller bar mounts and a little farther forward)...Guess I am used to it too...

• grayracer513

Posted August 13, 2007 - 03:45 PM

...Guess I am used to it too...

My son is 6'3", and since he grew from about 5'9" to nearly that height on the same YZ250F, he doesn't know it's a problem (ergo, it ain't). It's as natural as a thing gets for him.

• DPW

Posted August 21, 2007 - 08:56 AM

hmmm '08 YZ450F test in Oct issue of MXA...very interesting..kind of confirms the weak power and power robbing muffler..

• SCIENCE

Posted August 21, 2007 - 12:49 PM

You say small and compact? So this is a bad thing for a 6'4 guy huh? With taller bars and tall seat wonder how she will be for us apes. Sounds like the bike I want but will I be roomy enough?

If you are over 6', invest in a Guts Racing tall seat foam, PT EVO Windham bars w/Applied 10mm higher/5mm forward bolt-on clamps(most economical) and you're set. I think I read that YAMI lowered and widened the pegs so no need to get Fastways.

• Rooski

Posted August 21, 2007 - 04:26 PM

With all of the tech. out there today, why the hell should we have to spend $800.00 more dollars on a fargin exhaust system for a 450 to make more power? It seems to me that the 2 most popular bikes, the honda and yami, need the most crap put on them to make them go better. In the last 5 years I have had all 4 brands, but with the zuk and now my '08 kawi, you dont have to do a dad-blasted thing to them to make 'em go fast or corner. Next year is probobly Yamaha for me again, as I love switching brands, so I hope they get their shit together to haul my fat ass around the track. Then again, screw it, I love my new Kawi.

• SCIENCE

Posted August 21, 2007 - 05:06 PM

With all of the tech. out there today, why the hell should we have to spend $800.00 more dollars on a fargin exhaust system for a 450 to make more power?

You don't have to spend a dime. The percentage of TT members (or general riding public) that require (and/or can use) an exhaust system on any of the new 450's is probably < 5%! These bikes jetted/geared & sprung correctly are more machine than most can ever utilize on their best day. I commend Yamaha for their attempt to quiet the bike down. I bet 7 out of 10 of the '08's end up w/aftermarket exhausts and are back to above 100db's. That is a shame.
The OEM's have raised the $ bar for bikes & parts to new highs, and the aftermarket is making a killing on extras that most can't even begin to utilize.

• grayracer513

Posted August 21, 2007 - 05:32 PM

I commend Yamaha for their attempt to quiet the bike down. I bet 7 out of 10 of the '08's end up w/aftermarket exhausts and are back to above 100db's. That is a shame.

While I essentially agree with you, I'm disappointed in the '08 muffler. I was hoping for something on the order of the resonant chamber technology used by Flowmaster and General Motors but all we got was a closed, perforated pipe. Anyone could have done that. I may have to experiment.

• Huckster

Posted August 21, 2007 - 05:34 PM

Motocross is a series of drag races seperated by turns. I bet the majority of guys would improve their lap times if they worried more about the turns then the drag races. It seems like Yamaha has addressed this with the '08 and from what a guy that knows Yamaha's better than most told me, the 08 is worth the upgrade just for the improvements in the way it turns. I may sell my 07 and buy an 08 because of the simple fact that it turns much better.

• grayracer513

Posted August 21, 2007 - 07:46 PM

I bet the majority of guys would improve their lap times if they worried more about the turns then the drag races.

When your corner speed is higher, your speed at the beginning of the straightaway is higher. It's like getting a rolling head start.

• SCIENCE

Posted August 22, 2007 - 05:26 AM

While I essentially agree with you, I'm disappointed in the '08 muffler. I was hoping for something on the order of the resonant chamber technology used by Flowmaster and General Motors but all we got was a closed, perforated pipe. Anyone could have done that. I may have to experiment.

I haven't seen it up close yet, but at least it is an attempt. Stopping by my dealer today as he says he may have one this week.
I know the aftermarket can produce pipes that improve power and lower db's. Look at Everts' bike and the factory bikes in MX1 overseas. (Here we go back to spending $800 on our $7000 motorcycles again) The AMA and local tracks need to start enforcing tighter regs or we won't have anywhere to ride anymore!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga450owner

Posted August 22, 2007 - 05:48 AM

I think the 08 pipe is a flawed attempt by yamaha to give up power for the sake of noise. I also think the people who decide for me and you that the 98 db is too loud need to go to Suches NDakota for a harley road fest.....or to a nascar race.....this is total crap..:mad:

Stupidity and big brother at it's finest :rant:

• SCIENCE

Posted August 22, 2007 - 06:33 AM

I think the 08 pipe is a flawed attempt by yamaha to give up power for the sake of noise. I also think the people who decide for me and you that the 98 db is too loud need to go to Suches NDakota for a harley road fest.....or to a nascar race.....this is total crap..:mad:

Call it what you want, but the evolution of loud four strokes is leading to the closing of many private/public tracks and riding areas. Check out Honey Lake MX in NorCal. Larry Wosick has been served w/$250K in noise fines from one of his recent races. Do any of the 450's need to be faster and louder? Yamaha's design may not be the best, but at least they recognize the problem.
I agree that it is "Big Brother", but our sport doesn't have the "lobby" if you will, to fight the sound issue effectively. As mainstream as SX/MX is becoming, it will still never get the leverage that NASCAR/Drag Racing and even Harley's get. Remember NASCAR comes to an area 1 or 2 weeks a year and is gone. (on top of that the $ it brings to an area dampens the sound concerns) We ride our tracks/riding areas etc all the time and to the neighbors/business' etc the sound has gotten much more offensive w/the evolution of 4T's & loud aftermarket exhaust. Europe has strict db rules and it works fine and the bikes still have plenty of hp. I'd like my kids to have somewhere to ride in the future.

• Huckster

Posted August 22, 2007 - 09:05 AM

Plus no one that I know rides up and down the street in their NASCAR car. I commend Yamaha for taking action. IMHO noise is the #1 problem that this industry is facing and if we do not do more about it, there will be more and more Honey Lakes. Heck, almost every D34 track is under attack by the communities because of this. If we want to be able to ride, we need to understand the issue and work to resolve it and so what if it comes at the cost of a weaker bottom end of 2-3 hp.

• grayracer513

Posted August 22, 2007 - 09:08 AM

I haven't seen it up close yet, but at least it is an attempt. Stopping by my dealer today as he says he may have one this week.

Take a look:

http://www.motocross...F3E7ECC2A3CD20C

I don't think 98db is too loud, either, just as I don't think that going to 90db would satisfy anyone. The plain fact is that people hate motorcycles, and one of the reasons for it is the lack of consideration for anything or anyone that is demonstrated by some of the members of our community. NASCAR drivers don't run their cars down the street, or practice jumping the same pile of dirt for 3 hours in the field behind a housing tract. The sound is just a tangible excuse.

• TooFast

Posted August 22, 2007 - 09:23 AM

I'd like for someone to put an 06 YZ450 OEM exhaust on the 08 YZ450 and see if the bottom end power comes back with the smaller diameter head pipe and less restrictive muffler.....

• djtroy

Posted August 22, 2007 - 11:38 AM

Just rode an '08 YZ-F 450 back-to-back vs. '07 CRF450 @ 4200' altitude...interestingly, the jetting on the YZ at this altitude (clear day, low relative humidity) was spot on....As the bike broke in, I could start to draw some comparisons: The yamaha has a small, almost compact feel (and I'm only 5'8''/165#) to it and would turn underneath anything on the track. Incredible front-end stick, doesn't want to stand up in the ruts, etc...I would have to say it rivals the Suzuki in turning prowess. The suspension has a firm, well damped feel to it, but still too green to make any final judgments...definitely equal, if not better than the Honda, especially on rough corner exits. Brakes are awesome, with great feel, and the clutch is light with superb modulation. Trans shifted quite stiffly, I'm hoping that will improve with time (as is usually the case with Yamaha).
Now the power: The Honda initially felt faster, especially in the lower mid-range...As the day wore on and several of us switched off riding the 2 bikes, it became apparent the Yamaha and the Honda were dead even in the amount of power from the upper-midrange to the rev-limiter (both with stock exhausts). However, at the very bottom, the Yamaha has just a bit more, then it is flat for a bit, then pulls hard with a nice hit. I love that hit, as it allows me to turn with the rear wheel and pivot out of corners. The Honda's power is more linear, very smooth, but no hit, (IMO) which I crave. I actually use LESS clutch with the Yamaha as I tend to run a gear high, then use the clutch to pivot out of the turns. The power characteristics really reminds me of a 2-stroke YZ 250, about '01 or '02. So, in summation, I personally liked the bike, it fits me and my riding style well, so I am picking one up next week.
As for the pipe, I'm leaving it on, because they can't hear me coming!

Its amazing to me how some people think this bike has good low end power and hit. This bike has NO HIT at all. The power is so smooth and lacking, its the furthest thing from having a hit.

To address the guy that says 5% of the people on here can use 100% of the power is not right. If the bike is slow its slow. If I turn the throttle wide open and think to mysef I wish this was faster then I would say im using 100% of the power at that moment.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 22, 2007 - 11:52 AM

Call it what you want, but the evolution of loud four strokes is leading to the closing of many private/public tracks and riding areas. Check out Honey Lake MX in NorCal. Larry Wosick has been served w/$250K in noise fines from one of his recent races. Do any of the 450's need to be faster and louder? Yamaha's design may not be the best, but at least they recognize the problem.
I agree that it is "Big Brother", but our sport doesn't have the "lobby" if you will, to fight the sound issue effectively. As mainstream as SX/MX is becoming, it will still never get the leverage that NASCAR/Drag Racing and even Harley's get. Remember NASCAR comes to an area 1 or 2 weeks a year and is gone. (on top of that the $ it brings to an area dampens the sound concerns) We ride our tracks/riding areas etc all the time and to the neighbors/business' etc the sound has gotten much more offensive w/the evolution of 4T's & loud aftermarket exhaust. Europe has strict db rules and it works fine and the bikes still have plenty of hp. I'd like my kids to have somewhere to ride in the future.

i hear ya loud and clear:applause:
....but the reason these places are getting fines and shut down is because developers are putting homes and businesses closer to these tracks and riding areas....eventually they will all be shut down due to populations living in to close proximity to tracks....unfortunate but true...:cry:

sorry to hijack thread ...

• meyermetal

Posted August 22, 2007 - 12:01 PM

Maybe this is the whats instore for all of us down the road...at least for MX

http://www.wirmx.com/picsvideos.htm :thinking:

• Ga426owner

Posted August 22, 2007 - 12:12 PM

not a bad idea.....indoor SX/MX.....
weather is never a problem
24hr operation
cool it down with AC
heat it up with heaters
ventilate the exhaust out
bring a set of ear plugs....it probably echos like a biach

• sejoha

Posted August 23, 2007 - 01:11 PM

take a look at www.twobros.com

http://www.twobros.c...a-YZF450_SO.pdf

There you will find a dyno chart comparing the YZ450 stock with the TB full system. If this is correct the stock "can" is for sure the reason for the mellow low end power.:prof:
There is a huge difference in the power output between 4k-6.5k.
At 5k the TB system delivers + 7Hp :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Not sure about the noice level though.....

You can also find dyno charts for the 2006 model and these confirms that this year the Yamaha 450 had quite an engine.......

http://www.twobros.c...a-YZF450_SO.pdf

Still considering a -08 though...........:busted:

AJ

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.