My 2008 Yz 450f Review

340 replies to this topic
  • GENE426

Posted August 10, 2007 - 10:59 AM

How does that new exhaust work??????????

• Ga426owner

Posted August 10, 2007 - 11:01 AM

Kyle great footage Bud! I love that track. Bithlo has a long history.
I think Yamaha went way to radical on the smoothness factor for 08. We are all use to harder hitting bikes from the 80s, 90s and up to 2006/7. Some Marketing jack@$$ and the AMA has decided we must have tamer bikes...
The 08 is a handling killer but made for the virgin newby mxer IMO. Work and money will need to be done to it to recreate the harder hitting "corner blasting" bikes some of us are used to....I would have a new pipe on order from WB if I was going to buy it hands down.....as well as a 1tooth larger rear sprocket and chain. :thumbsup: After a few mods it will be fantastic....and dependable. :thumbsup:
Instead I will keep my 06 as it is perfect for me....but at a hell of a cost, not including the bling factor.....soon to be seen:thumbsup:

• matts06yzf

Posted August 10, 2007 - 11:09 AM

ohhh nooooooooooo the more I read the kawasaki forums the more people I see from here wanting to go that way. I will probably see yall there or maybe even on the red forum. I want ass............from my bike

• Ga426owner

Posted August 10, 2007 - 11:12 AM

ohhh nooooooooooo the more I read the kawasaki forums the more people I see from here wanting to go that way. I will probably see yall there or maybe even on the red forum. I want ass............from my bike

I hear ya Matt....just remember they also have their own sets of issues pro/cons

Kawis have the power and handling...but components seem to fall apart more & wear faster

and Honda......well what else can you say...........:blah:

• matts06yzf

Posted August 10, 2007 - 11:33 AM

I hear ya Matt....just remember they also have their own sets of issues pro/cons

Kawis have the power and handling...but components seem to fall apart more & wear faster

and Honda......well what else can you say...........:blah:

Only reason I would go honda is because my good friend owns our honda and suzuki dealership. I dont have a decent yamaha dealership around. But damnit I want to stay yamaha but the more I read on 08 the more I think...Just like you GA what would you buy if you where in market for a 08?

• Ga426owner

Posted August 10, 2007 - 11:50 AM

Only reason I would go honda is because my good friend owns our honda and suzuki dealership. I dont have a decent yamaha dealership around. But damnit I want to stay yamaha but the more I read on 08 the more I think...Just like you GA what would you buy if you where in market for a 08?

I will answer this when all the 08s come out....I have been a loyal yami owner for a long friggin time....sometimes change is good sometimes it is not...fortunately every bike for 08....is good with each one having its own sets of issues that have to be resolved....remember the "A" women example...there ain't no perfect package :excuseme:
...for bikes and for women....they all have issues...it just may take a little while to notice them and try to fix them.....a then sometimes they can't be fixed....you just deal with it...:mad:

But remember what I told you...my 06 is good for me until the 09s come out....until then...I look forward to when I get the chance to ride a 08 this or that :thumbsup:

But that 2008 KX500 from Service Honda ....... sure looks like a real mans bike....anyone catch that yet??

• matts06yzf

Posted August 10, 2007 - 11:52 AM

I am going to wait on the new generation Harley MX screw it:censored:

• Ga426owner

Posted August 10, 2007 - 11:54 AM

I am going to wait on the new generation Harley MX screw it:censored:

yea that will sure cause a new line of what why and when oil threads.......:mad:

• matts06yzf

Posted August 10, 2007 - 12:10 PM

yea that will sure cause a new line of what why and when oil threads.......:mad:

Bet it will turn, and the header wont glo, and if you let it warm up for 6 mins it wont boil over:busted:

• grayracer513

Posted August 10, 2007 - 01:16 PM

You guys stop for a second and consider: Handling is more important than power, and harder to get when it's not there. Engines are easy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted August 10, 2007 - 07:04 PM

You guys stop for a second and consider: Handling is more important than power, and harder to get when it's not there. Engines are easy.

this is the point I am eluding to...with the 08 yami you have a great handling bike...send the motor to RHC and there is nothing that can out run you. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• DPW

Posted August 10, 2007 - 07:13 PM

this is the point I am eluding to...with the 08 yami you have a great handling bike...send the motor to RHC and there is nothing that can out run you. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

stop...now you guys are confusing me...:rant: :rant:

Maybe I'll just keep the '06 for another year. Honestly I would probably like the smoothy '08 YZF...

I need to ride one maybe tomorrow....

• pace

Posted August 10, 2007 - 08:37 PM

I rode my buddy's '08 on Thursday. I have been riding an '06 for about a year. I couldn't objectively compare handling, because my bike is running a steering damper and my seat is cut way down (I'm short) and as such I didn't feel comfortable on his bike. However, the power delivery took me by complete surprise. It couldn't be more different from the '06. It is soft off the bottom, and then transitions into a brutal midrange hit, before signing off earlier than the '06. My 2006 has a much more linear delivery, with more off-idle grunt and a little more overrev. His suspension felt stiffer than mine, but since the bike only has a couple of hours on it, I suspect it has yet to break in.

Anyway, I wouldn't say that the '08 power delivery is better or worse than my '06. Just way different. It strikes me as a short-shift motor that will also require some clutching out of turns for maximum thrust.

Just my 2c.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 11, 2007 - 05:53 AM

stop...now you guys are confusing me...:rant: :rant:

Maybe I'll just keep the '06 for another year. Honestly I would probably like the smoothy '08 YZF...

I need to ride one maybe tomorrow....

I agree - sorry to confuse you buddy

• AZcrRider

Posted August 11, 2007 - 06:11 AM

My riding buddy likes his 08' 100% better after putting on a white bros. exhaust. I rode it as well, and it really woke the bottom end up - very similiar to my 07' now, but the mid on his 08' is a little better.

The suspension is breaking in nice, too, and the front end is calming down.

It definitely handles a smidge better than the 07', and feels a bit lighter, and like above posts stated - motor fixes are usually easier than suspension/handling issues.

I would recommend a new exhaust ( even just a slip on would do it), set your race sag, replace the stock chain, fine tune the rest for you, and ride happily ever after.

• motoruud42

Posted August 12, 2007 - 05:10 PM

Just rode an '08 YZ-F 450 back-to-back vs. '07 CRF450 @ 4200' altitude...interestingly, the jetting on the YZ at this altitude (clear day, low relative humidity) was spot on....As the bike broke in, I could start to draw some comparisons: The yamaha has a small, almost compact feel (and I'm only 5'8''/165#) to it and would turn underneath anything on the track. Incredible front-end stick, doesn't want to stand up in the ruts, etc...I would have to say it rivals the Suzuki in turning prowess. The suspension has a firm, well damped feel to it, but still too green to make any final judgments...definitely equal, if not better than the Honda, especially on rough corner exits. Brakes are awesome, with great feel, and the clutch is light with superb modulation. Trans shifted quite stiffly, I'm hoping that will improve with time (as is usually the case with Yamaha).
Now the power: The Honda initially felt faster, especially in the lower mid-range...As the day wore on and several of us switched off riding the 2 bikes, it became apparent the Yamaha and the Honda were dead even in the amount of power from the upper-midrange to the rev-limiter (both with stock exhausts). However, at the very bottom, the Yamaha has just a bit more, then it is flat for a bit, then pulls hard with a nice hit. I love that hit, as it allows me to turn with the rear wheel and pivot out of corners. The Honda's power is more linear, very smooth, but no hit, (IMO) which I crave. I actually use LESS clutch with the Yamaha as I tend to run a gear high, then use the clutch to pivot out of the turns. The power characteristics really reminds me of a 2-stroke YZ 250, about '01 or '02. So, in summation, I personally liked the bike, it fits me and my riding style well, so I am picking one up next week.
As for the pipe, I'm leaving it on, because they can't hear me coming!

• adamdf

Posted August 13, 2007 - 08:11 AM

POST OF THE CENTURY!! Thanks Gray, i totally agree. I am not concerned with the motors on any of the 450s, just which one handles better. They all can be made to go fast easily but bad chassis design will bite you over and over again. Seems like the 08 has some good compliments coming its way with regards to cornering. And to me, if there was something to improve in order to have it be near perfect then that was it.

• matts06yzf

Posted August 13, 2007 - 08:43 AM

Just rode an '08 YZ-F 450 back-to-back vs. '07 CRF450 @ 4200' altitude...interestingly, the jetting on the YZ at this altitude (clear day, low relative humidity) was spot on....As the bike broke in, I could start to draw some comparisons: The yamaha has a small, almost compact feel (and I'm only 5'8''/165#) to it and would turn underneath anything on the track. Incredible front-end stick, doesn't want to stand up in the ruts, etc...I would have to say it rivals the Suzuki in turning prowess. The suspension has a firm, well damped feel to it, but still too green to make any final judgments...definitely equal, if not better than the Honda, especially on rough corner exits. Brakes are awesome, with great feel, and the clutch is light with superb modulation. Trans shifted quite stiffly, I'm hoping that will improve with time (as is usually the case with Yamaha).
Now the power: The Honda initially felt faster, especially in the lower mid-range...As the day wore on and several of us switched off riding the 2 bikes, it became apparent the Yamaha and the Honda were dead even in the amount of power from the upper-midrange to the rev-limiter (both with stock exhausts). However, at the very bottom, the Yamaha has just a bit more, then it is flat for a bit, then pulls hard with a nice hit. I love that hit, as it allows me to turn with the rear wheel and pivot out of corners. The Honda's power is more linear, very smooth, but no hit, (IMO) which I crave. I actually use LESS clutch with the Yamaha as I tend to run a gear high, then use the clutch to pivot out of the turns. The power characteristics really reminds me of a 2-stroke YZ 250, about '01 or '02. So, in summation, I personally liked the bike, it fits me and my riding style well, so I am picking one up next week.
As for the pipe, I'm leaving it on, because they can't hear me coming!

You say small and compact? So this is a bad thing for a 6'4 guy huh? With taller bars and tall seat wonder how she will be for us apes. Sounds like the bike I want but will I be roomy enough?

• DPW

Posted August 13, 2007 - 08:49 AM

You say small and compact? So this is a bad thing for a 6'4 guy huh? With taller bars and tall seat wonder how she will be for us apes. Sounds like the bike I want but will I be roomy enough?

Matt, you have an '06 YZ450F currently right? I rode an '08 this past weekend and I really liked it...as much as I could in three laps. The dimensions felt about the same as my '06. I liked the stock exhaust tone a lot too.

I'm 6'3...

• matts06yzf

Posted August 13, 2007 - 08:55 AM

Matt, you have an '06 YZ450F currently right? I rode an '08 this past weekend and I really liked it...as much as I could in three laps. The dimensions felt about the same as my '06. I liked the stock exhaust tone a lot too.

I'm 6'3...

Do you have tall seat etc on your 06? most say feel like a half folded knife on a yamaha anyway but I guess I am used to it:excuseme: cant they make a big mans bike damnit

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.