My 2008 Yz 450f Review

340 replies to this topic
  • todds924

Posted September 28, 2007 - 06:24 PM

The part number has been changed on the oil filters. Same filter though, just a different number.

• smithjeb

Posted September 28, 2007 - 06:51 PM

Rode my new 08 tonight, will post a more thorough review when I have time. Right now all I can say is it rocks...

• djtroy

Posted September 28, 2007 - 08:05 PM

Remeber this bike is factory is 160 main not 165 like 06 so 170 is a major change. DR D said 162 main, factory pilot, and 4th clip. 170 seems overboard remeber this is not 06, they changed the motor causing jetting to be different. Yes i realize race gas is different but have you tried a 165 or 162 with stock pilot or bumped pilot up just one size, you went way up

I went up in increments but it didnt seem to really make a difference for me. I am also running a Yoshimura header and exhaust system. Its seemed to be ok with the 170 but its not like I would notice the difference between a 165 and a 170. It just ran like crap until it got richened up. I was just trying to get it to run better so I went up to a 170 main.
Did DR D tell you that a 170 was too much? Im sure he didnt say that. I was trying jetting on my own because like I said, no one knew what worked when I was doing this stuff a month ago.
But now that you guys have some jetting advice for me I will try different things.

• djtroy

Posted September 28, 2007 - 08:21 PM

Holy Crapoli Batman! I put a quick turn throttle cam on my bike the night before a race and did a soft practice lap before the race to discover some outstanding pullon the uphill and straight aways. So first day of riding with the throttle cam... I pull up to the starting line on my cool new white black grey red with red anodized extras all over the YZ450 and this jerk kid standing next to the fence says, "Cool bike! Don't wreck!" So I'm doing my usaul clutch slip front brake loading in second gear waiting for the pin to disengage on my neighbors gate and shizaam it drops, I drop my clutch and twist while releasing the front break (I was waaaaay over the handle bars expecting some extra torque) got lazy and completely let my clutch go... low and behold, I'm gooning down the straight away with my chin practically touching the front fender to keep the front end down realizing I made a dreadful misjudgment on how much throttle I just hit the motor with... I flew off the bike and watched my bike head for the hole shot without me as my rearend bounces down the tarmac... That bike straight up takes off with a throttle cam. Any way, needless to say I got a crapy start the next time around because I was skidish about how much throttle to apply... but it made up for itself as I was able to stay on the throttle with very little effort after arm pump saturated my veins. Once I get used to that 1/4 turn throttle cam I'm confident I can roll to victory. First race on my 08 450... dead last 1st moto due to crash and 7th over all due to a lot of make up in the 2nd moto (and thats with being last through the hole 2nd moto).

I didnt notice this much of a difference on my bike as far as how the power felt. I did notice how much easier it was without having my elbow pointed to the ground when I was wide open. Its much easier to go wide open on uphill step up jumps now thats for sure. The G2 throttle tube I got was the pro version that takes out 10% of the turn. I have been thinking about getting the 20% cam for it.

• matts06yzf

Posted September 29, 2007 - 04:34 PM

I went up in increments but it didnt seem to really make a difference for me. I am also running a Yoshimura header and exhaust system. Its seemed to be ok with the 170 but its not like I would notice the difference between a 165 and a 170. It just ran like crap until it got richened up. I was just trying to get it to run better so I went up to a 170 main.
Did DR D tell you that a 170 was too much? Im sure he didnt say that. I was trying jetting on my own because like I said, no one knew what worked when I was doing this stuff a month ago.
But now that you guys have some jetting advice for me I will try different things.

And YES he did tell me that. But Im sure he isnt running yoshi stuff either. I am just saying that is high for any exhaust on this bike, Like gray said they tolerate it.

• YZF831

Posted September 30, 2007 - 07:12 AM

Ok, I'll add to the mix. I rode my 08 450 for the first time yesterday and I wasn't sure what to expect after reading all the mixed reviews about it. Let's just say nothing put a bigger smile on my face after the first ride. A little background, I am an "A" rider. About 50/50 between motocross and supercross tracks. I came off an 06 450 which I loved but this 08 is amazing. I could ride longer and harder without getting close to tired and armpump wasn't an issue for the first time in my life. I felt no issue with lack of bottom end. The power is sooo smooth off the bottom which was wonderful in the corners and then once you straightened out the mid to top would hit and it's "see ya later." Yes it was quiet and it "sounds" slow but don't for one second believe that. I was riding with modded Honda's, Zuk's, Kawi's, you name it and nothing had an edge over me. Most of them were my skill level and the ones that were faster than me, well let's just say I could last a whole lot longer than I used to so eventually the pass came on guys that normally keep a few bike lengths on me. Everyone wanted to ride it. It turns like a dream hands down, corners have never been more fun to me. Well that's my honest review so I hope I helped somebody out there. I love my 08 and I hope everyone else does too.:confused:

• djtroy

Posted October 01, 2007 - 08:21 PM

And YES he did tell me that. But Im sure he isnt running yoshi stuff either. I am just saying that is high for any exhaust on this bike, Like gray said they tolerate it.

My buddy thought his was running lean on the VP u4.2 at 165 so he went to a 170 main also. Its hard to tell but to us it didnt feel right at 165 main. Who knows.

• aaronw

Posted October 02, 2007 - 04:02 AM

For my level of riding, I raised my 07 Forks a hair above the 5mm line on the forks and it turns on a rail now... with the slight exception of tight 180 turns that require more body english to get it move the way it i want it to.

• torque_demon

Posted October 02, 2007 - 08:02 PM

Un-fortunately, You can only win contingency money on bikes that are less than 2 years old. :confused: :confused:

• adamdf

Posted October 03, 2007 - 07:19 AM

I didnt notice this much of a difference on my bike as far as how the power felt. I did notice how much easier it was without having my elbow pointed to the ground when I was wide open. Its much easier to go wide open on uphill step up jumps now thats for sure. The G2 throttle tube I got was the pro version that takes out 10% of the turn. I have been thinking about getting the 20% cam for it.

Isn't there a kit that comes with the different cams so you can switch for different tracks etc?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • torque_demon

Posted October 05, 2007 - 12:16 PM

Yes

I bought the quicker turn 050 only. Works great :confused:

• djtroy

Posted October 05, 2007 - 07:08 PM

Isn't there a kit that comes with the different cams so you can switch for different tracks etc?

Not for the "pro' setup

• CRFsean

Posted November 04, 2007 - 08:56 AM

I know im late on this thread, but reading some other articles and I found off of yamaha's website all of the new mods.

Engine and tranny mods being

and this is straight from yamahas web site

-Revised intake port shapes, and revised intake and exhaust cam profiles increase combustion efficiency for improved torque and throttle response in the low- to mid-rpm range.

-Micron-level adjustment of piston external diameter minimizes piston-to-cylinder clearance for reduced vibration and mechanical noise.

-Adjustment of gear backlash between clutch primary gears and balancer gears achieves further mechanical noise reduction.

-A new, larger-diameter titanium exhaust header with revised taper characteristics enhances exhaust efficiency.

-First “punched cone” muffler ever on a production bike allows 35 percent length reduction and 270-gram weight reduction while meeting AMA noise regulations.

so im guessing that like everyone else is saying, a new exhaust, header, proper jetting and an acclerator pump cover will do the trick. you guys got me all scared cause I might be getting one very soon.

• twenty34

Posted November 04, 2007 - 09:42 AM

Overall I would give up a powerful motor for good cornering capabilites because I know someone can help me get this motor working and this bike will be perfect.

I have a slightly different take. For $7K, I'd like to have a bike that doesn't require a significant investment in aftermarket goods and engine enhancements. By 2008, you'd think that most of the top brands would have done better in this area.

• Ga426owner

Posted November 04, 2007 - 04:44 PM

I have a slightly different take. For $7K, I'd like to have a bike that doesn't require a significant investment in aftermarket goods and engine enhancements. By 2008, you'd think that most of the top brands would have done better in this area.

I totally agree - if a 08 was 4999 OTD that is one thing but at 7k and approaching 8 =10k the next couple of years....it just aint right. Why can we not get a bike that only needs suspension work......I guess I am dreaming and I guess I wont be spending 8-10k period for a damn dirt bike

• grayracer513

Posted November 04, 2007 - 05:43 PM

Why wouldn't you want one that didn't need suspension work?

• matts06yzf

Posted November 05, 2007 - 06:37 AM

Thats just not happening ever. If they can come up with a bike that you can dial a factory suspension in for 120 pound rider to say a 300 pound rider then it will cost alot more than 10k:applause:

• Ga426owner

Posted November 05, 2007 - 06:43 AM

I am saying that I wish jap bikes came ready to race.....with the only thing needed being personalized suspension work. It was one thing when you and I bought dirt bikes for 700- 2000 back in the ole days..and it was exceptable to me to spend up to 4000-5000 for the same routine. But now that bikes are at 7000 and approaching the 8000 - 9000 price point, I think that all maufacturers should supply top quality components that truly mandate a race ready platform to start with...bars, chain, skid plates etc.....

• adamdf

Posted November 05, 2007 - 07:26 AM

Just for the sake of arguing. I have a silghtly different take on your slightly different take:p ....You can't knock Yamaha for jumping on the "quiet" bandwagon and trying to provide a quieter bike, with all the riding areas being shutdown today it is good to see that Yamaha is taking it seriously. The only problem a racer will have with the 08, is that very same exhaust, go figure. The truth is, Yamaha could have left the 07 exhaust system on there and had a near perfect bike, but instead they decided to try an break the mold and it bit them, it's not as if the previous exhaust was crap and they kept supplying it to consumers, it's more like they actually thought they were making a positive change. Now if you want to talk about the crappy stock chains, then i can promise you i wont have a "slightly different take" on that one.:worthy:

• grayracer513

Posted November 05, 2007 - 10:32 AM

Thats just not happening ever. If they can come up with a bike that you can dial a factory suspension in for 120 pound rider to say a 300 pound rider then it will cost alot more than 10k:applause:

Don't say never. It's within the scope of current technology to replace metallic springs with air, and to make the sizes of the the air chambers variable, even dynamically variable. It's even with the scope of current technology to have springless, fully active suspension systems (they already exist), although with that one, your price estimate may be closer to the mark. But after seeing it work on Honda's F1 cars, it would be the ultimate, and might even be worth 10K. In fact, it worked so well it was declared illegal.

Just for the sake of arguing. I have a silghtly different take on your slightly different take:p ....You can't knock Yamaha for jumping on the "quiet" bandwagon and trying to provide a quieter bike, with all the riding areas being shutdown today it is good to see that Yamaha is taking it seriously.

I support you in that thought, to a degree at least. But what I do find fault with is, IMO, for what it's worth, their complete failure to find a technology with which to accomplish such a lofty goal without sacrificing so much power, and without using a method that's been used in cheap aftermarket custom mufflers for 50+ years. "Punched Cones"?! Give me a break. :worthy: off

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.