My 2008 Yz 450f Review

340 replies to this topic
  • Huckster

Posted September 26, 2007 - 03:13 PM

anyone do the zipty mod on an 08 yet? It made a huge difference on my 07.

• adamdf

Posted September 26, 2007 - 05:45 PM

Hi guys

I put a FMF 4.1 system with a megabomb header pipe on my 2008 YZF450 and all I can say is wow. Now I have unreal power right from idle but still easy to ride. The throttle is so much snappier when you blip it but the difference on the track is just amazing. You can go a gear higher and roll the throttle on and its all there. Belive me its so different and sooooo much better. The power increase is right through the throttle range but most noticeable from idle to 1/2 throttle where the standard pipe makes the bike lazy.

Did you notice if it was harder to get good traction coming out of the turns with the new exhaust? I know you could always run a gear higher but still curious since one of the things people have been bragging the about on the 08 is the way it gets the power to the ground so efficiently - not something i would personally want to change.

• matts06yzf

Posted September 26, 2007 - 06:04 PM

Did you notice if it was harder to get good traction coming out of the turns with the new exhaust? I know you could always run a gear higher but still curious since one of the things people have been bragging the about on the 08 is the way it gets the power to the ground so efficiently - not something i would personally want to change.

Awesome question. This is what I thought would happen when I changed exhaust as well. I didnt want it to go back like my 06 is I wanted smooth just more hit well I got it. Dr d from my 06 made this thing rip, yet its so smooth. You hear people describe some bikes as power feels "electric" this is it. It just flat hooks up. I cant believe how fast I can exit a corner and be in complete control. GO RIDE ONE. I still have 49 tooth rear sprocket, I have a 50 on its way but now I think 49 is great. Throttle response is great. Im In Love with this bike. My lap times make me smile.

• matts06yzf

Posted September 26, 2007 - 06:08 PM

My brother in Law has a 06 yz450 also. He is a small guy and has always bitched that the bike is to much. So he has been in market for a 250 until he rode my 08. It sold its self in 2 laps. I cant get over how, much faster I am on this bike. I still love my 06 tho she is a blast and is staying with me.:thumbsup:

• adamdf

Posted September 26, 2007 - 06:34 PM

matts06yzf, i got your pm. Thanks for the response man, that is exactly the response i was hoping for, excellent.

• matts06yzf

Posted September 26, 2007 - 06:40 PM

I think this bike is perfect for guys moving from 250 to 450, its so smmoth but has a ton of useable power. I get it now, I was so scraed to buy 08 because people said it was slow, its not slow. I dragged my 06 on the pavement it pulled the 06 not by much but did pull. I finally understand.

Do you guys think the 120 rear is helping with the traction any or not really?

• adamdf

Posted September 26, 2007 - 06:47 PM

When i do decide to move to the 450, i will be coming off a 06 YZ250F, i owned a CRF450 back in 2003 and it really was a disadvantage on tighter courses but now that things have improved significantly i am going to be giving the big dawgs a try for 08. I have to be honest that i have not decided which brand yet, it is a very hard decision to make but as i have said many times before on this forum, all the bikes are just that good! And that's a great thing.

• nzvetmxer

Posted September 26, 2007 - 09:43 PM

Hi Adamdf

AS to your question whether the YZF450 still had traction with the FMF on it, Yes it does, I dopped my lap times by by an average of 2.4 seconds on my practise track and maintained that each lap. I swapped back to the original pipe and back and forth 6 times and each time I got better lap times.

I also felt with the better when coming out of a corner and straight into a rough whoop section as the power came on strong and would build quicker even if I was a gear higher, which would then keep me on top of the whoops. With the stock pipe I couldnt do this.

I also rode the 2008 KXF450 and in stock form it was quite a bit quicker in the lower rpm range when the YZF was in stock form but when we changed the pipe back to the FMF then the YZF was faster. I do run Pirellis front and rear (Scorpion Mid Softs as its spring down here now and I run Pirelli Scorpion Mid Hard 454 in the summer) They hook up real well. Hope that helps. Rgs Paul

• live4speed

Posted September 26, 2007 - 10:52 PM

my 2006 was jetted horrible too! when i got the bike it took at least 20 kicks to start, popped like hell on decel, and didnt really gallop like it should...after i rejetted it (with everything still stock 170m 48p) the thing lit up and became an absolute hammer! PULLED LIKE HELL! plus it started on one kick and the decel pop was all but gone! i would guess i conservatively picked up 4-5hp NO JOKE! i think if yamaha got their jetting right from the factory, they would be winning a whole lot more shootouts!

• matts06yzf

Posted September 27, 2007 - 06:30 AM

I almost went with another brand to be honest Adam, Damn glad I didnt. After putting over 200hrs on my 06 with not 1 valve adjustment, I really wanted a yamaha but the power had me thinking. I WAS WRONG. I have been a honda man all my life until the 450s. I have seen the problems with valves, topends, and everything else. I think Honda makes a good bike, no doubt, but alot more maintence. I have crf450s in my garage as well with less than half the hours my 06 yamaha has and they have issues. Get the Yamaha you will love it

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • adamdf

Posted September 27, 2007 - 07:30 AM

I almost went with another brand to be honest Adam, Damn glad I didnt. After putting over 200hrs on my 06 with not 1 valve adjustment, I really wanted a yamaha but the power had me thinking. I WAS WRONG. I have been a honda man all my life until the 450s. I have seen the problems with valves, topends, and everything else. I think Honda makes a good bike, no doubt, but alot more maintence. I have crf450s in my garage as well with less than half the hours my 06 yamaha has and they have issues. Get the Yamaha you will love it

Just out of curiousity? What skill level do you ride at? Just trying to gauge where we are at, whether on the same page or looking for similar things in a bike etc. Thanks for all the great info, once again.

• matts06yzf

Posted September 27, 2007 - 10:00 AM

Just out of curiousity? What skill level do you ride at? Just trying to gauge where we are at, whether on the same page or looking for similar things in a bike etc. Thanks for all the great info, once again.

Depends where we are:banghead: C to b I Kinda new to MX but been on bikes my whole life

• adamdf

Posted September 27, 2007 - 10:11 AM

Depends where we are:banghead: C to b I Kinda new to MX but been on bikes my whole life

The only reason i asked the question is because i have been riding mx my entire life and i may be looking for something different out of my bike than you. Sometimes that is important, a novice rider may hate a bike because it has way too much power, whereas a pro level or A level rider may love the same said bike and actually may think it could use a bit more power. From alot of reviews that i read last year, that was the case with many people on the CRF450R, pros loved it, novice riders hated it. I turst you know what you are talking about and i appreciate all the great info you have provided so far.

• adamdf

Posted September 27, 2007 - 10:52 AM

I literally bit the bullet just now and subscribed to the digital MXA. Just so everyone knows, they reviewed the DR.D exhaust for the 08 450 and they said the difference was amazing, they loved it.

• WileE1

Posted September 27, 2007 - 12:29 PM

I just purchased an 08 YZ450F.
I'm getting ready to go through it from top to bottom before I take it to the track to break it in. I'm with adamdf on this thread as far as like's and dislike's. Depends on the individual. I dont put all my money on what the publications say. I read all the reviews from Dirtbike, Dirt rider, MXA etc.. I'm not loyal to a brand either. I also own a KTM.
A buddy just got an "08" Yami 450f a few weeks ago and I was able to spin some laps on it. I was sold as soon as I through a leg over it. It rode superb for ME!. I was comfy as soon as I got on it. I'm an agressive vet novice mx rider 6ft 160lbs and still improving. I like the power and handling. I rode an 06 crf450 and that bike was a rocket, but it didnt feel comfortable.
I have been riding an 05 yz250f on the track for 2 years and that bike flat out rips. Plenty of usable power, but you got to shift it through gears like crazy and get it way up in the rev's to enjoy her character. I'm getting older and a bit lazy with the shifting. I wanted something a bit smoother with plenty of usable power and just as nimble.

Mine is all stock and I have a DR D pipe on oder. I'll break it in, in stock form then switch the pipes and see what the difference is. Starting seems to be an issue right now. I had a hell of a time getting it started when I got it home from the dealer. I will check the carb settings and see what i can do about that.

• matts06yzf

Posted September 27, 2007 - 04:23 PM

I had starting issues also. I put the DR D on and its gone 1st kick now. I am waiting for my aftermarket fuel screw to arrive. :thumbsup:

• IDAHOBALLER

Posted September 27, 2007 - 05:54 PM

I had starting issues also. I put the DR D on and its gone 1st kick now. I am waiting for my aftermarket fuel screw to arrive. :thumbsup:

Did you put an 06-07 year Drd pipe on it or is it the 08 version?

• matts06yzf

Posted September 27, 2007 - 07:00 PM

Did you put an 06-07 year Drd pipe on it or is it the 08 version?

There is not a 08 version YET. Off my 06

• WileE1

Posted September 27, 2007 - 09:00 PM

I called Dr D today to get jet settings. They have not produced a pipe specific for the "08" yet.

• WileE1

Posted September 28, 2007 - 03:30 AM

By the way, anyone els gonna run the Dr D on the 08, here was the base line they gave me. Sea level.
162 Main Move the needle clip to the #4 Stock pilot

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.