My 2008 Yz 450f Review

340 replies to this topic
  • adamdf

Posted September 18, 2007 - 06:31 AM

The magazines are always suspect when it comes to testing new bikes. Your going by others peoples opinions instead if your own. The only one way to find out if a bike is the one you truly want, you must go ride it yourself! The 08 may be exactally what your looking for right out of the box. Oh sure, you may have to tune it a bit but you have to do that to most bikes anyway.

The problem is, 90% of people don't have the opportunity to test 4 different bikes. I really think motorcycle dealerships should start considering this, especially the ones that carry multiple brands, it may be hard to do but in this day and age it is possible and i personally think consumers deserve a test ride.

• WB450

Posted September 18, 2007 - 07:34 AM

The problem is, 90% of people don't have the opportunity to test 4 different bikes. I really think motorcycle dealerships should start considering this, especially the ones that carry multiple brands, it may be hard to do but in this day and age it is possible and i personally think consumers deserve a test ride.

How could they keep you from test riding each brand if they sell them? We have a dealer in town that sells yellow green, and red, and I'm sure you can test ride all of them. I went the other way and bought white, a better bike IMO. (I don't care for that dealer).

• wes782

Posted September 18, 2007 - 08:46 AM

i think dealers should have tracks behind the shop and keep one brand new bike that someone could test ride and just keep up with the maint one it. haha wouldnt that be the day....

• matts06yzf

Posted September 18, 2007 - 09:26 AM

i think dealers should have tracks behind the shop and keep one brand new bike that someone could test ride and just keep up with the maint one it. haha wouldnt that be the day....

Yeah its hard enough trying to get them to let you sit on it. They act like its a bentley, hell Im gonna go tear it all up in the 1st month.

• SCIENCE

Posted September 18, 2007 - 10:03 AM

Back in the late 70's/early 80's we had two shops that had little tracks out back. You couldn't always test anything, but usually one of the employees (or owner) had the model dirtbike you were looking at (& would let you try).
Probably too much litigation in the world today.

• grayracer513

Posted September 18, 2007 - 10:14 AM

Probably too much litigation in the world today.

Everyone laughed at Dan Quayle, but he was smarter than he was given credit for. For example, he once pointed out that, "One of the main problems with the U.S. economy is that we have 20% of the World's population, and 80% of the World's lawyers."

• torque_demon

Posted September 19, 2007 - 01:31 PM

To change the topic a bit. has any one seen how effing expensive the graphics are for the white and black if you want to replace them? Holy cow. You can buy an entire set of plastic for less than 2 of the stickers. Now that's a country crock. How am i supposed to practice test my turn throsholds in ruts? I suppose you should buy a second set of plastics to tolerance test your bike in corners for a few weeks and then put the ones with the shiny graphics back on after.

• DPW

Posted September 19, 2007 - 01:43 PM

this may be cheaper ... http://www.yamaha-mo...0/0/detail.aspx

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted September 19, 2007 - 02:24 PM

Holy cow. You can buy an entire set of plastic for less than 2 of the stickers. Now that's a country crock. How am i supposed to practice test my turn throsholds in ruts? I suppose you should buy a second set of plastics to tolerance test your bike in corners for a few weeks and then put the ones with the shiny graphics back on after.

Yeah, the OEM graphics are priced to discourage anyone from ever buying them. The GYT-R that DPW showed (there are two for the blue and one white) are about $60.

What you could do is have two sets of plastics. Ride with one and put the other one on it while it's in the garage. :thumbsup:

• todds924

Posted September 19, 2007 - 02:47 PM

That is exactly what i did with my 08. I bought the extra set of white plastics and the GYTR kit and shelved the stock stuff....I have been thinking about putting the stock 08 stuff on my 06 though!!! Not to change the subject or anything but since this thread is about the 08 review...... I just got home from the track with my 08. WOW...Check this out. I didn't like the bike at all with the stock pipe and silencer. I kept the stock headpipe on it but changed out the silencer with my stock 06 silencer. It bolts right up with a little Swedging at the slip on part so the 08 gasket will drop right in. You need to use an 08 gasket and the 08 clamp. Anyway, what an improvement!!! I'm going to race it this weekend at Glen Helen, I'll let ya know how it does.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • torque_demon

Posted September 20, 2007 - 11:33 AM

Lucky dog, get to race in the sun. I have to race up here in the rain and mud in WA State this weekend. But I am definately going to see if I can get another pipe if it really bugs me power wise.

• grayracer513

Posted September 20, 2007 - 11:47 AM

Lucky dog, get to race in the sun.

Yeah, well, it ain't all bright green grass and chirping birds. The dust around here is unbelievable sometimes. Air filters every ride are mandatory.

• todds924

Posted September 20, 2007 - 07:26 PM

Absolutely a clean air filter every ride.......The nice thing about So Cal is you can ride a different track everyday of the week except Monday where your limited to one. Always races every weekend too. I did have a problem with the clutch on my 08 yesterday. After burning about 10 hard laps, I noticed i had about a half an inch of freeplay in my lever/ maybe more. I figured it was maybe just the initial cable stretch because the bike is new. I adusted it again and went out for 10 more laps. The freeplay stayed good but after sitting for 20 minutes the clutch cable was tight as a bow string?????? Never had this problem on my 06. Anybody else have any issues like this?

• djtroy

Posted September 20, 2007 - 08:19 PM

Absolutely a clean air filter every ride.......The nice thing about So Cal is you can ride a different track everyday of the week except Monday where your limited to one. Always races every weekend too. I did have a problem with the clutch on my 08 yesterday. After burning about 10 hard laps, I noticed i had about a half an inch of freeplay in my lever/ maybe more. I figured it was maybe just the initial cable stretch because the bike is new. I adusted it again and went out for 10 more laps. The freeplay stayed good but after sitting for 20 minutes the clutch cable was tight as a bow string?????? Never had this problem on my 06. Anybody else have any issues like this?

YES
I totally noticed that on the 08. Once it cools down the play dissapears. I guess you have to keep your eye on it.

• djtroy

Posted September 20, 2007 - 08:23 PM

I am so lost on this 08. If I wasnt 6'5 250 I wouldnt have a worry about power but I need all I can get to help even the playing field. Motocross Action slammed this bike. I am real so close to buying one but im scareddddddddddddddd:bonk:

Dont be, Grant Langston isin't

• todds924

Posted September 21, 2007 - 05:35 PM

The bike is awesome. I would recommend taking the stock "shorty" silencer off though and sticking a stock 06 silencer on it. What a difference it makes.

• torque_demon

Posted September 22, 2007 - 09:18 AM

I installed th G2 once but removed it. have yet to ride with it on the track I need to race and have a race tomorrow. We'll see how it goes on different tracks.

• CRF250dude26

Posted September 22, 2007 - 10:41 AM

The bike is awesome. I would recommend taking the stock "shorty" silencer off though and sticking a stock 06 silencer on it. What a difference it makes.

My freind put a stock 250F silencer on it because it is shorter than the stock 07 450 pipe and he said it made a little more bottom end snap.

• torque_demon

Posted September 24, 2007 - 08:03 PM

Holy Crapoli Batman! I put a quick turn throttle cam on my bike the night before a race and did a soft practice lap before the race to discover some outstanding pullon the uphill and straight aways. So first day of riding with the throttle cam... I pull up to the starting line on my cool new white black grey red with red anodized extras all over the YZ450 and this jerk kid standing next to the fence says, "Cool bike! Don't wreck!" So I'm doing my usaul clutch slip front brake loading in second gear waiting for the pin to disengage on my neighbors gate and shizaam it drops, I drop my clutch and twist while releasing the front break (I was waaaaay over the handle bars expecting some extra torque) got lazy and completely let my clutch go... low and behold, I'm gooning down the straight away with my chin practically touching the front fender to keep the front end down realizing I made a dreadful misjudgment on how much throttle I just hit the motor with... I flew off the bike and watched my bike head for the hole shot without me as my rearend bounces down the tarmac... That bike straight up takes off with a throttle cam. Any way, needless to say I got a crapy start the next time around because I was skidish about how much throttle to apply... but it made up for itself as I was able to stay on the throttle with very little effort after arm pump saturated my veins. Once I get used to that 1/4 turn throttle cam I'm confident I can roll to victory. First race on my 08 450... dead last 1st moto due to crash and 7th over all due to a lot of make up in the 2nd moto (and thats with being last through the hole 2nd moto).

• nzvetmxer

Posted September 26, 2007 - 02:40 PM

Hi guys

I put a FMF 4.1 system with a megabomb header pipe on my 2008 YZF450 and all I can say is wow. Now I have unreal power right from idle but still easy to ride. The throttle is so much snappier when you blip it but the difference on the track is just amazing. You can go a gear higher and roll the throttle on and its all there. Belive me its so different and sooooo much better. The power increase is right through the throttle range but most noticeable from idle to 1/2 throttle where the standard pipe makes the bike lazy.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.