My 2008 Yz 450f Review

340 replies to this topic
  • Hcor

Posted September 13, 2007 - 07:03 AM

I have a 08 YZ450F still stock; have had it for 3 weeks now. This is my first 4Ts and am getting used to it quickly after taking a break from bikes for 6 years. I already feel I am back to about 75% of where I was when I got out of the sport.
The first 1/4 of the throttle does seem to have less of an effect then from 3/8s on up. Where on my 2Ts It was immediate everywhere.
I happen to like this. My boyfriend rides a 08 Can-Am Renegade 800, and loves trail riding. While riding the trails I like being able to roll on the power smoothly to prevent wheel spin and better tractability in different conditions I don't have the strength to throw it around like some of you guys and have to ride with finesse. With this being said, I can go from 3/8 open on the throttle to just over half and the front tire comes right up in 3rd gear. Make the same movement from off throttle and nothing but acceleration. I don't know if it is just where the 4Ts build power or a function of the throttle and carb assembly.
I like riding Motocross, and a little more hit down low doesn't hurt either just stay off the bottom and I don't see how it can be bad. As far as my ability I have raced the 250 C class about 8 times 6 years ago on a 2Ts I have never won, 2 second places finishes, and have never finished last, and that is against all guys because not too many girls raced around here back then.
About the turning; OHHH MY GOD, I have never ridden a bike that was easier to turn and handle than this one. Again I don't have the strength to bully it as some of you men may.

I agree with Kristy^^^
My 08 is very smooth and controllable when just opening throttle, but when I start to twist it back a bit the beast is unleashed. My front wheel comes off the ground in 2 or 3rd if i give the throttle a decent twist. I love it, very smooth controlled traction, and hard hitting power when wanted. This bike handles better than my 250 did and Im quite happy with it.

• torque_demon

Posted September 13, 2007 - 07:27 AM

Agree'd very cool that a chick rides a 450F. My ex GF was a 125 rider. Also agreed this bike handles better than my old 250F. As far as the shifting goes, it really depends on what track I'm on so i need to just test it out some more. When fuel injection starts to come in I'll be anxious to see what there is to mix power commander hardware and throttle use. Motocross is going to get really interesting in the next 10 years when fly by wire throttles start to come in. part of my complaint with all of my dirt bikes the last couple years is how they don't respond anything close to what my 06 R6 does. That has a tunable fly by wire throttle so you can set them up perfectly for your wrist twist. I'll check out that G2 also.

• torque_demon

Posted September 13, 2007 - 08:17 AM

djtroy: Excellent tip on the throttle cam. Which E2 are you running? The pictures they had looked like the stock one was biger than the others. I'm looking for more response so i'd want a throttle cam larger than the stock one.

• grayracer513

Posted September 13, 2007 - 08:37 AM

You can do your own quick turn throttle:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=485653

• djtroy

Posted September 13, 2007 - 10:22 AM

djtroy: Excellent tip on the throttle cam. Which E2 are you running? The pictures they had looked like the stock one was biger than the others. I'm looking for more response so i'd want a throttle cam larger than the stock one.

Yes you can do your own but I got a quick turn throttle the aluminum throttle tube all for about 50-60 bucks. The guy from G2 was one of the nicest most helpful guys I have ever spoken to and based on that alone I would suppot him and his products.
I got the pro model and it lets you go to wide open without having your wrist and arm in a wierd position. I dont have to twist as far to get wide open. It takes out 10% of the twist. I knowo you can get 20% cams too btu I think that would be a biot too touchy on a 450 but I would do that in a second on a 250.

• adamdf

Posted September 13, 2007 - 10:41 AM

Yes you can do your own but I got a quick turn throttle the aluminum throttle tube all for about 50-60 bucks. The guy from G2 was one of the nicest most helpful guys I have ever spoken to and based on that alone I would suppot him and his products.
I got the pro model and it lets you go to wide open without having your wrist and arm in a wierd position. I dont have to twist as far to get wide open. It takes out 10% of the twist. I knowo you can get 20% cams too btu I think that would be a biot too touchy on a 450 but I would do that in a second on a 250.

hmm, i've never heard much about these products. Do any pros actually use them? Sounds kind of strange but good at the same time.

• djtroy

Posted September 13, 2007 - 03:07 PM

hmm, i've never heard much about these products. Do any pros actually use them? Sounds kind of strange but good at the same time.

I heard Suzukis already have athrottle on thier bike that has 10% less turn than the yz's. I couldnt ride without this thing.
Next time your on the track think about how many times your going over jumps and down the straights and you realize your not al the way to the lock full throttle position. I bet you will be surprised, its just not comfortable to have your wrist all the way down there.

• adamdf

Posted September 13, 2007 - 04:16 PM

I heard Suzukis already have athrottle on thier bike that has 10% less turn than the yz's. I couldnt ride without this thing.
Next time your on the track think about how many times your going over jumps and down the straights and you realize your not al the way to the lock full throttle position. I bet you will be surprised, its just not comfortable to have your wrist all the way down there.

I do totally agree with you, i have just not heard much about the product or what teams use a similar setup. Do you have a website so i can take a look at it?

• torque_demon

Posted September 17, 2007 - 10:54 AM

I just ordered one from Sam. He was pretty helpfull. I think this could save me a lot of seconds and help me win some battles here and there. Guys that get in front and stay in front wouldn't need a throttle cam. Guys like me that have crappy starts need a way to do battle without having to use my entire body to turn the throttle.

• matts06yzf

Posted September 17, 2007 - 04:20 PM

I am so lost on this 08. If I wasnt 6'5 250 I wouldnt have a worry about power but I need all I can get to help even the playing field. Motocross Action slammed this bike. I am real so close to buying one but im scareddddddddddddddd:bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • steve_97060

Posted September 17, 2007 - 04:51 PM

I am so lost on this 08. If I wasnt 6'5 250 I wouldnt have a worry about power but I need all I can get to help even the playing field. Motocross Action slammed this bike. I am real so close to buying one but im scareddddddddddddddd:bonk:

Well, DirtBike had their test of the 08 in the October issue... They showed a graph of a Dyno comparison between the 08 and the 07. The 08 had about 2 HP lower than the 07, but when they put an aftermarket (FMF) pipe on the 08 they got those 2 HP back. So that doesn't sound like the grossly underpowered bike that MXA described in their review.

I'm beginning to wonder about the validity of the MXA test after seeing what some of the other tests have shown. :thumbsup:

• MotoXT

Posted September 17, 2007 - 04:52 PM

Where did Motocross Action slam it? I can't find a write-up on their site. Thx.

• matts06yzf

Posted September 17, 2007 - 05:11 PM

Well, DirtBike had their test of the 08 in the October issue... They showed a graph of a Dyno comparison between the 08 and the 07. The 08 had about 2 HP lower than the 07, but when they put an aftermarket (FMF) pipe on the 08 they got those 2 HP back. So that doesn't sound like the grossly underpowered bike that MXA described in their review.

I'm beginning to wonder about the validity of the MXA test after seeing what some of the other tests have shown. :thumbsup:

So with a pipe you are even to a stock 07? That kinda sucks. I am just hoping that alot of guys feel the bike handles better because its slower. The part in Moto action I will quote it because its in my hand really pisses me off how true can this be here----"Does the Yzf handle better than a crf450? NO NO NO It still pushes from the center out" here another- " Is the 2008 yz450F faster than the 2007 yz450f NO not even close, the 2008 feels like a hopped up wr450 than a 2007yz450f.

Man this makes me wanna spend 6400 bicks tomoroow:bonk: I am confused again

• matts06yzf

Posted September 17, 2007 - 05:11 PM

Where did Motocross Action slam it? I can't find a write-up on their site. Thx.

october issue they really had nothing good to say at all:thumbsdn:

• steve_97060

Posted September 17, 2007 - 05:25 PM

So with a pipe you are even to a stock 07? That kinda sucks. I am just hoping that alot of guys feel the bike handles better because its slower. The part in Moto action I will quote it because its in my hand really pisses me off how true can this be here----"Does the Yzf handle better than a crf450? NO NO NO It still pushes from the center out" here another- " Is the 2008 yz450F faster than the 2007 yz450f NO not even close, the 2008 feels like a hopped up wr450 than a 2007yz450f.

Man this makes me wanna spend 6400 bicks tomoroow:bonk: I am confused again

unless that 6400 dollars is burning a hole in your pocket, I would hold off to hear what all the shootouts will have to say about all of the 450's...

if it is, go get a new Dirtbike and read what they had to say, they didn't throw it under the bus like MXA did...

• ZMoney520

Posted September 17, 2007 - 05:27 PM

A pipe really does wake it up. It may have the same hp but the power delivery is better than the 07 in my opinion and the turning is great (once i put a tall seat on it). The front end doesn't wash at all even in flat dry corners with no ruts/berms. I love the way this bike handles. I started a thread on here about 08 YZ450 review with WB pipe. Check it out for more detail on what I think about the bike. Can't wait for the first race this weekend.

• matts06yzf

Posted September 17, 2007 - 05:33 PM

What where the dyno numbers on the 08?

• Hcor

Posted September 17, 2007 - 07:05 PM

Take what these mags say with a grain of salt. There is a ton of bs to weed through in those reviews and shootouts. Advertising dollars make many of the decisions. Talk to the guys that are already on them, real world riders who actually spend time on the bikes.

My 08 has great power, good delivery, great stock equip (Pro tapers, Wide pegs, great suspension, Excel wheels, and it handles amazing. :thumbsup:

• MotoXT

Posted September 17, 2007 - 07:37 PM

The review is suspect to me. I went back and read every review of the '07 that I could find and it ranked right up at the top in everyone of them. A few testers commented on a slight push, but also noted that by slightly changing their riding position, or with some tweaks to the suspension, there was no problem. Now all of sudden MXA emphatically claims that there was/is a push problem.

I've read all of the ride reviews here on TT on the '08, and I have a good buddy that owns one, and by all acounts the bike handles like a dream. I went to a dealership tonight to make my decision and was able to compare the '08 CRF, KXF and YZF side-by-side. Unfortunately I could not ride each. The KXF felt way too big for me (I'm 5'6", 165#, and I'm coming off of a '06 KX250F), so I ruled it out pretty quickly. That left the Honda and Yamaha, and based on the "show room floor test" the bikes felt very similar (ergos, etc...). Here were the differences I noted but please note - I completely understand that once on the track on tuned bikes some or all of these observations could be thrown out the window, but this was the best I could do for now:
1) The YZF has more weight down low. It felt like a 125 when I tipped off of the stand. The CRF was similar, but not as light feeling.
2) The CRF is slightly taller in the seat
3) There is more room in the cockpit of the CRF, mostly due to its handlebars not being as swept as those on the YZF
4) The YZF has some nicer components - bars, wider pegs, Excel rims, nicer feeling levers, titanium rear spring
5) Both bikes had very similar feeling geometry up front (rake, trail, etc..), with the YZF's front wheel looking/feeling a little more under the bike. It also seemed like the seat on the YZF was a little flatter up towards the gas tank, making it easier to shift my weight forward.

Based on my visit, and the reviews here and from my buddy I'm going with the YZF. I felt really comfortable on it, more so than my KX250F. BTW - I've also checked out the KTM '08 450, and it's one sweet bike, but if feels bigger than the the CRF and YZF.

• BrittB

Posted September 17, 2007 - 08:16 PM

The magazines are always suspect when it comes to testing new bikes. Your going by others peoples opinions instead if your own. The only one way to find out if a bike is the one you truly want, you must go ride it yourself! The 08 may be exactally what your looking for right out of the box. Oh sure, you may have to tune it a bit but you have to do that to most bikes anyway.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.