My 2008 Yz 450f Review

340 replies to this topic
  • Ga426owner

Posted September 10, 2007 - 05:09 AM

I am thinking about going with the tall seat. I already have an extra stock seat base and was thinking about getting tall foam and a seat cover. I cant decide whether that is the better way to go or to just buy a SDG. I know Guts makes foam, which brings up another question, what is closest to stock, soft, med or firm? I also have an extra One Ind seat cover. Would it fit over the Guts tall foam?

if you get Gutz go with medium or hard
the soft is very very soft,,,,I have it and you settle in the low spot

• matts06yzf

Posted September 10, 2007 - 06:09 AM

if you get Gutz go with medium or hard
the soft is very very soft,,,,I have it and you settle in the low spot

Very true there. I like hard the best. Its hard but you will get used to it. My hard as come apart really fast though:banghead:

• Ga426owner

Posted September 10, 2007 - 08:54 AM

Very true there. I like hard the best. Its hard but you will get used to it. My hard as come apart really fast though:banghead:

Matt this sounds like a personal problem ...ha ha :ride:
Seriously call guts they may swap you a new one....it is not that old as I remember....they are very customer service friendly..:thumbsup:

• matts06yzf

Posted September 10, 2007 - 12:52 PM

Matt this sounds like a personal problem ...ha ha :ride:
Seriously call guts they may swap you a new one....it is not that old as I remember....they are very customer service friendly..:thumbsup:

haha, I sent them an email so we will see what they have to say I had to duck tape it together so I can still ride.

• polarbear

Posted September 10, 2007 - 08:05 PM

Well guys we did something interesting with my buddy's new 08 yz 450 saturday at the track. As you all know, a lot of people have been complaining (including myself) that it has now low-end. It sure feels that way. Well there was him, me on my 06 crf 450, my cousin on is 07 crf 450, and this other guy on an 05 rmz 450. We all took turns running hole shots against the yz 450. We would ride our own bikes a couple of hole shots, and then we would switch bikes and do a couple more. The track we ride on is loose soil, mixed with manuer and sawdust. We were totally surprised because 80% of the time, who ever was on the yz 450, would win the hole shot! We couldn't believe it. I'm still stunned. ALL BIKES ARE STOCK. We then figured it was winning because of the "tractable" low end power. It doesn't just take off spinning out of control. The rear wheel takes off spinning less and tracking better. We then went to the hard dirt off the track and did the some take offs and who ever was on the yz still won most of the time. I wouldn't say 80% of the time but more like 65 to 70% of the time. This last saturday was an absolute eye opener for me. It seems like if people can just get used of the YZ's slow roll on power they will realize that they are actually going faster. Everyone always wants more power, including me, but now I'm wondering myself if I've got the concept all backwards. The one thing the YZ does do well is hit really hard from the upper mid rpm range to the top. But it sure does feel mellow down low, but I guess it must work, we couldn't believe it on saturday.

• MxWFO

Posted September 11, 2007 - 05:25 AM

So True! I was actually kinda thinking about the same thing last night. I can't tell you how many times I've read reviews on so and so's "Factory" bike. Everytime the magazine talks about how hard the bike must be to ride, because being a factory bike it must have a TON of hp. Then when they ride it, sure it has quite a bit of Power, but it is almost always VERY Smooth power. Sometimes you ride a bike and the harder it hits the faster you think your going. But, in actuality your getting more wheel spin and probably tiring out quicker. I love the smooth power of my 08 YZ450. I can ride faster longer. Which is why all the "Factory" bikes have a smooth power.

• Butta

Posted September 11, 2007 - 06:12 AM

Well guys we did something interesting with my buddy's new 08 yz 450 saturday at the track. As you all know, a lot of people have been complaining (including myself) that it has now low-end. It sure feels that way. Well there was him, me on my 06 crf 450, my cousin on is 07 crf 450, and this other guy on an 05 rmz 450. We all took turns running hole shots against the yz 450. We would ride our own bikes a couple of hole shots, and then we would switch bikes and do a couple more. The track we ride on is loose soil, mixed with manuer and sawdust. We were totally surprised because 80% of the time, who ever was on the yz 450, would win the hole shot! We couldn't believe it. I'm still stunned. ALL BIKES ARE STOCK. We then figured it was winning because of the "tractable" low end power. It doesn't just take off spinning out of control. The rear wheel takes off spinning less and tracking better. We then went to the hard dirt off the track and did the some take offs and who ever was on the yz still won most of the time. I wouldn't say 80% of the time but more like 65 to 70% of the time. This last saturday was an absolute eye opener for me. It seems like if people can just get used of the YZ's slow roll on power they will realize that they are actually going faster. Everyone always wants more power, including me, but now I'm wondering myself if I've got the concept all backwards. The one thing the YZ does do well is hit really hard from the upper mid rpm range to the top. But it sure does feel mellow down low, but I guess it must work, we couldn't believe it on saturday.

THIS is one of the most useful tests I think I have read. "Seat of the pants" appraisals of a bike's performance does very little besides qualify the "fun factor" a bike has. A head to head test like this is what really brings out the comparisons. Thanks!!!!

Now I have to figure out a way to upgrade from my '05......:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted September 11, 2007 - 07:49 AM

It's exactly what happened with the '06 vs. my '03. Anyone who rode both bikes would say the '03 is far stronger off the low end than the '06, and yet, the '06 is faster. Anywhere. From a roll-on in second gear on asphalt, it's dead even until the top of 3rd on the '03, at which point the '06 starts to assert itself.

• djtroy

Posted September 11, 2007 - 09:07 AM

I think I could handle a smooth powerband just fine but the problem with the 08 is you cant just leave it in 3rd around most tracks. You have to shift this thing like a 125 to make it work. Thats what I cant get over.

• balls

Posted September 11, 2007 - 05:32 PM

We tryed an 08 kxf and 08 yzf at the same time, Both of us thought the kx was faster untill we lined them up, the yz pulled 1-2 bike lengths with either of us riding it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • polarbear

Posted September 11, 2007 - 06:15 PM

You know, I was just reading my online issue of motocross-action magazine and I can't believe how untrue everything they say is...yet I guess I can't blame them for saying what they said about the power. I thought the same thing! If and when they test the bikes together, if they still say what they said they are going to loose all their credibility with me and bike tests. Initially its very deceiving how it feels slow, but in fact its not. I am still in awe. Thanks for letting us know how it did with the 08KXF. They say those have tons of LOW END... Anyways, I dont even own one but I just fell every bike deserves true and honest information for those who are looking to buy.

• rollsy

Posted September 11, 2007 - 08:52 PM

WOW!!!
i just read the first 18 pages straight of this thread!b:crazy: (my head hurts!)
anyway i got sick of looking for my answer so i thought i would just ask myself!
I am lookin at buying the new 08 yz450 or buying an 07 ktm450f-sx.
I havent ridden a dirtbike for around 18months.. I have only ever raced once and that was on my friends xr200! :thumbsup:
I use to own a yz250 2 stroke (1992 model!) and have ridden my cousins 2000ish yz426's..
I want a bike that is going to have hard hitting power like the 426's and my old 2 stroke.. is the 08 yz450 up to it? when u twist the throttle does it feel like it wants to wheelstand?
thanks for any advice!
cheers
rollsy

p.s
most of my riding is bush trails but i will be looking at doing some grass track (thinks its called sx over thier?) and eduro type racing!

• mitocross

Posted September 11, 2007 - 11:39 PM

Buy YZ250 2st.

• djtroy

Posted September 12, 2007 - 05:05 AM

WOW!!!
i just read the first 18 pages straight of this thread!b:crazy: (my head hurts!)
anyway i got sick of looking for my answer so i thought i would just ask myself!
I am lookin at buying the new 08 yz450 or buying an 07 ktm450f-sx.
I havent ridden a dirtbike for around 18months.. I have only ever raced once and that was on my friends xr200! :thumbsup:
I use to own a yz250 2 stroke (1992 model!) and have ridden my cousins 2000ish yz426's..
I want a bike that is going to have hard hitting power like the 426's and my old 2 stroke.. is the 08 yz450 up to it? when u twist the throttle does it feel like it wants to wheelstand?
thanks for any advice!
cheers
rollsy

p.s
most of my riding is bush trails but i will be looking at doing some grass track (thinks its called sx over thier?) and eduro type racing!

Only a hardcore motocrosser will like this bike because those guys take a bike and change everything on it anyways. Yes it handles good and its can easily be made fast. I did it by replacing the head pipe, silencer and jetting. I also added a quick turn throttle.

• torque_demon

Posted September 12, 2007 - 11:40 AM

Ok, how'd you add Quick throttle turn? power commander settings? I agree the bike is faster off the line but I am a little worried about the amount of shifting required. Thats why I sold my 250F. i was getting sick of losing battles in and out of corners because of the amount of shifting I had to do. I guess I was destined to learn to shift a lot because I won't be changing bikes for the next 2 years. I don't mind smooth power in second for hole shots, but i do wish i could keep it in 3rd in and out of sweepers. I might have to get better with that front break to avoid wasting the entire race shifting.

• torque_demon

Posted September 12, 2007 - 12:02 PM

And another thing.... Stock power deliver would probably be great for motocross characteristic track but I would either rejet/repipe or change sprockets for supercross due to the need for quick acceleration out of tight corners and in between tightly spaced jumps.

• Butta

Posted September 12, 2007 - 08:13 PM

And another thing.... Stock power deliver would probably be great for motocross characteristic track but I would either rejet/repipe or change sprockets for supercross due to the need for quick acceleration out of tight corners and in between tightly spaced jumps.

I think the bike you are looking for, quick acceleration and no shifting, is the KTM 50 SX Super Senior.................

:thumbsup:

Honestly, shifting is part of riding. The faster you become, the more you are demanding from the bike, therefore you'll want to be in the meat of the powerband more and more as your skills develop. You can either gear it closer to your riding style, learn to shift, or regress in your skills to find your happiness.

Oh, one more option, wait another ten or so years and then buy the electric mx bikes.....they should be all direct drives......

• djtroy

Posted September 12, 2007 - 08:17 PM

Ok, how'd you add Quick throttle turn? power commander settings? I agree the bike is faster off the line but I am a little worried about the amount of shifting required. Thats why I sold my 250F. i was getting sick of losing battles in and out of corners because of the amount of shifting I had to do. I guess I was destined to learn to shift a lot because I won't be changing bikes for the next 2 years. I don't mind smooth power in second for hole shots, but i do wish i could keep it in 3rd in and out of sweepers. I might have to get better with that front break to avoid wasting the entire race shifting.

You can buy the quick turn throttle from G2 Ergonomics.

• kristylynn9598

Posted September 13, 2007 - 06:02 AM

I heard the 07 was supposed to be smoother but I didnt hear what was said about the 06 when it came out. All I kow is my 06 and 07 lift the front tire in second when you roll on the throttle. The 08 doesn't

I have a 08 YZ450F still stock; have had it for 3 weeks now. This is my first 4Ts and am getting used to it quickly after taking a break from bikes for 6 years. I already feel I am back to about 75% of where I was when I got out of the sport.
The first 1/4 of the throttle does seem to have less of an effect then from 3/8s on up. Where on my 2Ts It was immediate everywhere.
I happen to like this. My boyfriend rides a 08 Can-Am Renegade 800, and loves trail riding. While riding the trails I like being able to roll on the power smoothly to prevent wheel spin and better tractability in different conditions I don't have the strength to throw it around like some of you guys and have to ride with finesse. With this being said, I can go from 3/8 open on the throttle to just over half and the front tire comes right up in 3rd gear. Make the same movement from off throttle and nothing but acceleration. I don't know if it is just where the 4Ts build power or a function of the throttle and carb assembly.
I like riding Motocross, and a little more hit down low doesn't hurt either just stay off the bottom and I don't see how it can be bad. As far as my ability I have raced the 250 C class about 8 times 6 years ago on a 2Ts I have never won, 2 second places finishes, and have never finished last, and that is against all guys because not too many girls raced around here back then.
About the turning; OHHH MY GOD, I have never ridden a bike that was easier to turn and handle than this one. Again I don't have the strength to bully it as some of you men may.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 13, 2007 - 06:34 AM

very cool...a chick that rides and owns a 450....:thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.