My 2008 Yz 450f Review

340 replies to this topic
  • meyermetal

Posted September 06, 2007 - 04:04 PM

Everyone but MXA turns early bike tests into a giant suck fest. The rest of the magazines will agree with it being slow as soon as the 09's are released.

I didn't renew any mags this year except MXA and RacerX....All the other ones suck IMO..:thumbsup:

• MxWFO

Posted September 07, 2007 - 05:40 AM

The AMA puts a limit on the price of a set of forks at $4,500. This is mostly to help keep the playing field level. Although you can't tell me "Factory" suspension can be purchased for only $4,500. I believe this came about when they banned "factory" suspension from the 125 class. Which is why you can buy Pro Circuit factory kit forks. I think the Shock is limited to $1,750.

• grayracer513

Posted September 07, 2007 - 06:05 AM

The AMA puts a limit on the price of a set of forks at $4,500. This is mostly to help keep the playing field level. Although you can't tell me "Factory" suspension can be purchased for only $4,500. I believe this came about when they banned "factory" suspension from the 125 class. Which is why you can buy Pro Circuit factory kit forks. I think the Shock is limited to $1,750.

And what measures do they take to adjust for the difference between retail and manufacturer's cost? Do they calculate only the money that the team pays for it, or the value of it regardless of whether they bought it, or it was given to them? If it's a non-production issue from the suspension builder, who decides what it's worth?

More quasi-enforcible garbage from the AMA. They should just let the claiming rules control the expenditures.

• racerxx276

Posted September 07, 2007 - 06:10 AM

that rule only applys to the lites class.... langstons has full on works suspension as does all the factory boys in the 450 class...

• cnorton

Posted September 07, 2007 - 05:30 PM

I agree I am looking for jetting specs because this will really help. The pipe will make it "feel faster" beacause even though the short silencer is cool its too quiet for me. I know the noise has been an issue but trust me it is gonna take siome getting use to.
This bike will definately get bad reviews because of these things, trust me.
I would never say its a bad bike but it needs a little tweaking for sure.
As far as the cornering its great I can tell you that and if the motor can improve it will be 10x better to ride than the 06 / 7's if you hate how they corner.

Let me know if anyone has jetting that works. I am just above sea level, hot and humid in the Carolinas.
Im sure its running lean. I am going to get an air screw for it and try that but I would love to do the whole thing. Perhaps Zip ty can tweak it already. Maybe Ill send it away to them.

Do you think the lack of low end power makes it feel like it corners better?

• tw557

Posted September 07, 2007 - 05:38 PM

One thing I read about the 08 had me thinking if the shock linkage could be the somewhat improvement in cornering. They state the linkage acts softer in the first part of the stroke then stiffer in the middle and end of stroke with a higher rising rate. This could have the rear of the bike sitting higher mid turn then an equivalent 06. This would keep the rake alittle steeper mid turn while the suspension is compressed but normal rake going down the straight with the suspension at its rider sag settings.

• zak13

Posted September 07, 2007 - 08:51 PM

Ya my 2006 DOES NOT CORNER!!!!!

what happened did you weld your triple trees to the frame or sumthing ??? :thumbsup: :ride:

• Ga426owner

Posted September 08, 2007 - 10:16 AM

that rule only applys to the lites class.... langstons has full on works suspension as does all the factory boys in the 450 class...

and what does one call Villopotos and Townleys...suspension? I guarantee that the cost of these are way over the stupid AMA limit:excuseme:

• racerxx276

Posted September 08, 2007 - 12:23 PM

They run whats called A kit suspension. You can buy the exact same suspension from PC...Its as close to works suspension as you can get , but its still not as good as what the guys on the factory 450 teams run...

I'm sure the cost is more that what the AMA set , but when does the AMA ever enforce any of their rules??

• grayracer513

Posted September 08, 2007 - 12:25 PM

...when does the AMA ever enforce any of their rules??

When it's politically expedient for them to do so in order to advance their agenda.

Do I sound cynical? :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted September 08, 2007 - 05:56 PM

When it's politically expedient for them to do so in order to advance their agenda.

Do I sound cynical? :thumbsup:

yea, but with good cause and AMA factual Stupidity:excuseme:

• CRF250dude26

Posted September 08, 2007 - 06:19 PM

yea, but with good cause and AMA factual Stupidity:excuseme:

How do you like the triple clamps on your 06? after I sell my kawi I will be switching to yamaha and I plan on triple clamps, revalve, bars, and tires.

• polarbear

Posted September 08, 2007 - 09:11 PM

Does anyone know if the 05, 06, 07 exhaust sytems will fit on the 08???

• CRF250dude26

Posted September 09, 2007 - 04:11 AM

Does anyone know if the 05, 06, 07 exhaust sytems will fit on the 08???

Yes I am sure that the 06-08 exhaust will interchange, the 250F exhaust will fit also.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 09, 2007 - 06:47 AM

How do you like the triple clamps on your 06? after I sell my kawi I will be switching to yamaha and I plan on triple clamps, revalve, bars, and tires.

bike will turn darn good stock but with a couple caveats....the clamps and seat combo....made my 06 awesome..:thumbsup:

• Huckster

Posted September 09, 2007 - 06:54 AM

bike will turn darn good stock but with a couple caveats....the clamps and seat combo....made my 06 awesome..:thumbsup:

I am thinking about going with the tall seat. I already have an extra stock seat base and was thinking about getting tall foam and a seat cover. I cant decide whether that is the better way to go or to just buy a SDG. I know Guts makes foam, which brings up another question, what is closest to stock, soft, med or firm? I also have an extra One Ind seat cover. Would it fit over the Guts tall foam?

• grayracer513

Posted September 09, 2007 - 08:00 AM

the 250F exhaust will fit also.

Nope. Header is too small to fit the head, and the bend is wrong due to the height and tilt of the cylinder. Besides, it wouldn't be anywhere near right for the 450.

• CRF250dude26

Posted September 09, 2007 - 08:24 AM

Nope. Header is too small to fit the head, and the bend is wrong due to the height and tilt of the cylinder. Besides, it wouldn't be anywhere near right for the 450.

The header won't fit but the slip on part will fit. My buddy has a stock YZ250F slip on on his 06 YZ450F.

• djtroy

Posted September 09, 2007 - 01:04 PM

I am thinking about going with the tall seat. I already have an extra stock seat base and was thinking about getting tall foam and a seat cover. I cant decide whether that is the better way to go or to just buy a SDG. I know Guts makes foam, which brings up another question, what is closest to stock, soft, med or firm? I also have an extra One Ind seat cover. Would it fit over the Guts tall foam?

ANYONE???

• torque_demon

Posted September 09, 2007 - 09:41 PM

Just rode my new '08 for the first time with a custom suspension. I can't really judge the ride since I've modified the suspension but the power seems ok. I can clear every jump at my local track with very minimal effort. The one thing I will say that sucked was some how between the suspension shop and the dealership that picked it up for me and rechecked the bike the forkes got dialed to UNEVEN SETTINGS!!! Nearly @#$^(*^@$ killed me on a very fast 35 to 40 mph big bounce! I was PO'd when I pulled into the pit and checked the settings. Also, most dealers could give a &^@$ less wether your tire pressure is correct off the floor (CHECK IT YOURSELF!). Summary - - Make sure your suspension is dialed even if nothing else! Any way, I have the white/red/black/grey bike and put some custom red annodized this and that on it and the bike is flat out sick looking. I was having a little trouble rolling up a steep climb with lose rocks and dirt but I can't really complain. I need to practice more.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.