My 2008 Yz 450f Review

340 replies to this topic
  • adamdf

Posted September 05, 2007 - 10:38 AM

Speaking of pro suspension. I havent even ridden my bike yet and Its in the shop getting a $2K suspension upgrade. I have the Devol pro's putting in the works. I probably should have ridden it before I spent the money but suspension is the one thing I never trust with my life. I'd spend up to 5K but they don't have a package like that and Devol is doing pro suspensions so I'll take it. I also bought a pro metal grill alloy radiator guard and skid plate with wings. I've spent close to $11k so far. I'm racing 2 days a week and riding different tracks 3 to 4 days a week so I have to have stuff that dies hard.

Speaking of totally pro bikes. theres an '06 or '07 YZ250F that was a spare for the Bookoo team for sale in the Seattle Craigs list. It was given to the riders buddy fully intact (pro-circuit factory build). The bike is completely bad @$$!

Man, i would have to say that from reading your posts, you are either a little too paranoid about the stock stuff, or you just like to spend a lot of cash. All the aftermarket parts in the world don't necessarily make your bike better, they may customize it or change it, but not always for the better. And about riding your bike before you sent it off to devol, i say you should have with a resounding YES OFCOURSE. How can you tell them what needs to be improved when you don't know what your starting with?

• torque_demon

Posted September 05, 2007 - 10:39 AM

This may be a little over kill; but for those of you who enjoy problems you can apply the following principles to identify the CG with you on the bike with some general approximations: http://www.wikihow.c...nter-of-Gravity

• torque_demon

Posted September 05, 2007 - 10:59 AM

My buddies who ride pro recommend suspension always be the first change to a bike. I agree also that I am paranoid and have torn and broke the crap out of my body riding this last year; I've had neck vertibret fracture twice, torn rotator cuffs, hyper extended knee, broken wrist, etc. Anything I can do helps. My neck is always jacked up after bigger doubles and tripples that I botch. So I do everything I can to reduce the pounding on my neck and back. I use the lightest helmet I could find and the Leatt neck brace. Going to a lighter helmet has helped my neck the most next to suspension tuning.

• torque_demon

Posted September 05, 2007 - 11:10 AM

Also, they run calculations on your body weight, gear weight and riding style to come up with the initial suspension settings.

• torque_demon

Posted September 05, 2007 - 11:29 AM

By the way, there are cost restrictions on bikes entered into pro class races.

http://www.amaprorac...07 Rulebook.pdf

I know there are ways around it (like they I'm sure they don't tally the cost of the engineering research, machining or trials).

• Ga426owner

Posted September 05, 2007 - 02:37 PM

Wow...Dirt Rider actually likes the 08 Yami......
that sure is different than years past...and MXA hates it....what gives....as if it even matters anyway:excuseme:
I think the 08 is a fine machine......buy it,try it, race it or sell it........it will not be the wrong choice at all:thumbsup:

And if Langston can win on it as it is.....and as he is, then hopefully Yami will sell a ton on them......hell he just may take the National Title:applause:

• CRF250dude26

Posted September 05, 2007 - 04:14 PM

I quite honestly do not care if Langston's motor is the same as the stock one or even if its a darn CRF motor stuck in there. As long as his chassis is stock then that is important. After watching the national at steel city on Speed last night, it was very clear how much easier the Yamaha was to flick around and scrub jumps with than the other bikes. Langston is not known for his flare as much as he is known for being a strong fighter. I would expect to see Windham with all his style throwing that CRF around a bit more than Langston, but it was clear that YZF felt very "125cc light" to Langston. I was impressed.

If a 07 with 24mm clamps has the same demensions as the stock 08 why would the 08 factory bike be so much better than the 07? I am sure yamaha has tested different clamps?

• grayracer513

Posted September 05, 2007 - 04:31 PM

If a 07 with 24mm clamps has the same demensions as the stock 08 why would the 08 factory bike be so much better than the 07? I am sure yamaha has tested different clamps?

There are three different trail specs listed in the manual for any given year; US, Euro, and French. So, there are at least that many available clamps or lower fork legs or combos available.

More to the point, who says GL, or anyone else on the Yamaha (or any other) team is running the stock clamps?

• CRF250dude26

Posted September 05, 2007 - 05:12 PM

There are three different trail specs listed in the manual for any given year; US, Euro, and French. So, there are at least that many available clamps or lower fork legs or combos available.

More to the point, who says GL, or anyone else on the Yamaha (or any other) team is running the stock clamps?

I never said he was running stock clamps, If the 07 and 08 have the same frame, how came they can't make the 07 factory bike like the 08 factory bike?

• kx1984

Posted September 05, 2007 - 05:31 PM

So now I'm baffled. I was thinking the diff review in the low end power might be because one of the guys was in the deep south and the other up North in Canada but the other canook seemed to agree with the southern guy so I don't know what to expect this Friday.

Possibilities:
1. There are 3 pilot jets that come with the bike. Do you guys have the same one installed?
2. What fuel are the two of you running?
3. How much do each of you weigh? (Could the loading on the engine cause a different low end response?)
4. Did the 2006 bike you had tuned before have a set of tires specified for your track? Maybe you're losing pull on the traction and the weaker sound of the pipe makes the overall fealing slow.
5. The suspension could effect the traction I suppose as well.
6. Did the guy with the wrench make something too tight? I'm conflicted cause I can still get a brand new 07 OR 06 in Nor Cal. for thousands less.

Maybe a combination of these things could be causing the different review. I hope mine is one of the fast ones! :thumbsup:

Your not kidding. I just got the new Dirt Rider ,the new Dirt Bike and MXA. MXA says super slow. Dirt Rider says perfect blen of 06 and 07 spec. Dirt BIke says Slow and tries (with Dyno chart) a full FMF system and Pro Circuit system. MXA says its down 6 hp from 07. Dirt Bike says it is down 2 HP from 07. Transworld said it pulls 3rd up Mt. St.Helen. ARE there two powerbands available? I hope I get a FAST one aswell. I wonder if there was something wrong in production. By the way, Dirt Bike says it does not turn aswell. They say no one could come to grips with the bike standing up in corners. Dirt Rider says it turn better than ever. One thing I do know. Every Magazine said my 06 CRF450R was the bike of the century and I have hated it since day two. Day one I thought I just did'nt have it dialed in yet so I took the blame.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dano945

Posted September 05, 2007 - 05:40 PM

Own a 06 yz450 Some days I hate how it handles, some days love it. Power has never been a issue with this bike.. Handling is. You can't ride a fast bike with bad handling but can have a ton of fun on a slower bike with great handling.. Usually go home in one piece too.... I know my next bike will handle first, then become fast later if need be.. Maybe there should be a revolution... Dealerships have a demo bike at the track so we can decide before we buy.....just wishing..

• grayracer513

Posted September 05, 2007 - 08:22 PM

I never said he was running stock clamps, If the 07 and 08 have the same frame, how came they can't make the 07 factory bike like the 08 factory bike?

But, dude, I've never said they couldn't, and there's no proof they can't. :thumbsup:

Every Magazine said my 06 CRF450R was the bike of the century and I have hated it since day two.

I think that sums it up.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 06, 2007 - 06:14 AM

Own a 06 yz450 Some days I hate how it handles, some days love it. Power has never been a issue with this bike.. Handling is. You can't ride a fast bike with bad handling but can have a ton of fun on a slower bike with great handling.. Usually go home in one piece too.... I know my next bike will handle first, then become fast later if need be.. Maybe there should be a revolution... Dealerships have a demo bike at the track so we can decide before we buy.....just wishing..

there is hope for your 06....clamps, SDG Tall seat to start....

• adamdf

Posted September 06, 2007 - 10:06 AM

You are totally correct, handling and cornering abilities of a machine are far more important than anything else.

• MxWFO

Posted September 06, 2007 - 12:02 PM

I completely agree also. Which is why I can never understand why people will spend a ton of money on a new pipe and motor mods before having their suspension done. If the power isn't getting to the ground it is no good. I will say this though. My new 08 Yamaha has the best Stock suspension I have ever ridden. Suspension is always the first thing I have done, and I have actually contemplated leaving it stock. It is that good!!

• torque_demon

Posted September 06, 2007 - 03:29 PM

Yep, suspension. but it depends of course on the rider and riders weight/style etc. I went ahead and dropped it off for the custom suspension. It'll be done tomorrow. May not be feeling well enough to work.

• torque_demon

Posted September 06, 2007 - 03:31 PM

by the way, the AMA Pro rule book says exactly how much you're allowed to spend on suspension before it's disqualified bike.

• dano945

Posted September 06, 2007 - 03:38 PM

there is hope for your 06....clamps, SDG Tall seat to start....

5'7, so the tall seat is not for me...... besides have you ridden a RMZ450?? Since RC came on board, they have become lower center machines, and that makes a huge difference... I might be yellow in the future... 06 YZ450 for sale.... PM or email dano945@yahoo.com

• RCannon

Posted September 06, 2007 - 03:58 PM

Your not kidding. I just got the new Dirt Rider ,the new Dirt Bike and MXA. MXA says super slow. Dirt Rider says perfect blen of 06 and 07 spec. Dirt BIke says Slow and tries (with Dyno chart) a full FMF system and Pro Circuit system. MXA says its down 6 hp from 07. Dirt Bike says it is down 2 HP from 07. Transworld said it pulls 3rd up Mt. St.Helen. ARE there two powerbands available? I hope I get a FAST one aswell. I wonder if there was something wrong in production. By the way, Dirt Bike says it does not turn aswell. They say no one could come to grips with the bike standing up in corners. Dirt Rider says it turn better than ever. One thing I do know. Every Magazine said my 06 CRF450R was the bike of the century and I have hated it since day two. Day one I thought I just did'nt have it dialed in yet so I took the blame.

Everyone but MXA turns early bike tests into a giant suck fest. The rest of the magazines will agree with it being slow as soon as the 09's are released.

• grayracer513

Posted September 06, 2007 - 03:59 PM

by the way, the AMA Pro rule book says exactly how much you're allowed to spend on suspension before it's disqualified bike.

Really? How much?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.